Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well that really could get interesting @lemurcat12.
    We could do yogurt art on top of the cheese cakes as topping.

Cheers, h.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll give a pass to people with pre-existing psychological problems around food and eating, especially if they're in therapy for same, but:

I think people are asking for trouble if they start refusing to go to friends' homes for events involving food because they don't know the calories, or refusing to go to restaurants with friends because they don't know what to order.

Can it be a brief transitional strategy? Maybe. Do you have to accept every invitation, if they're frequent/routine? No.

But if isolation from family/friends and food celebrations becomes an essential element of one's healthy-weight lifestyle, that's not life balance.

Agreed.

Having this discussion atm on another thread or 2...

I will turn down events/visits if I think my workout will benefit me more...for example I turned down time with my husband last week as he went to look at land...I didn't want to look at it...no interest in it....workout came first.

and I will turn down outings to eat out if I know the food won't be worth it...often times suggesting cooking at home instead...

But if you are insisting on never going out due to workouts etc...that is an issue.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll give a pass to people with pre-existing psychological problems around food and eating, especially if they're in therapy for same, but:

I think people are asking for trouble if they start refusing to go to friends' homes for events involving food because they don't know the calories, or refusing to go to restaurants with friends because they don't know what to order.

Can it be a brief transitional strategy? Maybe. Do you have to accept every invitation, if they're frequent/routine? No.

But if isolation from family/friends and food celebrations becomes an essential element of one's healthy-weight lifestyle, that's not life balance.

I drive my wife nuts because she'll cook something and I either won't eat it or I'll spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what she put in it and how to log it. She likes to cook Chinese food (she's Chinese ;) ) and her "throw togethers" can consist of about 5 different types of veggies and various meats tossed into a wok. Delicious, but dang hard to log. I'm currently bulking and getting enough calories is one my prime goals... but the logging issues are the same. I always get paranoid that I'm going to end up in a deficit and waste a great day lifting.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    I don't think weighing everything you eat is mentally healthy. A few hard to estimate and calorie dense items? sure. Everything for a few weeks to get a better sense of portion sizes? good idea. Weighing every single thing as a long term plan is neither sustainable nor mentally healthy.

I am one that could never find weighing my food sustainable. I didn't even last a month. But I don't think that equates to it being unsustainable for others, and certainly not mentally unhealthy in a general sense.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't think weighing everything you eat is mentally healthy. A few hard to estimate and calorie dense items? sure. Everything for a few weeks to get a better sense of portion sizes? good idea. Weighing every single thing as a long term plan is neither sustainable nor mentally healthy.

Kitchen scales are only seen as unhealthy because Americans aren't used to equipping their kitchens with them. Other countries use them all the time.

I'm American and I've had a food scale for decades because it's sometimes important for measurements to be exact when preserving food. But that's the only time I drag it out because it's tedious to me.

I would never consider using it when cooking a meal. I rarely measure anything other than with my eyeballs when cooking. The only time I use cups is for grains and the liquid to cook them in and then it's often just a coffee mug.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's no less sustainable than using a measuring cup (I find it easier actually because I don't have anything to wash up afterwards) and I'm unsure how you can determine that it's mentally unhealthy for someone else. What are you basing that on?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I am one that could never find weighing my food sustainable. I didn't even last a month. But I don't think that equates to it being unsustainable for others, and certainly not mentally unhealthy in a general sense.

Yeah, other people do things that are unsustainable *for me* or would lead me to feel anxious or otherwise mentally unwell. But that doesn't reflect on what those practices mean to them.
This discussion has been closed.