June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @VydorScope If Philly 2018 is your next marathon, that's tons of time. You're looking at dropping 37sec/mile in that time from your marathon time. I'd say that's doable, but I'll be running my first full in 6 days, so I'm not the most knowledgeable.... Welcome!

Not Philly, Pittsburg :) But yes. We have a marathon here every year, the first Sunday in May so it is "my race." I have run it twice so far, and plan to make it a yearly thing so long as I can.

For your first full, let me give you a tip that I wish I listened to. Start SLOWER than your target pace. So say your target pace is 10 min. Run the first half at like 10:15 or 10:30. Then in the middle some place slowly increase your pace. This is called "negative splits" and for inexeperence runners at the marathon and longer distances is a great way to insure you do not do poorly your first trip out.

If there are hills on the course, run them based on EFFORT and not PACE. (this is KEY) This means you will be slower on the up hills and faster on the down hills, but that is okay. It will all come out in the wash.

I know one ultra marathoner that highly recomends that if you hit a really steep/tough hill, to actually walk it. It will give you a bit of a rest and prevent you from burning out on that hill. He tells me in several races, he was able to walk the nastiest hills at a quicker pace than the runners were able to run it. I have not been able to make myself do that yet, but logically it makes sense. A fast walk and a slow jog are in the same ball park of pace, but the walk uses less engery.

Also, do not do like I did my first marathn and skip the last 6 miles of water stations. You will not be happy with the results. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Had my first 60-minute run yesterday without stopping. Ran 5.20 miles at 11:35 per mile. Overall it felt pretty good, although a struggle at the end for sure.

June: 19.01 / 50

YAY!! Good job!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Bamburgh 10k today and I got a PB. 57.17 on my little legs :)

I'm over the moon!

Congrats!!! PB's are the best! :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    I
    On another note, I'd always used Runtastic to map my runs as liked the interval feature when I started out via a modified C25K. Knowing many of you use Strava I thought I'd check that out and had both running (on same phone) during my run. Was quite surprised how different the results came out, even accounting for the fact Strava was recording for 11seconds longer than Runtastic!

Runtastic: 6.49km; 62m climbing; 511 kcal
    Strava: 6.7km; 71m climbing; 624 kcal

Interestingly my weight is listed as lighter in my Strava profile (75kg) than my Runtastic profile (76.7kg) so surprised the calorie figures are so much more. I know they're all estimates anyway, but whilst I'm still trying to get down to goal weight I'll probably stick with Runtastic. Maybe I'll join you all on Strava in a few months time!

I am not sure what is up with Strava. Not only does it give me way higher calorie counts, it also has me going faster! So, for example:

RunKeeper: 7.01 miles, 1:07:26 time, 9:37 pace, 994 Calories
    Strava: 7.01 miles, 1:00:20 moving(?) time, 1:07:26 elasped(?) time, 8:36 pace, 1120 Calories

Now, that is the exact same run, imported into Strava from RunKeeper (I have a service that keeps them in sync).
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 Love the pink medal!

@RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Awesome PB!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @WhatMeRunning! I don't know what any of that means but will look it up! :)

Thanks, @VydorScope, it's been fun reaching these milestones that I never thought I could!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld congrats on the 10k PB!!!

@shrcpr awesome job on the 60 min run! One of my favorite things about running is when I do something that a little while ago, I never thought would be possible. Keep it up!!!

@sktobin welcome to the most awesome group on MFP!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @shrcpr - Be prepared to get a little confused when looking it up. The most basic description of your "lactate threshold pace" is the maximum pace you can maintain running for 60 minutes. That sounds very close to what you did since you struggled that last stretch, meaning you probably couldn't have gone much (if any) faster.

Again though, if you aren't looking into that sort of thing to plan various types of workouts as part of a training routine, it might just be some of the most boring minutiae ever. But once you really get into the data crunching side of running and training, that LT HR and LT Pace are pure gold.
  • KatieJane83
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @shrcpr - Be prepared to get a little confused when looking it up. The most basic description of your "lactate threshold pace" is the maximum pace you can maintain running for 60 minutes. That sounds very close to what you did since you struggled that last stretch, meaning you probably couldn't have gone much (if any) faster.

Again though, if you aren't looking into that sort of thing to plan various types of workouts as part of a training routine, it might just be some of the most boring minutiae ever. But once you really get into the data crunching side of running and training, that LT HR and LT Pace are pure gold.

Getting back to this LT discussion, yesterday's 10k took me 58:06, and my avg hr was 179 (at some point I hit 191, which I think is pretty close to my max hr. I really need to do an actual max hr test one of these days). It was hillier and warmer than the previous week's 10k. My previous week's PR 10k took me 53:43, and my avg hr was only 174. This is, of course, now leading me to wonder whether I could have squeezed a little more time off of that 53:43, since yesterday I managed to sustain a higher hr for a longer time, lol. #overthinkingrunnerproblems :D
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    I am not sure what is up with Strava. Not only does it give me way higher calorie counts, it also has me going faster! So, for example:

RunKeeper: 7.01 miles, 1:07:26 time, 9:37 pace, 994 Calories
    Strava: 7.01 miles, 1:00:20 moving(?) time, 1:07:26 elasped(?) time, 8:36 pace, 1120 Calories

Now, that is the exact same run, imported into Strava from RunKeeper (I have a service that keeps them in sync).

I see the same thing with data imported from Garmin to Strava. Apparently Strava automatically strips out what it sees as non-moving time, and Garmin only does that if I turn on auto-pause.

The difference in calorie burn is even more striking between Garmin and Strava. For a recent run, with the same data and with both knowing my age, height, weight, and gender, Garmin said 640 calories and Strava said 1076 calories. I ignore them both like I ignore race spectators telling me I'm almost done. They're all liars.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – 8.25 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/2 – rest day
    6/3 – 12.18 solo + group run
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with fast finish
    6/5 – 7.07 easy
    6/6 – 11.05 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/7 – 7.38 group run
    6/8 – 5.33 warm up, easy speed work, cool down
    6/9 – 3.01 warm up + McMullen Mile
    6/10 – 15.01 group run 6 + solo run 9
    6/11 – 10.01 hot and sunny

June total to date – 86.50

Nominal Challenge Goal – 230 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Run McMullen Mile in under 5:50 on June 9. [Done, at 5:44.9!] Run Medved 5K to Cure ALS in under 20:00 on June 18.

Today's notes – Today the plan says "one hour easy," but the weekly mileage target is 62 miles. I really want to keep my rest day on Friday, and I don't particularly want to stretch Saturday's long run beyond the maximum 13 miles the plan calls for, because I want to be fresh enough to race a 5K next Sunday. So when I subtract out the estimated distances for my quality workouts this week, that gives me 3 days of easy runs that are 10 miles long this week. Such is marathon training; later in the plan there will be tempo intervals that stretch longer than this.

I messed up my sleep schedule this weekend. I was up past midnight Friday after the evening with McMullen Mile, scrambled to get to a 7:30 AM group run Saturday, and was up past midnight Saturday after taking my daughter to a minor league baseball game with 7:05 PM first pitch and fireworks after the game. So this morning I didn't get up till 8:30, and didn't finish breakfast till 11. Got out to run at 1 PM, in the heat of the day. Garmin says 84º F (29º C) when I started; the porch thermometer said 87.8º F (31º C) when I got done. And it was sunny.

Even with reasonable humidity, it felt pretty warm.

Early in the run I decided to ditch the idea of running my usual hilly 10 mile route in reverse. A brief eastbound stretch was uncomfortable, with no wind. I headed for the Lehigh Valley Trail, where I remembered a lot of shade. Except this was 1 PM daylight savings time, or close to solar noon. There wasn't all that much shade on the trail, which runs mostly north-south. Whatever. I took the intermittent patches of shade I could find. At the far end, I wasn't far enough along, so I ran on an exposed section toward the Erie Canal Trail. Found a shady segment of trail I'd never run before, and ran that; there were a lot of branches and roots on the ground, and low branches to duck, but it got me to Genesee Valley Park, where I could run a bit of a loop mostly in shade. Then back down the Lehigh Valley trail toward home.

Just like yesterday, my legs started feeling pretty heavy about 9.25 miles in. But today, there wasn't all that much more to run. The eastbound stretch near home was uncomfortable, like running in a dead calm in the sunshine; but that was only about 0.3 miles. Clicked over 10 miles right at my driveway, and was delighted to stop at that point.

Last summer, I ran quite a bit at 91º F (33º C) with high humidity. Clearly, I'm not acclimated to that yet this year. But it's got to be done. I have a race next Sunday, and probably 2 races in July. Any or all of them could have weather like I ran in today, and I need to be able to run in it.

Miscellaneous notes: A while back, I bought several gels of different brands and flavors than I had used before, to try them out. Today the Honey Stinger Chocolate gel came up in rotation. Either it is the absolute best tasting chocolate gel I've tried, including all variations of chocolate, mocha, chocolate-cherry, etc.; or my body really, really needed a gel when I took it at 5.2 miles.

No pictures today. There were places that were pretty enough for a picture, but that's not where my head was when I was running.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Bamburgh 10k today and I got a PB. 57.17 on my little legs :)

I'm over the moon!

@RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Go you!! That's fantastic (I also have little legs).
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    6/1 - 8 miles (daily double: 3.5 & 4.5)
    6/2 - 9 miles
    6/3 - 5 mile recovery run
    6/4 - GW Bridge Challenge 10k (PR - 53:43)
    6/5 - 6.25 mile recovery run
    6/6 - 9 soaking wet miles
    6/7 - 8 miles w/summer track workout (4x1000m w/400m recoveries)
    6/8 - 10 miles (daily double: 6 & 4)
    6/9 - rest
    6/10 - NYRR Mini 10k (6.3 miles - 58:09)
    6/11 - 13 mile slow, hottt, long run

June Total: 80.75/140

681.6 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

So, I got my 13 miles in. By the end it was 90, with a realfeel of 92, although with reasonable humidity, but this was, by far, my warmest run of the year so far. Yayyy, so excited to get acclimated to running in the summer heat/humidity. Ughhh

I had zero pace goals, since I knew it was gonna be hot, I just raced yesterday, and I've had a 12 day stretch with only one rest day. This was also one of my hilliest long run routes, but I did that intentionally, as my upcoming hm is going to have a total elevation gain of 900ft, which will be the most I've done at that distance. According to my data, today's run either had a total elevation gain of 599ft (Garmin) or 680ft (Strava). Wish I knew which one was right, lol. I brought a 24oz water bottle on my run, and by the time I hit the water fountain again at mile 11.6 I was very excited to see it. I estimate that I took in around 36oz of water, just while running. I also had my shot bloks with extra sodium with me, since I knew with the heat that I'd be losing a lot of fluids.

Overall, I feel really good about today's run, and just really really strong in my running in general. I am running more than I ever have in my life, and I am continually amazed at how much I am able to do. Tomorrow is a rest day, and this coming week will be a taper week for my hm, at only 38 miles (and the fact that I am saying 'only' 38 miles is a mind-blower right there for me!), and 35 miles the following week, which is race week.
  • HouseOwlet
    HouseOwlet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    June goal: 30
    June 8th: 1.1
    June 9th: 1
    June 10th: 1.1
    June 11th: 1.2
    Total: 12.6
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    I just got a new phone and downloaded Strava as my first app (obviously). I requested to join the MFP group! Looking forward to using a GPS app while running for the first time later tonight.

There is a MFP group?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Looks like this has been an active day for both running and posting in here! Had company over for a few hours and that was great! But now the rest of the family is napping, and my taper freak out is hitting again..... I always thought taper crazies were just a joke people made...nope, not any more, they are totally real, they eat your soul, and they totally suck.

Hope you are all having a runderful day!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    It is in the 90's here right now. Was planing an easy run after my 15 miles in the upper 80's yesterday. Having a hard time convincing myself to go out. heh