WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Been a busy week! Still keeping up on my daily walking and my challenges. So far I am up to 80 squats, 50 crunches, 35 jumping jacks and a 45 second plank. Today was a "rest" day for the squats and crunches, and BOY!, was I glad of that! Those are starting to take so much out of me, that I have had to switch my exercises around and do the plank first; otherwise I can't make it for the entire time without losing form or dropping a knee.
    Janet- Mia is gorgeous! She looks like a very content little girl! Happy 3rd month birthday, baby Mia!
    Allie- Tom is an a**! SO...you found the receipt for the tickets and hotel?! I, personally, would be sorely tempted to cancel the hotel reservations. If the ticket numbers are handy, it would also be fun to call the ticket office and report them stolen! Revenge. Not pretty; but sure feels good having a little fun getting just a bit of it! No one injured; just a well planned evening of deceit ruined for him and his lady friend. >:)
    Becca- Fuschia! I thought that was what the pink flower was, but wasn't sure as mine are always the purple and hot pink! I buy those for my hanging baskets every year. They are hummingbird magnets! So pretty!
    In regards to retirement: At 50, I am SO far from retirement, I can't see it in the distance! I figure I will have 10-15 more years of full time childcare, so that we can get the house paid off. I will probably have to work at least 25-30 hours a week after that to pay bills, insurance, etc. Unless we win the lottery, I don't foresee actual retirement in my future. I would be okay with a 20 hour a week job, though. As long as I can come and go and have vacations when I want, I will be happy.

Kids arriving. Busy two weeks (last two weeks of school for kids (next week) and teachers (the week after)) coming up. I am looking forward to that last week in June when my numbers drop and I am left with just my summer crew! ttfn KJ
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

It is going to be a beautiful day here. I'm off to work, but hope to get home early enough to get some work done. The knees are not cooperating at all. It's June 8th and I've already gone bust on my goals for the month. So starting over again today. Yes, lots of stress the last couple of days ... but I have to get over emotional eating if I ever want to be successful long-term.

Allie ... I'm thinking of you ....

Lanette ... it might be wise to "not touch" as well as "just look" today with the puppies. You know you're sunk already ...

Beth near Buffalo
  • lzbthcwik182
    lzbthcwik182 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello. First timer here from Iowa. Logging since thanksgiving day 2016. Goal is to keep logging and not gain during vacation next week. Going to Vermont and it looks to be rainy. Food and staying indoors could be a tricky combo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Sitting here waiting to go into lawyers...trying to be peaceful and breath deep
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Retired almost 6 years, atter 40+ years.

Janetr okc
  • naturalhomebody
    naturalhomebody Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recognition! I am down 92 pounds and just the last month people at work are saying, "have you been losing weight?" Or, "you've lost weight haven't you?" I just smile and say, "yes, I have been trying to lose some." I think it is because I have finally gone out and bought new clothes that fit! Down from 26-28 to 16-18! It hasn't finally sunk in. At the store, I kept pulling sizes off the rack that were too big. My sister said, "you are smaller than you think you are."

How our eyes and minds lie to us. It will take me awhile to realize my weight is down. At times in the past when I was thinner and gained weight back, my eyes and mind lied again to me—telling me that I wasn't fat.

Weight is coming off slower. I sit and play with a pound, up and down for what seems like weeks. I have increased my exercise. I keep a food journal faithfully—one of the tools of my success.

Any tips out there? The more I exercise, the hungrier I get. I reach for crackers, breads, etc for the fast fix. I have even been overdosing on yogurt at night. It hits around 8 at night. Any foods out there (besides carrots and celery) that pack a punch but have lower carbs that I could use? Any sweet treats that any of you have found that will be a treat but not a killer?

Rimmy
    Chicagoland

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Allie - (((hugs))) I am so sorry that you are going through this and he is such an @$$. I would definitely ask the lawyer how you would get him out of the house since he is cheating on you. If all the sudden he has nowhere to go the girlfriend might not even want him! I would definitely cancel the hotel reservation and tickets! Go pick the tickets up before he gets there...I would make his life miserable!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    This semester's course is finished! I handed in my last two assignments last night.

I work full time and take one course each semester, slowly working toward a Master's degree. Here in Australia we can do it one step at a time. The first step is Graduate Certificate ... and I graduated with that last December. The next step is the Graduate Diploma ... which is what I'm working on now. And then finally, the last few courses to get the Masters. It's a long slow process doing it one course per semester.

The last few weeks have been stressful ... surgery + finishing the course and of course all the big assignments are due right at the end + busy at work + my father.

I got so tired staying up late working on the assignments etc. that I started having trouble getting to sleep and sleeping through the night. I'm exhausted!

This evening was the first time I've just relaxed in a long time!

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4hr Jillian Michael's Extreme Shed and Shred DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to go to the water class.

Went to ceramics last night and finished my dragonfly. Started on the house number sign. Boy, is that detailed work!

Volunteer at the Green Room this morning. This is the last time I will be there for this season, I go again in August. I made a chicken and dumplings casserole for the lady who is in charge of the volunteers (right now) and 1/2 a key lime cake. See, she's diabetic so I'm sure she won't mind only getting 1/2 a cake.While I'm at the Green Room Vince is going to get more gas for the tractor/lawn mower, more straw from Lowes and a new propane tank. I know that he doesn't get any satisfaction from landscaping, but the problem is that he has this "thing" against paying someone to do something that he can do himself. So it's a problem. When we had the pool built, we had the people seed and fertilize the entire backyard. Vince said that we needed to rake the straw up which also meant we took up some of the new grass. I told him that it was really our fault that the grass didn't take, we didn't reseed and fertilize like we should. You have no idea how many times I've held my tongue now that we have to seed, fertilize, and put straw on top. I'm just telling you all. See, when I was growing up we lived in an apt, he lived in a house so I'm taking it that he knows more about landscaping than I do.

Rori - happy birthday to your hubby

Allie - you'll be in my thoughts all day. Things will get better after you talk to the lawyer. You're stronger than you think. Hey, I like KJ's idea of canceling the reservations! And her idea of saying that the tickets were stolen...priceless. See what the lawyer says about cancelling and reporting the "theft". Will that hurt your case?

Welcome everyone new

Rimmy - fantastic loss. Yes, new clothes really do make you look slimmer. I've found that those small cups of applesauce are good for the nighttime snacks. Not high in calories. Right now I always keep one in the freezer. Kind of like sherbet...kind of

Well, gotta get to the Green Room

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    he has the tickets already ... but the reservation thing is a great idea...
    well the ball has started rolling, gave her a 7500.00 retainer on our joint credit card, she was very informative, and is a good fit for me...
    he will be served tomorrow when he gets out of work at his car, when everyone else is getting out of work.... >:) I know that is mean, was going to have him served here but oh well. To Bad How sad.. gonna be a hell of a weekend thats for sure..
  • garnetann2014
    garnetann2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday morning from Lamoni, Iowa. Breakfast was an egg-white omelet with basil, mushrooms, a little cheese and salsa. Plus coffee. Did my hour on the treadmill. I was ready to quit at 45 minutes, but i remembered my goal of an hour and I stayed with it. The dogs already have some fleas, so I cut off my arm and leg and bought the good stuff. It says it will last 3 months, and my vet confirmed that. The front-line seems to lost it's effectiveness. I have three dogs right now. All rescue dogs. The black lab is Lucy, I babysit her for my son who just got out of the air force. She has stayed with me a lot over the last 8 years whenever he has to travel. But he is back in Iowa now, but has not found a place yet. We could use a little rain here, starting to get dry. I work at a university and during the summer it is very slow and quiet, so I try to take Fridays off. I have 9 more years until I can retire, but I could retire now on a full pension from my work. But my other retirement plan would not kick in for a few years, so I am better off staying here for a while. Anyway, hope everyone has a great day.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I will be very busy today driving to and from my MRI appointment. Hopefully they won't find anything up there besides some cobwebs! Then DH'S DGS'S baseball game tonight!

Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X10X35

May Move Your *kitten* Challenge
    I will take at least one 2.5 mile walk today.

Have a fantastic day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    We've been to vote. Not that it makes any difference where we live as the incumbent has a huge majority - but you have to do your civic duty. :)

Good one Allie! I like the idea of him being served as everyone is coming out of work.

I reminded DH that we were going to ring our painter friend about the hall and landing. So he rang him and he was just up the road! He called in for a cup of tea. He's going to come end September, beginning of October, so that we will be away for the hall part of it. I'm going to book the Hove apartment now so that we know the dates. That should work out well. :D Just got to choose a colour. (Hate that - can never decide)

Machka - I bet you are breathing a sigh of relief! :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    CricketsGirl – I have been retired for nearly 20 years; not by choice. I had been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about 5 years earlier; but, was able to work when I wasn’t having an ‘episode’. My boss hired a young lady who had just graduated from HS to work my job when I was out; and, he continued to pay me while I was ‘out’. He chose to keep her to be our ‘runner’, which was nice. Then he was appointed as a Federal Magistrate and took me along as his secretary; and, I had been doing fine and then had an ‘episode’ at work. The law clerk was the only one there when I did and not until he got back from court did he realize that I was having an episode and told me to ‘go home, I could not do my job’. Then he realized I did not really need to be driving and called Louis and told him he was taking me home. I thought I had been ‘fired’; but, that wasn’t the case, I was ‘not able to do my job, that day’. I think I cried for 3 solid days. He then came over and said that I needed to retire and he had talked to the Clerk of Court and told me that there was enough ‘donated time’ and they would continue paying me until my SSD got started. It took almost 3 years before I got it through my head that I would never be able to go back to my job.

Now, I have enjoyed my retirement because it gives me the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I immersed myself back into my art, which I had not had time to do. I took some online classes and learned how to draw. Mainly, because my oldest son said, ‘that only REAL artist could draw in pencil; ‘anybody’ could paint. That Christmas I surprised him with a drawing of a turkey (and he was surprised to find that I could draw in pencil). I told him I never wanted to hear him say that ‘real’ artist could draw in pencil, because I ‘knew’ I was a ‘real’ artist.
    But, I did not exercise and did not eat what I should have, but, not concerned about gaining a pound or sometime two until one of my MDs said at that rate I was putting on 12 – 18 pounds a year. Sure enough from the time I started putting on weight I ended up weighing about 199lbs; I swore I would not top 200lbs, and, that was driven home when I had to buy a larger sized dress for my DYS’s wedding. Seeing the pictures, I realized just how ‘matronly’ I looked and how big I really was. In 2006, I had an ‘episode’ bad enough that I had to be put into the hospital because I was ‘Lithium Toxic’. That was a wakeup call after I lost back down to 144lbs in a matter of a couple of months. I had spent 3 weeks in the ICU. So from 2006 through 2015; I was back up from 144 – 199 lbs. Now I am 160lbs and working ‘really’ hard to get back to my normal weight of approximately 140lbs and get my BMI back to a ‘normal’ one. This last 20 has been the hardest to do. I still need to ‘exercise’ more than I do.

Walking outside with my dog for an hour does not burn nearly as many calories as 15 minutes on a treadmill. Not until Louis cut a path for me to follow was I able to walk around the property we own. I have a pattern that when I follow it, it talks about an hour. I used to walk in the pool that my husband and DOS had bought from his brother-in-law. Unfortunately, because they ended up filing for bankruptcy; the pool has become a burden on him. It raises his electricity bill by about $100 and it is in need of replacing the pump. So this year he is letting it go and not treating the water so I can get in it. It is in his yard, not ours. We’d have to buy a ‘new’ liner if it got move to our property. We have talked about giving him the ‘extra’ that he has to pay because of it; but, when he told us that he would not clean it, that I would have to … we decided not to do so. Last year he *kitten* all the time because I was the only one who used it consistently. It is going to cost him ‘more’ to take it down than just letting it fall down. If we did not have other things that we want to do; I think we would have considered moving it. It was ‘great’ exercise and I will certainly miss it. But, Louis has put down his foot that he doesn’t want it in our yard.

We’ve paid off our credit card debts and the only 2 we have is the ones that Louis uses in his business. It seems like since, we have had so many other bills come up that we still find that it feels like we are ‘in a hole’. First his business truck which has over 400K miles on it needed a new engine, then a transmission; but replacing those was much cheaper than buying a new one; because that would mean we’d have 2 vehicle payments. IF it breaks down again, I will let him take my HONDA and trade it in for an extended cab truck and we will operate as a one-vehicle family.

I’m not really an early bird; but, I do get up to share a cup of coffee and sometimes breakfast with Louis; something I just crawl back in bed until 8:15, when my body is ready to get up (or later). My hobbies are drawing and painting, reading, and, I have just started dabbling in growing orchids. At least so far, I have not killed one and one is actually blooming for a 2nd time. Like Barbie I am also living my dreams.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Becca - sorry to hear about your neighbor! She is so lucky to have you to help her with her bills and her pets.

Love those Fuschia's! Didn't get any this year - want to look into hardy fuschia's when I get a chance. Those flowers are unbelievable.

Hope YOU are feeling better!

Pip
    , I'd say we were within 5 miles of your place several times. They fed us at the Mika Japanese Buffet. Wow, lots of sushi, salads, all kinds of tempura, fish dishes. I tried to control myself and eat a little bit of lots of things.

Janetr - Lordy that Mia is precious. We sure have had lots of ADORABLE babies these past few months! Love them - so good for our hearts to see them.

Lenora, I think you are right about the bleeding hearts - too hot for too long down south. I remember my grandma in Indiana had a nice bleeding heart bush that did OK. Out here they grow wild in places it seems. Do you have honeysuckle? Our huge huge vine is flowering now and should perfume the back yard all summer. I started it several years ago from a little branch I stole from my neighbor's vine..... I mean, I was just helping her prune it! When she wasn't looking. >:) Master Gardeners do that sometimes, unless there's a big ugly sign warning us not to. There are also native honeysuckle here that grow in the forest with orange flowers.

Well, rain is coming... perhaps thunderstorms. I expect Becca and Katla will be getting some rain very soon if it's not there already.

Sleep tight ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

i could have walked or jogged there from home. my nails lady is in that mall area
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kate & Heather: I hope your elections go better than ours did. We had a choice between bad and worse. Both political parties let us down, in my opinion. :grumble:

Allie: You go, girl! (((HUGS))) You have many caring friends sending you support and strength. I hope your lawyer is a barracuda. :devil:

Rimmy: Welcome to a great group! My sweet indulgence is dark chocolate. I've had to switch brands because the one that has been my mainstay has disappeared from the market place. The substitute is Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Squares, 60% cacao. They are individually wrapped, and I can eat just one. It is 50 calories. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Congratulations on all of your achievements and (((hugs))) for the workload. :star:

Mary from MI: Good luck with the MRI. I hope they don't find anything scary. My DH gets them regularly because of his MS. He doesn't seem to mind the process. I had to have one once, years ago, and absolutely freaked out. I'm still embarrassed for being such a wimp. :ohwell:

I have plans to go horseback riding today and it is raining. Thunder is in the forecast until noon so we'll go after that. :grumble: The plan was to avoid the arena because it is so dusty. I'll take a slicker along so I can stay dry riding outside. I want to introduce my husband & dog to Arrow, but I don't expect them to hang around for the whole time. It will be a two car trip. Later in the day, he has a dental appointment that he isn't looking forward to and I'll need to be his driver.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    319237v4ndtb09xz.gif
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Feeling still a little off. Aches and pains are not fun. Have had a headache for days now, which is unlike me. I shall persevere!

Becca
    Oregon
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good morning. It’s going to be a hot one here today. We are having dinner with some friends’ tonight. I am staying home today working on a book…as usual I waited way too long to start. So now I am paying the price. Just when I want to be with DH while I can, here I sit. Well, it will pay off my car.

Becca: what kind of flower is that?! It is gorgeous!!!

Vicki: stay cool out there!

Felicia: we too live in a no-fault state. I was lucky that when my ex left me, he just left and signed away everything. He didn’t even take his clothes! I sold them at a garage sale! Ahahaha and enjoyed it!

Mia: oh my that sounds awful. Sending healing thoughts your way!

Allie: if there is an s-anon group in your area, I definitely recommend it! Much like al-anon it will help you put the focus on yourself and help you recover!

Janetr: what a darling baby!

Becca: sending prayers to your neighbor; you are an angel for helping out! I will need to change all my emergency contacts when DH leaves.

Katla: I admire you for sticking with the yoga. I am horrible at it….that downward dog always bites me!

Rimmy: congrats on your loss! So impressive!

Garnetann: we are practically neighbors! I live in Papillion NE, which is just south of Omaha

Well time to get crackin’ on the book. Take care and Hi to those I didn’t respond to personally. Meg from hot Omaha