Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Cancer is a roll of the dice. Sure there are things you can do environmentally to increase your chances of getting cancer but the basal rate isn't zero. No matter what you do there is a chance that you will get cancer because cancer isn't some disease that you catch, its a chance with every cell division that your cells will layer enough specific mutations into their genomes to go rogue and start dividing without regulation.

Things that are carcinogens either damage cells in a way that they have to be repaired or they need to be replaced (increasing the number of times the cells divide thus increasing the chances of error) or they are things that cause DNA damage or mutation (such as UV radiation or certain mutagens (thus increasing the chance that one of your cells will get those mutations).

There is a reason why most cancer happens in tissues that are constantly replicating to replenish themselves and there is a reason why chemotherapy selectively targets those tissues (things like intestinal lining, hair follicles etc) leading to nausea and hair loss.

Is it possible that certain diets increase your chances of specific types of cancer? Yeah its possible, but there isn't any concrete epidemiological studies that demonstrate that. And either way the chance will never be zero. No matter what your diet is, you can still get cancer.

As for breaking your hip because you eat meat that is just a weird thing to claim. Clearly the cause of a mother breaking bones is related to what cracks their children step on. Its actually a commonly held misconception that stepping on cracks only will break your mother's back, other bones are also at risk.

Omg it's Aaron!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hi @Aaron_K123 nice to see you back. h
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    As for breaking your hip because you eat meat that is just a weird thing to claim. Clearly the cause of a mother breaking bones is related to what cracks their children step on. Its actually a commonly held misconception that stepping on cracks only will break your mother's back, other bones are also at risk.

I have missed you so much.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    My unpopular idea is that going vegetarian or vegan can be healthier for you, the animal kingdom, and the planet. I don't worry about getting the diseases that my parents had, since my lifestyle is entirely different. Neither of them were overweight, but my dad died of pancreatic cancer and my mom from Alzheimer's and a broken hip -- they both consumed animal products. I think it is easier to maintain a healthy weight by avoiding animal products and GMOs.

Here's a few vegan foods:

Oreos
    Nutter Butter cookies
    Cracker Jacks
    Doritos
    Kool Aid
    Swedish Fish
    Sour Patch Kids
    Red Bull energy drink
    Fritos
    Pop Tarts
    Pringles

So if I construct my diet exclusively of the above foods, it will be easier to maintain a healthy weight than eating a balanced diet which includes lean meats, fish and eggs along with whole grains, fruits and vegetables? And I'll be disease free and live longer and not have broken hips and Alzheimers?

Magical.

Nutter Butters are my go-to road trip food (although I don't expect to live longer because of it).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My unpopular idea is that going vegetarian or vegan can be healthier for you, the animal kingdom, and the planet. I don't worry about getting the diseases that my parents had, since my lifestyle is entirely different. Neither of them were overweight, but my dad died of pancreatic cancer and my mom from Alzheimer's and a broken hip -- they both consumed animal products. I think it is easier to maintain a healthy weight by avoiding animal products and GMOs.

Oreos
    Nutter Butter cookies
    Cracker Jacks
    Doritos
    Kool Aid
    Swedish Fish
    Sour Patch Kids
    Red Bull energy drink
    Fritos
    Pop Tarts
    Pringles

So if I construct my diet exclusively of the above foods, it will be easier to maintain a healthy weight than eating a balanced diet which includes lean meats, fish and eggs along with whole grains, fruits and vegetables? And I'll be disease free and live longer and not have broken hips and Alzheimers?

Magical.

Wait, what? I thought Swedish Fish contained gelatin?!!?

Signed,

Missing the point entirely

;););)

No gelatin!

(But they're still weirdly high in calories -- 150 for just *seven fish*!).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I'm feeling very opinionated lately - here's another one. In my opinion, if you don't count calories and believe that counting is obsessive or a moral failure, belittling people on a calorie counting forum for, well, counting, is trolling.

How about someone who says that calorie counting is too inexact a science, and then goes on to say that IF is better (ya know, 'cause thats MORE exact). I mean, I like IF for me (with calorie counting), but seriously?

(referring to bizarre 'CICO, still skeptical' thread)

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of "Really, if you can't learn to listen to your body and intuitively eat just the amount of food you need to maintain there's something wrong with your relationship with food." types of comments in terms of trolling.

But, you're right, those comments annoy the hell out of me because ANY way of managing energy balance is inexact and relies on trial and error, so why post on a calorie counting site that because the CICO calculations can't be spot on the method isn't valid? Especially because it's usually in defense of some type of restrictive eating plan that that works for THEM, but wouldn't suit most people.

CICO works because it is a balance and balance often works best with averages. No, there is no way you can tell exactly how many calories are in that Granny Smith apple because different growing conditions (even apples from 2 trees growing side by side) will produce an apple that has a little more water or a little more sugar but the average calorie count per 100 grams for a granny smith will be good enough to figure a balance. Same thing for exercise. One day you may burn 200 calories for a 1 mile run and the next day you may burn 210.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Oreos
    Nutter Butter cookies
    Cracker Jacks
    Doritos
    Kool Aid
    Swedish Fish
    Sour Patch Kids
    Red Bull energy drink
    Fritos
    Pop Tarts
    Pringles

Magical.

Wait, what? I thought Swedish Fish contained gelatin?!!?

Signed,

Missing the point entirely

;););)

No gelatin!

(But they're still weirdly high in calories -- 150 for just *seven fish*!).

7? that should be a crime.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well yogurt certainly has culture so we have that covered.
    We could also add an artist doing an on site mural of the festivities. Everyone at goal weight of course.

Cheers, h.
This discussion has been closed.