June 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ugh. I'm struggling. DH ran the 5k, he's disappointed with his time of 29:33 which got him 1st place (small race). So he wants to go run some more. Means I can go walk some more. *Sigh*. I don't think I'll bike since it tends to be very busy and it'd be frustrating to bike behind walkers. And the road is to hilly for my current abilities.

I'm tempted to just run. Running actually hurts less than walking. I may just run today and say fooey on "no running", of course I can still swap in some biking and walking days and run maybe 2-3 days a week. How is running not firing my glutes? I'm calling hogwash.

ETA Hope you feel better soon @BruinsGal_91
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    His sub 4 is definitely in play.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Went out for the paced run this morning, and by the time I get back, @MNLittleFinn is more than halfway through Grandma's Marathon. Looks good so far, but I remember the old joke:

1st Runner: I'm going to run a half marathon.
    2nd Runner: Cool! Which half are you going to run?
    1st Runner: The first half. I hear the second is a lot harder.

Yeah, hopefully, he is not going to fast in the excitement. That is a very common mistake. The best plan is to run the exact same pace for all 26.2 miles, but very few people can do that. What I hear most often advised is to run negative splits. That is run the first 1/2-3/4ths SLOWER than your target, and run the last say 6 miles or so faster. Most people (myself included) do the opposite. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm struggling. DH ran the 5k, he's disappointed with his time of 29:33 which got him 1st place (small race). So he wants to go run some more. Means I can go walk some more. *Sigh*. I don't think I'll bike since it tends to be very busy and it'd be frustrating to bike behind walkers. And the road is to hilly for my current abilities.

I'm tempted to just run. Running actually hurts less than walking. I may just run today and say fooey on "no running", of course I can still swap in some biking and walking days and run maybe 2-3 days a week. How is running not firing my glutes? I'm calling hogwash.

My suggestion is you find a good physical therapist and talk to them first. Until then follow doctors orders. If you do something wrong NOW it could be YEARS before you recover.
  • PastorVincent
    Also, I HATE REST DAYS. My legs are itching to move.
  • PastorVincent
    @MNLittleFinn Crossed 20 miles!

RACE TIME TIME OF DAY
    START 00:00 7:51:59
    10K 55:48 8:47:46
    HALF MARATHON 1:59:30 9:51:28
    20 MILE 3:15:13 11:07:12
    PREDICTED 25 MILE 4:04:02 11:56:00
    PREDICTED FINISH 4:15:44 12:07:43
    PACE 09:46

Lost some ground in pace. Still, could hit sub-four, but will be pretty hard at this point.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Looks like @MNLittleFinn slowed down almost to an 11 minute pace between the halfway point and the 20 mile mark. Hope he can hang on and finish. The projected times look like they're based on the 9:46 average through 20, so I expect he will be slower than the current projected finish of 4:15:44.
  • PastorVincent
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Looks like @MNLittleFinn slowed down almost to an 11 minute pace between the halfway point and the 20 mile mark. Hope he can hang on and finish. The projected times look like they're based on the 9:46 average through 20, so I expect he will be slower than the current projected finish of 4:15:44.

Yeah, I agree, but I do not know the terrain of the course. If there were some bad hills in there, and they are all behind him, he might be able to make up the time. I will miss his finish as I have some life stuff to handle now, but he can be proud of his accomplishment no matter what. A marathon is NOT an easy race.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I wonder if the heat and humidity is kicking in up there like it is here? Hope he finds that strength and can survive to the finish!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    I wonder if the heat and humidity is kicking in up there like it is here? Hope he finds that strength and can survive to the finish!

IMO, weather is a bigger factor than terrain. The course is along the shore of Lake Superior, so it *could* be pretty flat; I don't know what that shoreline is like and how hilly it is near the lake.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited June 2017
    YES!!! :sunglasses: He's still moving!!!

Erik Dinsmore (track new runner)
    RACE TIME TIME OF DAY
    START 00:00 7:51:59
    10K 55:48 8:47:46
    HALF MARATHON 1:59:30 9:51:28
    20 MILE 3:15:13 11:07:12
    25 MILE 4:12:04 12:04:02
    PREDICTED FINISH 4:24:10 12:16:08
    PACE 10:05
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    He may not be happy with his time but he should be happy he finished. It is his first so it's a learning moment. There will be things he did right and things he did wrong and the only way to know is to run the race.
  • WhatMeRunning
    The most important thing in your first full is to finish. He can go that last mile. I suspect he is hurting, but is clearly able to continue.

I'm so proud of him!!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    June 17 – 3.0 miles Easy Run

Total: 64.25 miles/100 miles

Tomorrow will most like be an unscheduled rest day. It's Father's Day. The restaurant will be ridiculously busy, and I will most likely have to work a double. It's a bit much to add in a run as well.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there!

Upcoming Race:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K