womens clothing size. Is this true?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see anyone mention American Eagle for outrageous vanity sizing. Size 0. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

After losing a crap ton of weight in my belly it is hard enough for me to judge what size to try on. I'm ok with taking two, which is kind of standard anyway (because you never know). Three didn't work...a fourth size down? I'm smaller, but I'm no zero. Where on earth do legitimately tiny women purchase pants?

You have NO idea how hard it is. Mostly you just have to invest in a lot of belts.

I wear vintage, so being able to fit in smaller sizes is great. Other than that, I buy brands that make a size that fits me, whether they call it a 0 or a 6, I alter clothing to fit me, and I often wear separates so I can get a bottom that is a larger size than the top.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see anyone mention American Eagle for outrageous vanity sizing. Size 0. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

After losing a crap ton of weight in my belly it is hard enough for me to judge what size to try on. I'm ok with taking two, which is kind of standard anyway (because you never know). Three didn't work...a fourth size down? I'm smaller, but I'm no zero. Where on earth do legitimately tiny women purchase pants?

You have NO idea how hard it is. Mostly you just have to invest in a lot of belts.

I agree. There are a lot of stores in which the smallest size is too big. I try to take note of which stores sell items in a size that will fit me. When they go down to 0 and 00, then often that size will fit me. I was very happy to find a store that sells size small t-shirts that are not too big for me. In a lot of stores, even the xs is too big on me.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It's true. And the main reason I can't shop for pants online :sad: :sad: :sad:

THIS

And it's a pain to go store to store trying on pants.

Agreed. I wish we could buy by waist/inseam like men....
    It's not all roses there either.
    http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/pants-size-chart-090710
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Well 7 & 4 are essentially the same - Juniors sizes are odd, women's are even. Generally the equivalent women's size (though curvier) is 3 smaller than the Juniors. So the 9 is one size bigger than the other two.

Though the point is that there is a lot of inconsistency, which is absolutely true!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I've noticed American brands in general are the worst for vanity sizing. AE, urban outfitters, forever 21, etc, even their size 0 or xsmall is TOO BIG for me, WTF?? Yet in Canadian and European brands I'm a size 4... hmmm.... at some point vanity sizing needs to end, they;ll lose their smaller clients!

I end up wearing a lot of "junior" clothes... this is a problem for formal work clothes, Le Chateau is the ONLY place I've been able to find work clothing that fits... because they have sixe XXXS. Crazy. And I don't consider myself that tiny either, I know lots of girls smaller than me, I have no idea where they shop???
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I mostly get my clothes from Kohls because, yay, lots of clearance! But on occasion have shopped at Target and noticed I basically need two sizes up. I usually don't but anything because I get disheartened with going in with 5 dresses and none are close to fitting. It's not that I refuse to acknowledge that I'm not the size they say, it's that I don't want to sit there for an hour trying on the same clothes again and again and keep hating the results.

On that note, nice to know Gap goes the opposite way, but I never have and never will wear them. When I was about 16 I was at a Gap (accompanying a friend, I didn't plan on buying anything and had no money) an employee came up to me and not too uncertain terms recommended I leave the store as "We do not carry clothes in your size." When I was 16...and about a size 10-12 in most stores. I have never been inside a Gap since.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    so true and so annoying. i hate it. sometimes grabbing 2 or 3 sizes at a store makes you look crazy
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The best advice on TV is from "What Not to Wear".
    It's not about size, its about FIT.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    i'm 4/5 or 26/27
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't get people not being able to shop online, most stores online have a sizing guide that tells you what measurments fit into what sizing and they're generally pretty accurate. I guess if you don't know your waist and hip measurments, then it would make it hard but the soft tape measures are not that expensive and it's worth it when there are better sales online and online exclusive sales. I love shopping online.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    This does drive me crazy. I wish all stores could be on the same page with their sizes. I do know that I cannot wear juniors (the odd number sizes) at all because I am too curvy. But my sizes range, too, in different brands...super frustrating sometimes.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's not just that sizes vary from store to store. It's even that brands very from year to year/season to season with different models. A size 16 from one woman one year may be considered a size 14 another year because another woman is used as the size 16.
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have always had to remember I'm different sizes in different shops, same for shoes and bra makes
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My dad was in the apparel business. He owned a company that made Mother of the Bride dresses and large sizes. So I can confirm sizing is completely random. My dad's size 8 was a normal size 12.

And don't get me going on the sizing for bridesmaid dresses, those things are 2 sizes too small.

Way too many women get hung up on a number and it really means nothing. I shop at Chico's and I wear a size 1 in that store (sizes run 00 to 3, great marketing strategy)
  • JustJessLynn
    Options
    Definitely true. Even within a store, certain brands will be much larger. I know my sister (when I was losing over 100 lbs) sent me some size 16s she couldn't wear and I tried them on (I was wearing 14-16) and they totally swallowed me up. They fit like maybe a size 22 (seriously).

Also, you will see people on weight loss youtube videos saying they wear a size 10 or 12 and they have to be weighing 240 lbs, ya right. They won't tell you their weight but they tell you a size. Well, size can be totally misleading.

I disagree, because weight isn't a good indicator for me. I have a muscular build so i look like a weigh a whole hell of a lot less than I actually do