WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – We have a ‘smoke-free’; but, not a ‘tobacco-free’ home. At least I don’t have to inhale the smoke; but, the dropping of tobacco drives me nuts. He’s only put a plug on my kitchen counter once; and, I threw it in his face and told him I did not want to see a tobacco ‘turd’ anywhere in the house … and, I haven’t. Of course, that means he ‘spits’. I have a sign outside that says, “No spitting” by order of the Dept. of Health. Fine $5 - $100. He’s come close enough to spitting and having it hit my foot before because it bounced off the asphalt. That means I can ‘go buy a plant of my choice’. He has gotten a whole lot better about not doing that. But, I still buy plants (and orchids and violets). They seem to do great out on the porch. He’s gotten a quote to do the other carpenter work that he really does not want to do. Hang the door. He’s going to fill in the cracks on the outside and put insulation in the walls and underneath the porch (because it is not protected by a foundation. I’ve finally gotten to the point that I see an ‘end’ to the project. I called the Windows World guy yesterday to find out what he decided on the wood strips with the raw side visible from both the inside and outside of the panes. He told me as soon as he got finished with the customer he was working for, he’d call me back, which he did NOT do. He might decide to do ‘nothing’ after getting my email to him. I pointed out all the things he had ‘promised’ to do from the beginning and that I felt like he was blowing me off now. IF that sumbitch doesn’t call on Monday and tell me (and MEAN IT) that he’ll be here next week, I am going to report him to the BBB, not only in Tifton; but, Albany and if we have one in Dawson, here as well. Not that they will do anything about it; but, maybe they can make him do something (or take him off their list as a good, reliable company to deal with. I don’t want to do that; I want him to come ‘fix’ it. The carpenter would ‘probably’ do it; he agreed with us that they should have brought the wood up a few days prior to installation, so it could be stained or painted. That is what the owner told me they’d do; but, then they brought it up the day they installed it and Louis could not stay home all day ‘hoping’ they’d come. The owner also told me that he, personally, would supervise the installation. Not done either. Both Louis and the carpenter that is going to do the work said there were a lot of trim pieces they could have used that would have been flat so it could be nailed into the stiles between them. So, if the sumbitch doesn’t make it … Louis will buy the materials and we’ll do it ourselves and send him a bill, with a copy and copy of letter to him with a cc: to the BBB. I don’t want to have to do this. Really. The carpenter really doesn’t want to do it, mostly afraid of breaking a pane.

One thing for sure is, if your son is NOT a smoker, he will know it as soon as he walks in the door.
    I had a seizure back in May and saw my Neurologist and wanted to see me in 6 months; the ‘earliest’ appointment I could get was 8 months unless they have a cancellation (but, they’d have to notify me 30 or 40 minutes prior so I could get there. I called the hospital and asked when they were going to get a ‘full-time’ Neurologist in town. They don’t know; this guy is coming from Savannah; which is a much cleaner, prettier, and more to do in town. I would not move here from Savannah.

Yearbooks at the school my granddaughters go to have to be picked up the next September. We always got the afternoon off the day they came in. We’d ‘know’ it because they came in a tractor-trailer and we had all afternoon to pass them around to get the signed and little stories written about what we had done during our HS days. It is really bad for the Seniors who don’t get that time … most are ‘off’ at college and their parents end up picking them up on the day that the school gets them. I don’t remember having graduation pictures in them; but, somewhere in it, someone in a cap and gown would be walking down the hallway (usually the President of the class).

Will ‘twirled’ his hair to go to sleep or rock on all 4’s to go to sleep; he ended up having a febrile seizure one evening and then had then (when he ran a temperature) until he was about 7. He might end up having them as an adult – I did.

My middle sister sucked her thumbs, right one, and vanilla; left one, chocolate. She admits to still doing it … especially when stressed. Mother said she came ‘out’ sucking her thumb.

I get in bed shortly after Louis has ‘fallen asleep’ and I say, “I love you!” He either repeats it, or grunts, I will then put my hand on his back. One night he was apparently having a nightmare and I reached over to put my hand on his back and as soon as I did he turned over and socked me. I screamed and it woke him us. He was really upset about it; but, I told him that he was moving his legs and groaning and moaning. He said that something was chasing him.

That is the ‘only’ time he has ever laid a hand on me, except to hug or kiss me.

I think I have a much harder time ‘getting rid of my mental trash’ than anything else, even losing weight. I’m not going to say that I hold a ‘grudge’; but, it hurts when someone is mean or greedy when they don’t have to be. Mean when they take something they have no more right to than anyone else and ‘if’ they had talked it over, might have ended up with it and no ‘hard feelings’. But, it happens and letting go is difficult.

In the car is our ‘quiet time’ together … we do a ‘lot of talking sitting in our chairs’ in our den. We’ll talk a little in the car; but, I like to ‘look around at the scenery’.

Lately, it seems like, occasionally, it will start (or go back) just to the ‘top’ of the page. I’ve been keeping a tab on which page I post on, so I can go back and read the posts that I ‘might’ have missed.

Lenora (no, I did not proof-read this; wrote a lot that I am posting in several posts) Hope I did not say something here that I would have 'caught' if I had proof-read it.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Felicia – Your boys are the same ages are 3 of my granddaughters, I have another one (step-; but, I call her our own). I did not want to be called “Grandma” or any variation of “Grand-anything”; so I’m called “Nana” by all 4 of them. But, when I write to the one in Louisiana, I sign things as NanaMom – DDnL#1 called Louis, “Papa Louie”. This summer will be the first time we’ve gone out there and I will see if they call me just “Nana” or “NanaMom”.

Mallory had double the sets of grandparents; because now both of her parents are remarried. She calls her ‘step-mother’s’ mother “Nana”. But, she had decided it was ‘ok’ to call us both “Nana” as we would probably never had any reason to be around one another (other than graduation).

My hair is a little grayer than the light brown. My DMnL had the prettiest salt and pepper hair most of her life. I looks better than the ‘ash’ brown which I think washed me out. In HS and shortly after I married I kept it colored auburn.

Michele – We once had a dentist whose specialty was ‘root canals’; but, I guess he found out that he wasn’t making enough to warrant stay in Albany. The dentist I go to does them. I take Dilantin for seizures and it really play havoc with my gums. So about every 8-12 months I might end up having a section of my gums cut back. If I did not have to take it, there’d be no issue with them. They’ve tried to take me off; but, if I get down to 135mg; I will have a seizure, so the upped it back up to 200mg a day and also added Lamictal which is now 300mg 2x a day. I think it is the ‘dry mouth’ that I hate the most. I’ve got a big bag of mints or mouth lounges to suck on.
    I’m still ‘pouting’ because the kids won’t be opening the pool this year. Oh well! I don’t even think they’d be able to do it if Louis helped with their utility bill. I think the pump is about to go out on it as well. We’ve had too many other expenses that have to be taken care of. But, at least it looks like my porch might be ‘finished’ soon.

YEAH!!!!!

Putting any kind of ‘fake’ sugar will take the pain (burn) out of your mouth (for example, hot pizza that seems to stick to the roof of your mouth); putting plain old white sugar on the end of your tongue and let it melt in your mouth will make hiccups stop. That makes sense since ‘sugar water’ is what they feed babies that have little fits of hiccups.

Sue – It rained like the dickens here last night; like waves of it, it would pour, then lighten up a little, and then pour again.

Carol – I think I learned a bit (or a lot) of ‘trivia’ because my parents were always reading and talking about the books they read, news or PBS was always on TV, and, I really liked reading the encyclopedias my parents had a full set of. When the updates came in, that was my job; to find where the stickers went that cross-referenced addition information as found through studies. Of course, the Internet has made them obsolete. We had one of those squatty little Refrigerators that the ‘freezer’ would ice over … we’d scrap it and eat it. Sometimes we’d scrap it off and pour milk and vanilla in it. At least I did, Margaret was ‘milk’ intolerant so I doubt she did, don’t remember if Suzanne did. The entire kitchen was painted a medium aqua blue; including the Refrigerator.

Actually, I think the fridge was already blue and they painted the room the same color. We got a 2nd one; then they remodeled the house and the old one went away. I still remember the exact floorplan of the house as it was originally when we moved in. Went from a Colonial-style house with a big wrap-around porch about 15’ deep to a Williamsburg-style home when I was a Junior in HS. I can remember having to walk across a ‘gang plank’ while they were doing the front of the house. One Christmas someone put a miniature German Shepard-mixed puppy on it and left it. It whined and we ‘thought’ it was a ‘baby’ out there. Snatched the door open and “Judge” came running in the house like he belonged. He was, probably, about 5 months old. He looked so regal that I named him “Judge”. He loved my Daddy and followed him everywhere, even uptown to his office. One Saturday, he came home and did not go back until Monday. When he opened the door the dog about knocked him down to get out. He had not messed up the office; but, had just about chewed a 2” solid door through trying to get out. I was surprised that it did not make Daddy made; he was just amazed that the dog had held it in for 2 days. He did stay inside at the house and was ‘house-trained’. Someone either stole him or he got hit and somebody took his body away – we never knew; but, that was back when Hwy, #41 was the main drag through town. Interstate 75 ended right about the Jackson Hwy exit. One day Lynn Chapman and I decided that we’d go pick up another friend and instead of driving out the Jackson Hwy.; we decided we’d take the ‘dirt’ Interstate. Right behind the Do Not Enter/Closed sign was a small mound of gravel. The workers were packing up and I drove the “Blue Bomb” up and over it, but; we were stuck on the gravel with all 4 wheels spinning. I knew Daddy would kill me; so the highway workers, after they stopped laughing, came over and sat on the truck so I could back down it.

Do you make jewelry? I think I would have a ball looking through it. I got all of Mother’s jewelry, other than her wedding band, that Suzanne got.

We’ve down-sized the size of our home; but, I have not, yet, been able to let go of the furniture and ‘stuff’ that we have accumulated in 45 years of marriage. But, we did not get but 2 pieces of furniture from his Mother’s estate (because DH’s ‘daughter’ took everything she could). But, I’ve already gone there, so I won’t do it again. Over it, now.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Ginger – Your weight has been like me – up and down. I keep wondering if I will ever knock myself off that 5lb plateau. Today I think I will walk outside because it is sunny; but, it is also ‘hot’.

Joyce – I don’t think I will ever get tired of seeing pictures of that bridge. There is a bridge that crossed over the River that runs through Jacksonville, down at Orange Park at the widest place. It is a bridge on both sides with 2, maybe 3 lanes going over it. It is flat under it hits the deepest part of the river and goes up and down steeply; it is the only bridge in Jacksonville that is not a drawbridge. Well, maybe there is one other at the northern side of town; but, we rarely went that far North to have to go over it, except when we were growing up and going to the beach. One is, or was, a toll bridge (to help pay for it).

Dana - My coffee is my morning routine; and, my evening one as well. It doesn’t bother me to drink it; other than my GYN says I need to cut back (or go decaf – which won’t ever happen).

Mary – If you aren’t going out before getting a shower, calamine lotion (pink) is also good to put on poison ivy. Use a cotton ball and dab it on; it dries it out. It’s good for relieving the itch of poison ivy, sunburn, and shingles. I can remember times when my Mother had it all over my body. I’d go outside and play with Daddy’s hunting dogs all the time, following or leading them all around in the bushes, shrubbery, and laying in the grass. I’d also think that an Epson Salt bath would help with it, as well. Cool water with it melted in it and it is ‘cheap’.

I’m wanting some Mexican; but, I have not saved enough calories … or I will go WAY over my CI and not many CO.

Lisa – In Georgia (or at least in South Georgia) the spaying, shots, etc., are included in the price of ‘adopting’ a pet at the Humane Society. They used a different vet than I did; so when Cracker was old enough to get her 2nd set of shots, she went to our vet; more for a ‘get to know you visit’ than anything. I think she might have gotten her rabies shot then, too. I don’t think she was quite old enough to get it when I adopted her at 4 months of age.

When feral cats have been ‘fixed’ they clip one ear. I had a friend whose neighbor never got his cats ‘fixed’, so a lot of inbreeding going on. She decided on one, had her fixed and brought her inside, then she got killed (either hit by a car or killed by a dog). She loved that cat so. Then, she finally took another one and had it fixed and kept it inside. She still has her. We used to take one of those pointer lights and drive her ‘crazy’. Then she would get on the back of the couch and swish her tail in my face. Becky said she never did that to anybody else, but me. I’d like to get one to see how Cracker would react to it.

Cheri – Have you gotten into a routine of eating the same things each day? Sometimes giving your body a ‘shock’ by changing up your menus will make your body think ‘what is going on here’? That is one thing my Nationalist told me after looking over MFP print-outs. Throw a little more ‘protein’ in there … especially if you are exercising.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    KJ – I agree – Joaquin is a doll! I don’t think there is going to be any babies in our family. But, that is ok; we’ve gained another granddaughter upon our DYS’s marriage and he is an absolute sweetie pie.

Katla – My gallbladder was ‘full of stones’; I had a friend who went through several bouts; but, the MDs did not think it was her gallbladder, they did not see any stones; but, when they finally did do surgery they told her that all she had was slug. That couldn’t go anywhere it should have gone as much as having stones would. There are several organs that I wonder why we have them in the first place. I’ve never had to take any sort of medication due to having mine removed; unlike having to take medication because my thyroid gland was ablated. Appendix came out when I was 14; along with a ‘few’ cysts on my ovaries.

Beth – When I was still riding a bike, I hated the wind when it was blowing strongly. When my boss and I would take a 50 mile ride to Leesburg and back … we’d jump in the creek and cool off. We had to ride down a deep hill to get to it, so most of the time, we’d just push our bikes up and down it. The creek was shallow; it is hard to believe that it ran out of its banks 2 decades ago and was up to the bottom of the road. Now it is back to being a small, shallow little bridge; but, they had widen the highway and it isn’t safe to ride on now, even ‘if’ I still rode my bike.

Becca (again) – How long is that bridge (from land to land)? The one in Jacksonville/Orange Park is maybe a little over 3 miles. This looks even longer than the one over the Pontchartrain between Slidell and New Orleans (actually Mandeville and Metairie, LA. But, it is short compared to the Huey P. Long Bridge/Causeway which is almost 24 miles long. Can you imagine what it would have been like to ride over it before they made it 2 lanes over and 2 lanes back (with a 2nd bridge)? If they have not torn it down or if Hurricane Katrina did not take it out, there used to be a RR trestle that went over it, too; very low and close to the water – and I think it was made out of RR ties.

There was some pretty long bridges going between the Keys in South Florida; but, that was when it was just a 2-land road, so that shows you how long it has been since we were down there. I think the bridge/bridges they have built since then is to one side or the other from the old one. I’d love to go back. Maybe later this year or something. Or next.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Michele (again) – I know for a while in our Catholic Church we attended it seemed like the same group of people did the lecturing; then, it changed … new priests and they changed things because the Church doubled in size. We had not gone in a while; and, I was amazed at ‘how different’ it was. Louis would ‘prefer’ to go on the Saturday evening mass (then maybe go out to eat). Either before or after. I like the mid-day (late service) because of the instruments; the 8:30am mass is just too early to get there from where we live. Both Louis and I are religious; but, we don’t think we have to be ‘in a church building’ to ‘experience our conversations with God’ … it is so peaceful out here and we both do a lot of praying each and every day. Quite often our conversations with God is just to be quiet and be in ‘awe’.

Chris in MA – what is ‘tzachi’?

Lanette – That is a pretty piece of furniture. Our house is what I would call decorated in ‘late basement and early attic’. I think we have bought 6 ‘things’ (individual or sets) of things from a ‘store’; the rest we inherited. Our couch and 2 club chairs are ‘20’s or ‘30’s style. We recovered them when I got them when Mimi died. I have a “Hoosier kitchen cabinet” that Louis re-did and striped it, had always been painted ‘white’. I have my DMnL’s china cabinet and ladies’ writing desk, my parents’ bedroom suite, minus the bed, Daddy’s chest (before he and Mother married), 2 occasional tables (one we need to work on), my Pop’s blanket chest and tool box that he made when he worked for the Brumby Rocker Chair Company in Marietta (and one of the Brumby Rockers), a desk and stool – both adjustable in height he made for my Mother when she was young, the wooden locker that he built for my Mother to take with her to college, a wingback chair that was Daddy’s. We purchased 2 beds, TV corner cabinet (would not make THAT mistake again), side table by my bed for my C-pap machine. When we finally break down and buy a ‘low-rise’ box spring it will be at the ‘right’ height. Dining room table (Farmer’s style), double foot stool, the desk that Louis bought out of his first check he receive from his Jacksonville’s largest paper route. My porch furniture, outdoor table and chairs … then we have the ‘hammock/piece of art’, 7 deer mounts on the wall, a European mount of deer rack, several ducks, a squirrel, and a ‘diamond-back’ rattlesnake (my contribution), art books and 70+ different ‘flamingo collection’. We are crowded; but, I don’t think there is anything I could purge. I sometimes look around and think ‘now what can I get rid of … nothing’. When both of us have gone on to the other side – our boys can figure out what they want or what they want to get rid of. Maybe Taylor and Chase will be married by that time. Heck, maybe all 4 of the girls will be married by that time. I am not planning on dying young; but, I do plan on having all my ‘faculties and memories’.

Margaret – When I think of myself ‘as a toddler’ … I have some memories of actually being a toddler; and, sometimes when I told these stories, my Mother would ‘swear’ I was wrong; like ‘sleeping in a closet’. I remember my first room was no wider than a crib is long; and that there was a ‘bac door’ to it and a bookshelf and window over the crib. I remember standing up and looking out. My Mother also said that one night I crawled out of the crib and made my way up to the ‘highway’; and, when I say ‘highway’ I mean a ‘busy’ one and played in a mud puddle in the driveway. At some point the doorbell rang and there a black lady stood holding a child covered in mud. She asked Mother if the baby was hers. She was ‘shocked and appalled and told the woman ‘I don’t think so; but, I will go look’. Mother was just shocked to find my bed empty and the door standing wide open. We lived a good way off the highway, further back than most of the homes on the block; further back off the road than the “Legion Hall”; the front of our house was about even with the back of the Legion Hall. Carol would know what I am talking about. Well, Mother probably about had a stroke; she repeated the story many times and I guess God HAD to have had his hand on me, otherwise I could have been killed! I remember one Thanksgiving or Christmas Day we got put outside ‘in shorts’ and by late afternoon we had been changed into heavy coats and played in 3” of snow on the ground. Even for middle GA, that was rare. We used to really ‘tick’ Mother off by telling others that we had to wear those ‘billed caps that the ear flaps would snap up over the top, and Grosgrain (brown high top) shoes. They were UGLY! I know when my oldest sister’s girls were born in the early/mid-60’s her girls wore ‘white high top shoes’ when they started walking. Imagine those – in brown! We’d cry when Mother would put them on. I’m sure I would take mine off as many times as possible. Of course, my older sister HAD to wear hats on Easter Sunday, too. We kid my middle sister about the ‘ugliest’ hat she ever had to wear. Mother would say, that they were things we chose to wear’. I don’t hardly ‘think so’. Mother made all our clothes and Easter was the only time we got ‘store bought’ clothes. In the ‘60’s when I was in HS; “Lady Bug dresses” were popular. And ‘expensive’. You were paying for the name and the little ladybug pin on the collar. I wanted one so bad; so my Mother and I went to the store where they were sold; she looked at how it was made; and, we went to the fabric store and she found a pattern and material that looked like what it was made of. She would adjust the front so she could put in the tucks; she made ‘covered’ belts out of the same ‘flowered’ material; and, I was set to go, with a different color dress … all I needed was the pin. During P.E. one day, I ‘lifted’ one from a girl in our class who had the ‘real deal’. That pin was closely guarded; but, usually I just left it in my drawer. After that it just wasn’t important to me to wear and I finally gave it back to her saying that I had picked it up off the floor in the dressing room. When she had discovered the pin was gone, she cried for a good portion of the afternoon. I figured she would not miss one because, like I said, she had several dresses, each having a pin.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Dana – Bridge at Natchez, MS is not much different than the one at Vicksburg; other than they are actually still in the process of building a twin to it and repairing the old one; so it will have traffic to Louisiana on one side and the one back over to Natchez, MA on the other. Remember going over it when it was just a 2-lane one when Will lived in Texas. The MS River looks so calm; but they say the currents are killer. Barges going up and down the river have Captains that can ‘read’ the flow of it so they don’t go a ground. Looks like it would be fun to raft down; but, probably not safe or allowed. Mississippi is a beautiful state, with all the live oak trees with moss hanging down and the stately Colonial houses.

Kelly (KJ) – Oh how I remember “Ya-Ya” … been there, done that … don’t want to go back and don’t want the T-shirt. I guess I am a ‘yearning Nana’; but, there again, it will depend on technology and age (that isn’t on their side). But, if we don’t have any more than the 4 we see and the 1 we haven’t seen in 10 years … that’s it for us, as far as I know.

Katla – Yeah, Louisiana is a 4 state trip; actually we live almost on the Alabama side (about 40 miles, or 60); and, they live in Vidalia (right across the river from Natchez, MS) but it is a ‘hard’ 8.5 hour drive with a stop for breakfast and lunch and a few pit stops along the way. We usually go through Vicksburg to Monroe, LA and down to Sicily Island which is closer to the ‘lake’ place (or Will’s house before they married, his house at work).

Pip – Cute pixs of the ‘babies’. It is always had when you lose a much-loved pet; you say you can never replace them and you can’t … you are just very lucky when the ‘new’ ones come along and their personality rivals what used to be.

Vicki – This post might have to be broken in 2 posts by the time I get finished with this page; I have really just been ‘lurking’ and reading but not posting. I am glad that you have enjoyed my posts.

Heather – Now that my DDnL#1 is taking a medication to even out her moods, she is much more tolerable to be around. We literally had gotten to the point that we did NOT see them and the live right next door. Trey works for his Dad, so he did see him. For a while, about the only time I saw him was ‘if’ he wanted something (like to drive my car to pick up the girls or something) … or for him to ‘vent’ about things that were going on at his home. It got really touchy there for a while. It’s bad when the ‘woman’ of the house (especially a DnL) is the “Gate Keeper” of you seeing your grandchildren. Sometime ‘if they aren’t happy; nobody’s happy’. I think a lot has been lifted off their shoulders since they took some extreme moves to ‘lighten’ their financial load. Both of them have been more pleasant to be around and now our DYS is speaking to his older brother without always hearing negativity. I never have even attempted to ‘get into their business’; but, one thing I did was pull out ‘my support’ and now my ‘finances’ are nearly as tight as before. Their business, their situation, so Mama is not always going to be able to do this or that. Figure out how to do it on your own. Apparently, so far, they have.

We’re waiting on the pears to start getting ripe; when they start falling off the trees, I’ll have to beat the deer to them. They’ve beat us to the grapes, so if they can come up to what I call ‘our yard’, then, I will go into ‘their yard’. Just ran out of ‘pear conserve’. Cook diced pears with lemon and nuts (I don’t put raisins in mine because I don’t like them). Figs are not ripe yet (maybe in July); but, we are really enjoying the tomatoes!!!!! I don’t put nearly as much mayonnaise on my bread as I do on Louis; but, they still tend to ‘slide’ off.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Beth – I remember Mother ‘switching’ us; and, we had to ‘pick our own’. Took me awhile to learn NOT to pick the limber ones; but, to pick the thicker one. She’d get that thing in one hand and strip the leaves off with the other and switch me until … we’ll, not until I started crying, because that started the moment she told me to go pick a switch. She ‘never’ hit us with her hand. She did with my oldest sister; but, the day that Suzanne put a magazine in her pants, Mother hit her so hard that it hurt her more than it did Suzanne. Suzanne would NOT cry for anything. Very defiant, stubborn, driven. With my two, when they were toddling and still wearing diapers or thick training pants one swift ‘wop’ on the butt got their attention. Time outs, with an egg timer. “Don’t even turn around!” As they got older, I would take one of Louis’ belts and buckle it then ‘snap’ it together. They were more ‘fearful’ of the sound of it; and, I never used it. Were times when I really WANTED to; but, I know I would have been like my Daddy. I once left the gate on the fence unchained and his ‘favorite’ hunting dog got hit by a car and had to be put down. He grabbed that chain and slap me on my back, realized what he had done and threw it so far that it landed in the middle of the side road and he cried more than I did. He never spanked any of us. Mother was our disciplinarian; because she was the one home with us. She never told us, ‘wait until your Daddy gets home’! She would tell him things we had done, and how she had handled it. If we wanted ‘permission’ to do something we had to go ask HER. Not Daddy. If we did ask Daddy, his first question was, ‘what did your Mother say; then, go ask her’.

Beth – Yes, definitely schedule those long awaited appointment with MDs. I just found out that a good friend of mine, ‘possibly’ has cancer. She was supposed to have a Pet Scan and a 2nd appointment. She got really angry when she had gone to the ER and they admitted her to observe and then got released after 2 days of testing. She went and got her medical records because they had not sent them to her GP. Never seen by an oncologist; but, the diagnosis was ‘lung cancer’. She was really upset and when she went to see her own GP, he sort of ‘blew it off’ and said, ‘oh, they just put that as a diagnosis when they see something suspicious. “WTF?” So she did her own referral to a Cancer Institution to go talk to someone. She has lost from 147 down to 107 in a very short period of time … a lot of it a ‘lot of stress’ and this is just adding to it. She said she isn’t willing to go through treatment (if it meant surgery). She said she does not want them to cut her open and then sew her back up and tell her it too far along, sorry. I’m so upset!

Becca – When “Shorty” was still alive … she would have ‘loved’ the one with the Jewish Star. Shaped exactly like a rock that she’d carry around in her mouth. Loved that rock. She’d never fetch a stick; but, if you asked her ‘where her baby was’, she’d go get the rock and bring it to you and drop it at your feet. Whenever Will came home, the day he left he would take that rock and rub it in his hands and sling it like he was throwing from home to 2nd base. It might take her a week of looking; but, she’d finally find it and bring it to one of us. She had one other rock that was rectangular in shape; about twice a large; but, she’d get frustrated with it because one corner would usually get stuck in the ground or up against something and she could not maneuver it very well. She’d fuss at it all the time. I remember the ‘tomato lady’ had a bunch of rocks they had found in Alaska; and, I asked her if they were ‘for sale’; they weren’t; but it was the same size and shape and Shorty would have loved it. That’s interesting about the painted rocks. My oldest sister has a rock that is painted like a cat. She uses it as a door stop. Her SnL painted it for her.

Loving the ‘baby’ pixs. They are growing up so fast and it is difficult to believe how their little lives started off in the NICU.

Welcome to all the 'newbies', tell us something about yourselves so that we can get to know you.

Lenora
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Good morning! <3
    Cheri – you are doing so well!! I remember the days before Meno where I’d stay “on plan” and the scale wouldn’t move or even go up a little then boom, a big drop – would happen each month it seems. Still, it would just about derail me. And, the drop would often happen after a big calorie intake (probably fueled by hormones) …. Perhaps I was able to trick my body into thinking – no need to hold on to weight, no threat of famine so let it go?
    OK ladies, time to get moving! Have a great weekend!
    Lanette
    Cool and overcast SW WA State

Thanks! I think perhaps you are correct. Nothing is predictable about this weight loss journey with me. I reached post menopausal in 2004. You'd think at this point the hormones, whatever is left, would have settled. My new gynecologist suggests otherwise. At this point I am so NOT going to have to lose the 20 pounds I've already lost that it keeps me going. I have learned so much from all of the gals here and it really keeps me going.

Today I woke up with a very sore right shoulder blade area back ache. Realized that it was connected to my neck somehow. I've taken Aleve all day and have put heat on it. Finally settled down. Came out of nowhere! Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight and all will be better in the morning. Did not like missing the gym today but was able to get my steps in.

Cheri
    in rainy College Station, TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    WOW! Those were long ... sorry ... that happens if I stay 'off' too long; and, long - lately - has been if I don't check in during the morning and again at night!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,721 Member
    Options
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Great job Cheri, that is my biggest fear, racing a plateau and not being able to work through it.
    I have about 40 pounds to lose, but have lost 5 pounds during this detox.
    Good luck everyone!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 and peace and strength, you wonderful supportive women!! :)

NYKAREN
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Wowzers Lenora! ... you had a lot to write today! Have you considered keeping copies of what you write? You tell so many stories about your family and the past. I would dearly love to have a written record of all the stories my grandmother used to tell me ... sadly I don't.

Lanette ... I'm with you on the antique and older, well-made furniture. My home is furnished with mostly older pieces. The only things we buy new are mattresses and more contemporary upholstered pieces.

Karen in VA ... I'm so glad you've had a breakthrough in your thinking!

Beth
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies. Has been a glorious sun shiny day. Meteorologist is wrong again today.

I can't believe how much my kitten has grown. I think he is going to be bigger than what I bargained for. But I a,m in love. Him and Melody are getting along better every day until Melody tired to clean his butt then fur flies.

Ah, toddlerhood. I think sometimes I was meant to be a cat. I had pretty close encounters with death about 4 times. I. Always looked forward to being called Grandma. And I a
    Wanted it to be Grandma. My Mom was Grandma and I wanted to be like her. So when Christina had Trinity, I wanted her to her to do it in her own time and would accept whatever she decided to call me. So mi became Mamaw for the longest time. Christina kept on calling me Grandma and eventually Trinity did also. Ellie never called me anything else.

I think Olivia will be a scientist the way she is clinging to those atom shaped toys!

I sure hope our other alto is at church tomorrow. Our preacher's wife and his daughter are the other altos and they are out of town. It would be a bit difficult if I were the only one there!

MIchele, I think you have told me before but I have forgotten. What does a lector do?

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,721 Member
    Options