Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @theresejesu are you turing complete?

ManOman . . . @stanmann571: You and I aren't always on the same wavelength, to say the least . . . but that's hilarious as baby feline, right there. Thanks for the belly laugh!.

Code breaker?

T.D.i.P.: Alan Turing. Turing test. Google it. There's a hoot in there.

I was actually half serious, there were some peculiar inconsistencies beyond normal human response.

Absolutely - for just one example, a certain ELIZA-like tendency to pick out a single idea or phrase in a post - not necessarily the most important one - and respond to that in a way slightly tangent to the original line of reasoning, because it makes formulating a seemingly conversational response easier.

If it weren't plausibly true, your remark still would've been funny, but . . . .

And the formerly daily poster hasn't been seen since my comment.

Honestly I'm interested, not just because I've spent time in the industry but also because of the potential applications for Moderate and Low functioning ASD. Especially since much of the truly groundbreaking work is being done by Moderate and High Functioning ASDers. Likely since some of the Moderate and High functioning ASDers I've had the privilege to work with over the years would have difficulties passing a strict Turing test.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Here's another one:

I believe that there truly exist people who, for some reason, maintain their weight (or even gain) on an accurately-tracked calorie consumption level that seems absurdly low for their size, to most of us. And these people are more likely to post in the forums than people who lose at average calorie levels, or at higher than average calorie levels.

I think many/most who claim such a thing are mistaken - instead, they're eating more than they think, or over-estimating exercise burn. But I think some are truthful, and not mistaken. Maybe 1 in 50? Not sure.

Why? The statistics suggest that there would be outliers at both extremes. Good-sized TDEE discrepancies among extreme weight-losers suggest that surprising adaptations are in the realm of the possible. Also, I've observed this a very small number of times in my MFP friend feed - people who appear to track accurately, but lose very slowly, and require low calorie levels to do it. Finally, I seem to be an outlier on the other end of the scale - I maintain at a calorie level 30%+ higher than calculators predict from my characteristics.

I don't talk about this belief much, because I think people who incorrectly believe they have a "slow metabolism" are much (much) more common. But I wish the forums would be a little less bullying about this possibility, just in case: It's possible to say that an OP's beliefs are unlikely, without calling them names.

Thanks - my husband is just such a person. I've watched him forever scrupulously log his calories (he uses Lose It!) and work out almost every day and Just. Not. Lose. I think part of it is that whatever the fitness trackers/watches/whatever are telling him he expends in calories, just isn't true. It, in fact, couldn't be, for him. It just isn't.

Also that exercise is X amount better than "dieting" for his pre-diabetes glucose levels. Well, after a month of trekking in the Himalayas and losing 30 pounds, his blood sugar skyrocketed because they were mostly eating high-carb foods. I mentioned that to his nutritionist and she just ignored it. (I realize that was an extreme situation, of course.) It's like there is this "but that CAN'T be true" reaction, when it IS true. I'm a scientist so I know the extreme importance given to scientific evidence and controlled studies but.

At some point there are outliers. At some point, evidence is reality.

I'm one of them. It takes a ridiculously high level of activity for me to eat what most people my size/age would eat. I just had to lower my calorie intake another 250 calories because I've been experiencing weight creep for 2 months now.

At 5'9" and 158 lbs, I'm gaining weight on a net 1,550 / day calorie intake. This is in-line with my experience my whole life. I weigh everything, I don't nibble or snitch foods, and I'm extremely conservative on my exercise calories (only counting pedometer steps, not getting "extra" for higher-intensity activities like hiking or using the elliptical etc.) I had to maintain a deficit larger than predicted in order to lose the weight as well. This played into my weight creep in early adulthood as I found it difficult to keep up the discipline necessary to get 2+ hours of physical activity every day and impossible to maintain eating as little as I was allowed if I didn't. At this point I'm over the sense of injustice and just resigned to the fact that I can't change reality, no matter how unfair it is.

Same here. I can still get plenty of calories with activity because I'm still heavy, but it takes me more restriction to achieve a certain rate of weight loss (right now I have my age set to 20 years older on my fitbit to match my loss). I know it will get harder as I get smaller and my calorie budget gets tighter and at the rate this is going I will be at around 1500 net calories for maintenance which is about 200-250 calories lower than calculators predict. I completely agree with you. It is what it is, and knowing is better than not because it means I can work with what I have to achieve what I want. Wallowing in it would only make me miserable.

One more thing I have noticed which is curious. When I'm bed bound my calories are almost on point for loss. I'm not sure how much of it is healing and how much of it is just that my body has better economy for movement but not for essential functions. I tried to stay in bed all day once voluntarily to find out, but could not make it past day 2 which isn't enough data points. Curious nonetheless.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I really dislike this low carb high fat diet stuff.... Yes I know it's helped a lot of people but it annoys me as I need to keep my fat low due to gallbladder issues and when searching for low fat recipes/fb groups etc all I keep getting is low carb high fat information because its so popular, plus all these fad diets that help lose weight temporally but not long term which consists of starving yourself of food and nutrients your body needs, it's not teaching people anything apart from an easy fix but 6 - 18 months later they will most likely be back where they started or even heavier. This is just my own personal view I'm far from an expert on weight loss as I am still tweaking my healthy lifestyle change now and then :)
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Cardio sucks!
This discussion has been closed.