WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Michele- I use a 12 ounce cup of Epson salt in my average size bath tub. I also like a really hot bath. Which would open up pores and it did burn a little bit but I have virtually gotten rid of something that would have lasted way longer than 4 to 5 days. I did take two baths each day for the first 4 days.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Hi all!
    The agency sent a new cleaner today because the old one's daughter has ongoing medical problems. I much prefer this one. :D

I managed to get a ring back from another gardening company who are coming to estimate on Friday. The other two who came haven't sent estimates yet. :grumble: This lot look more professional with references on line.

Then we sprang a leak under the sink. I think it's an old solder in the water feed. The cheap plumber we like a lot can't come because he's on holiday for two weeks. Everyone else is so expensive, so we are going to put a bowl under the drip and wait for him to come back. Hope it doesn't get worse. :o We have scheduled him in for the 26th.

Then there was a knock at the door and it was an estate agent saying they had a client with a firm offer on their house who were very interested in buying ours. He left his card and we said we haven't entirely ruled it out if they want to talk to us. They would have to pay our previous agents the forfeit fee. And make a brilliant offer, no wriggling. I said I didn't want to move now, but if they make an outstanding firm offer they might be able to twist my arm ........ :p

Then we went out into the garden to repair the damage caused by the gales. Leaves and small branches everywhere and the wysteria has come off the garage wall. DH has cut it down. Luckily my new fuschia survived its buffeting! I tidied the patio.
    Then I came in and made Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie. :D

Two loads of laundry.

Some pants I ordered online have arrived. They are great apart from the length. I will have to shorten them by at least an inch. They are for the cruise and will look great with the top DH bought me in Winchester for our meeting anniversary. Very comfortable.

So a pretty, busy day.

Good luck Allie for tomorrow! We are all behind you. <3 Don't forget to tell the lawyer about the COERCIVE CONTROL you suffered for all that time. (((Hugs)))

Moment to draw breath now. Of course, I've done no memoir today. Never mind.
    AF tonight. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2017
    Good morning ladies!
    I'm so happy I found this group. I'm so over Facebook and all the politics! I just like to see my kids and grandkids pictures anymore.

Allie I've been where you are at but at a time I was fed up with DH's drinking and carousing!
    I had put on a big spread for my daughter's 16th birthday party and he disappeared when he was supposed to pick up ice, etc. Well he showed up hours later drunk. That was it! He was wanting to fight with everyone and even got into it with my son who was about the same size and strength.
    When he came back in the door I backed him up in the entry way and told him in a real quiet firm voice: "it's time to get get your stuff and leave!"
    He looked at me in shock! He didn't believe it! He got his stuff and left.

The next day I threw all his remaining stuff in the garage in a big heaping pile! I cleaned every closet, drawer and box!!

It turned out he moved in with some woman he met on his route. (He was a bread man) She lived in the high desert and we lived in La Quinta, some 60 mikes away. Not only he had her on the side, he was stringing along his ex-wife!

So Allie, I guess I'm telling you, don't wait around until he leaves! Tell him to get out!!

After what I have been thru with 2 womanizing husbands, I wouldn't tolerate that kind of behavior ever again.

My current husband loves me and we have talked about that. He has experienced the same and wouldn't ever do that to me nor would I do that either.

BTW: when I was divorced the court didn't care why or where-fors. The judge just split the property and awarded child support.

Have a good day,
    Dana in Arkansas
    I made this last night to print out to put on my refrigerator!
    eviyrbshv9ii.jpg
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Hi ladies. I have missed all of June so far, but I am back and trying. DH got permission to go out of state for his family reunion so we just got back from that Monday. It was nice. I don't think I have been here since the plea deal; it was accepted and the terms are 42-72 months, so we will see what the judge says. Sentencing is Sept. 21. So please pray for 42 and somewhere close!

Allie: I agree with what everyone else is saying. I too had a womanizing "spousal unit". Hang in there. It will be over and you will feel amazing.

Dana: I LOVE the bear pic! However, that feels like me whenever I open my mouth! LOL

OK I have got to get some work done. I'll try to be here more. meg in hot Omaha
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    yo peeps
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    945077n6gv373mvj.gif
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    edited June 2017
    Good morning ladies!

Catching up here.

First, yesterday's Master Gardener tour was very interesting. First stop was the Rhodie and Bonsai Garden tucked in on the Weyerhaeuser Corporate property near Tacoma. Many, many rhodies and other plants not native to the Pacific Northwest or the US for that matter - most of them were imports from China, Japan and Korea. They do well in this climate.

Interesting factoid - when the Rhodies came to the US, they first had to go into Canada to be propagated (US had very strict laws) and then they came down to the US after a period of time. Weyerhaeuser has a large propagation facility there and sells starts...many of the MG's bought armloads! Bonsai displays were something.... tour guide said they are like little babies and need to be fed and watered several times a day during this hot weather. Not for me.

Afternoon stop was neat - a small nursery/grounds called The Old Goat Farm (yes, Mt. Rainier looked close enough to touch) started by a couple fellows who worked at nurseries and for private arboretums in the Seattle area. MG's also bought a lot from them. I held back - got a teensy Moon Frost Hemlock. We do a lot of landscape plants in containers these days - easier to move about, protect from harsh winter weather, water, etc.

Pip, the bus went all over/around Puyallup and that area ...probably drove by your house B)

Yesterday was an eat-all/ eat-everything day, lol. And I only got 4500 steps! All that sitting on the bus when I'd normally be up and about all day long puttering in the yard. That's OK, back on the wagon today. Hope to get a strength work-out in, will do it in chunks.

Sitting on the bus.... much like being on an airplane, meaning no leg room for a person over 5'4" tall, lol. Thank fully had 2 seats to myself and could sit at an angle. But not complaining... company was great and the A/C worked fine.

That's the latest... Happy Hump Day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK <3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Happy Wednesday! going to be another hot and muggy day. Sounds like this weekend it is to get up to 98. To hot to fast.

Sara--Thanks for the chart, very interesting and enlighting.

Becca--Thanks for sharing the pictures of the dancing dinosaurs.

Allie--Sending hugs and prayers. You can do this.

Margaret--It is so hard when all you want is what is best for the child.

Mary--That does sound like something I would do, boy wouldn't that shock him!

Well I am up to date and enjoy all the pictures. Have tomorrow off and DH doesn't go to work until noon so hoping to get some errands done since we both work the weekend. Thanks ladies for all your support.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Good morning ladies!

Catching up here.

First, yesterday's Master Gardener tour was very interesting. First stop was the Rhodie and Bonsai Garden tucked in on the Weyerhaeuser Corporate property near Tacoma. Many, many rhodies and other plants not native to the Pacific Northwest or the US for that matter - most of them were imports from China, Japan and Korea. They do well in this climate.

Interesting factoid - when the Rhodies came to the US, they first had to go into Canada to be propagated (US had very strict laws) and then they came down to the US after a period of time. Weyerhaeuser has a large propagation facility there and sells starts...many of the MG's bought armloads! Bonsai displays were something.... tour guide said they are like little babies and need to be fed and watered several times a day during this hot weather. Not for me.

Afternoon stop was neat - a small nursery/grounds called The Old Goat Farm (yes, Mt. Rainier looked close enough to touch) started by a couple fellows who worked at nurseries and for private arboretums in the Seattle area. MG's also bought a lot from them. I held back - got a teensy Moon Frost Hemlock. We do a lot of landscape plants in containers these days - easier to move about, protect from harsh winter weather, water, etc.

Pip, the bus went all over/around Puyallup and that area ...probably drove by your house B)

Yesterday was an eat-all/ eat-everything day, lol. And I only got 4500 steps! All that sitting on the bus when I'd normally be up and about all day long puttering in the yard. That's OK, back on the wagon today. Hope to get a strength work-out in, will do it in chunks.

Sitting on the bus.... much like being on an airplane, meaning no leg room for a person over 5'4" tall, lol. Thank fully had 2 seats to myself and could sit at an angle. But not complaining... company was great and the A/C worked fine.

That's the latest... Happy Hump Day!

Lanette
    SW WA State

I live in tacoma, not Puyallup :0)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    edited June 2017
    Does anyone on here live in the Tolleson Arizona area? It's right around Phoenix I guess. My DH is hoping to get a transfer there. I am kind of curious about what you think about the weather during the summer. It is a lot drier than Minnesota. Also we will be looking for housing so if you know of any places please let me know!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Felicia - when I read in Hints from Heloise today "Oregon can safely say that 99 percent of all hazelnuts in the US are grown in the Willamette Valley", I immediately thought of you
    Michele in NC

I can't get to I-5, literally, no matter which way I try to go, without passing a hazelnut orchard. They are everywhere! When I was a kid, I hated them (we called them filberts), but I have grown to love them and while I prefer eating cashews, I love food with hazelnuts as a primary ingredient. (Nutella, I'm looking at you!)

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    BTW: when I was divorced the court didn't care why or where-fors. The judge just split the property and awarded child support.

^^^^This. I wanted to air all of my pain and suffering, and my attorney listened politely and said, "the court doesn't care. It doesn't change how anything is distributed." I didn't think that was fair, but I lived in a no-fault state, so the court didn't try to place blame anywhere.

The same happened to my current husband when he and his first wife divorced. She had been cheating on him with several guys, but when it came down to it, he had to pay her alimony, just until she remarried. No fault. Sheesh!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Becca – You have such ‘fun’ meals. I need for you to continue posting them so I can get something close. Unfortunately, you live clean across the country from me, so I can’t get you to come eat lunch with me. Those strawberries are awesome! Toasted pumpkin seeds?

It’s a shame that there wasn’t an elk in there when the bank took it. That would have been a surprised. Trey and one off Jenn’s cousins put new brakes on the car they will be turning back to the bank since they did not reaffirm it in the bankruptcy; but, she is still driving it. I guess they are taking advantage of the fact that the bank hasn’t told them to turn it in. That way Jenn can drive it and have A/C – something she won’t have in its replacement; but, it is a ‘free’ car for as long as they need it. I asked Trey if they had made a ‘budget’ out with all the bills gone and what I got was, “well, tuition takes all of Jenn’s checks.” Oh well, I am not going to be paying a share of it. I got out of that back in March; and, Will paid the $2500 balance on the FASFA loan I had to take out for him and have been paying on for almost 12 years. The first 2 years was ‘interest only’ … I did not realize that was how they did it; but, that took another $150 off my ‘budget’. Making one is a real P.I.T.A. I had to really get it right down to the penny; and, as soon as I did we had to change our insurances; which will come out of my checking account so Louis will have to put $$ in it so it will be covered.

Sue – I played golf in HS; but, couldn’t make the team because all the clubs they had were right-handed clubs and I am left-eyed dominant and that meant I ended up taking my eye off the ball as soon as I hit it. My brother-in-law (at the time) gave me a set of his; but, that is an expensive hobby. When I was working for my boss while he was still an attorney (before being appointed as a Federal Magistrate) both Louis and I got a full set of scuba gear when he represented a dive shop in a wrongful death claim. We went to the Bahamas a couple of times. Really enjoyed it, too. That, also, is a very expensive hobby. My other hobby, drawing and painting, is an expensive hobby; but, at this point my ‘studio’ has been taken over by Louis using it to dry shutters and cabinet doors inside it. If he’d help me clean it out; I think there’d be a way we could both use it. IF I knew he was going to do this; I would have taken the smaller shed; but, the light isn’t as good in it because it doesn’t have the French doors, now the A/C unit. About all he does in his shed is store paint and other work-related things.

Dana – I think might have been Chip who tore it out; I don’t think Clint (their carpenter would have not known what it was; and, he would have done what he could to save it). Chip and Joanna do wonderful jobs fixing the houses up; but, there are some things that I would ‘think’ they must add in when they are pricing the house; I can’t imagine that they removed everything they put in the house when they are staging it. Here, in Georgia, it is hard to come by ‘Pecky Cypress’; but, we have enough to do our den and dining room and bar. With the exception of 1 piece long enough to fit at the bottom; but, carpenter put up a piece of Cypress and after being stained you can’t tell it is different other than it doesn’t have the knots and holes in it. But, there are long strands that don’t have the knots and wormy places that gives it, its name. We sided-down when we moved out here. We made a few mistakes on the design; but, thankfully we were able to add things and not mess up the living space. I do wish that I had another place to put the treadmill; but, then we probably would not use it. The zucchini and tomatoes looks great. Did you sauté the zucchini?

Paula Y. – My husband’s first wife cheated on him; that is one thing he told me when we were engaged that he would never put up with ‘if’ he found out about it again with a subsequent wife (me). I don’t think I could ever hurt him that much. I’m not the same woman he married; but, he has chosen to stay with me because our vows said we would honor and love one another through good times and bad, through sickness and health, and that I would ‘obey’ him. I do what he tells me to; but, he isn’t at all domineering. He has his hobbies, hunting and fishing, which I am not wide about doing with him; so, I hang with my friends, go shopping, or to art museums even traveling to Birmingham, AL to the Chinese Warrior show. That was worth the long trip up. We spent the night and came home the next day. I paint for leisure at my pleasure
    I think when ‘trust’ in a relationship is lost; there is little that can be done to ever get it back. But, I also think that when you see you spouse doing things that are not like him/her, you need to try to figure out. Saying he/she is going to be one place when that is the furthest thing from their mind or what they do. If they suddenly start taking a lot more time with their looks and going to the gym without you or staying late at work without the ‘extra income’ coming into the budget, that’s when you need to find out or ask what they are up to. Even now, if I go into town for any reason I will call Louis and tell him and ask if there is anything I need to do before coming home. I don’t drive at night if I can help it

I see so many little things to help in the kitchen; but, I don’t have the room to store them; other than a wire rack that is already full and I ‘hate’ it. I’d like to have cabinets built around the window; but, at the moment it seems like if it can break, it does. I’d love to change the flooring; Louis need to finish the repainting of the sheetrock parts. He has an outstanding balance of $3000 for his dental work (at first he thought he and the dentist were going to ‘barter’ the work; but, that ended up not happening). Got to come up with cash for that, so that means the new flooring is only a pipe dream at this point. The porch is going to cost about $600 to finish it, including the door; and, then we have to decide what we want to do with the floor in there. I’m thinking that if he fills in the cracks between the plywood floors and smooths it out; we can paint it and then I can go back and splash the 2 prominent colors and maybe get a rug in there as well. I guess I will just have to dream a little longer. I open the French door(s) going out to the porch in the morning because it is cool at there. Oh, that is another expense we’ll have to talk about – cooling and heating it. I need to see if there is any way to de-clutter the house; so far, I guess I have too much attachment to what is in it to get rid of it. I did de-clutter our dresser and closets and do the Marie Kondo “Spark Joy” folding and hanging of clothes, which really helped because our closets are small (because we did not put them in the drawing of the plans.

Now to go pick up the glass I had cut to go on the wicker table that I bought for $15 at a garage sale; then I don’t have to worry about the dog hitting it and knocking off the art box that sits on it now.

Still one more page to go; by the time I get back will probably be 3.

Lenora
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    <3