June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - thanks for the repost. I was going to message @orphia to see if she could send the info to me!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2
    6/6- 3.2
    6/7- 8.0
    6/8- REST
    6/9- 3.2

Total: 47.1

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: Rest day today so, of course, I couldn't sleep this morning. I woke up with the horrible dreading feeling that I didn't really want to run my 9 mile FFLR.... Then I remembered today was Sunday, and I ran that run yesterday with no rel issues.... LOL.... That counts as a taper issue, right?

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot

Possible? 2017 Races
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon

@Ohhim Thanks for the input on gear bags. My basic thought was dry clothes (shorts/shirt) sandals, and phone. I don't normally carry cash, but I was thinking, since I've done it on Long Runs, carry a CC and my DL in the back pocket on my shorts, so I have something with me at the finish, but I don't have to worry about losing it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @VydorScope If Philly 2018 is your next marathon, that's tons of time. You're looking at dropping 37sec/mile in that time from your marathon time. I'd say that's doable, but I'll be running my first full in 6 days, so I'm not the most knowledgeable.... Welcome!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0
    Jun 05     3.6        8.6
    Jun 07     3.7       12.3
    Jun 09     3.6       15.9
    Jun 10     5.1W      21.0 Bare Cove
    Jun 11     5.1       26.1

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Great running! And that sounds like a great event.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Today's easy 4.5 mile run was at my adjusted HR levels, resulting in an overall slower pace, and more frequent walking, but it went well and the average pace doesn't look too terrible given the temps outside today.

I still have a lot of changes to make, I noticed after my run that the reported HR zones on Garmin Connect were based on my old ones, so all of the HR based data on todays run is basically wrong. Strava and Sport Tracks will also need updating.

Yesterday I took an unscheduled rest day since I realized I had been training too hard for several weeks, and also because of the maximum effort sprint intervals I had done recently. I slept in the last two nights, getting some amazing deep sleep, and this morning I read my resting HR for the first time in a few weeks. It was right on target at my normal 48bpm for my fully rested resting HR. That was reassuring. :smile:

So as for a target 5k event 6 weeks from now, it just so happens that the San Francisco Half Marathon is 6 weeks from today. I don't plan to try and race that one, I want to enjoy the scenery and take it all in. I signed up for a 5k the weekend before that on Saturday 7/15, so my target race is 5 weeks out. I also signed up for another 5k on Independence Day 7/4 because it is practically in my backyard, I've run it every year since I learned about it, and it can serve as a practice race.

6/1 - rest
    6/2 - 3.1 miles
    6/3 - 13.1 miles
    6/4 - 4.5 miles
    6/5 - 9 miles
    6/6 - 4.5 miles
    6/7 - 6 miles
    6/8 - rest
    6/9 - 8.5 miles
    6/10 - rest
    6/11 - 4.5 miles

53.2 of 170 miles completed

exercise.png
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1 = Gym day; 3 miles on the treadmill and 40 minutes of strength training
    6/2 = 6 miles
    6/3 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/4 = 13.9 miles (run/walk)
    6/5 = 8.1 miles & strength training
    6/6 = rest day
    6/7 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/8 = 5.5 miles
    6/9 = 6 miles
    6/10 = Hatha yoga class
    6/11 = 10 miles (run/walk)

Ten miles on a gorgeous Sunday morning with the ladies running (/gossip) group. My hips and hamstrings have been tight and my Achilles heel has been a little sore this past week. From the speed intervals last week? I cut my run off at 10 miles and I skipped gym/strength training yesterday -- went to yoga instead. My legs are feeling better but I might dial back my mileage a bit this week just to be on the safe side.

Oh! I registered for another half marathon in October. I can now put my upcoming races in the bottom of my posts like all the cool kids in the group! :)

(June miles to date) 66.5/150 (June goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    6/17 = Verns no Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Congrats @shrcpr on the full hour run! It's a big milestone for sure. From the sounds of it, you now know your lactate threshold pace, and if you were measuring your heart rate then you can also find your lactate threshold HR. Both of these are key in determining proper effort for various training runs, if you are looking into any of that.

@amymoreorless - Be careful with that achilles. One thing that really sucks about tendons being strained is that they take so much longer to heal than muscles and are a lot more sensitive to continued stresses. Low impact active recovery is better for them than RICE, but less is more.

@allyphoe - There is zero chance I would have tolerated that walking pacer over a 15:00 walking pace! :lol: I can generally do 17:00 to 20:00 walking, and am running (run/walking) in the 14:00 to 15:00 range depending on distance. So, yeah, that person would not have found me to be pleasant company hearing that! :lol: If they had nuts theirs would have been threatened by my slow feet.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Congrats @cameronheel on the weight!

Way to go @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld, great 10k time!
  • sktobin
    sktobin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started clocking my KMs after a 10k race last weekend.

June 4-10km
    June 5-rest
    June 6-5km
    June 7-5km
    June 8-6km
    June 9-4km
    June 10-rest
    June 11-10km

Gearing up for a 10 miler in July. This is keeping me accountable! Great forum. So many awesome and committed runners!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm back!!! Just been out for my first run in about 6 weeks, during which time life has been getting the better of me! Ended up with 6.5km, and although the legs were fine my CV fitness was completely shot - even the 2% inclines felt really tough, but I was pretty pleased with my overall pace.

I've got a HM booked in exactly 4 weeks - today gave me some confidence I might be able to complete it if I put the effort in over the next 3 weeks (though won't be threatening the time from my first HM) but will see how the next couple of weeks go.

So, having been away for a while and missed the first 1/3 of the month, I'll set my goal to 60km. If I get back into the swing of things and decide to go for my HM then I should reach this but we'll see...

NB: I'm not even going to try to catch up on all I've missed but I hope all your runs/races are going well and those of you injured are making positive steps towards recovery.
    ~~~
    On another note, I'd always used Runtastic to map my runs as liked the interval feature when I started out via a modified C25K. Knowing many of you use Strava I thought I'd check that out and had both running (on same phone) during my run. Was quite surprised how different the results came out, even accounting for the fact Strava was recording for 11seconds longer than Runtastic!

Runtastic: 6.49km; 62m climbing; 511 kcal
    Strava: 6.7km; 71m climbing; 624 kcal

Interestingly my weight is listed as lighter in my Strava profile (75kg) than my Runtastic profile (76.7kg) so surprised the calorie figures are so much more. I know they're all estimates anyway, but whilst I'm still trying to get down to goal weight I'll probably stick with Runtastic. Maybe I'll join you all on Strava in a few months time!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9-July: Southend HM