Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    loftus4827 wrote: »
    Kettle bells are retarded. There I said it

I dunno, I've got one that makes a pretty awesome doorstop.

It's heavy enough to keep the service door open and it has that handle thing so I don't have to bend all the way over to move it out of the way. It's a keeper!

Old-timey iron irons for ironing clothes do it better.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My unpopular idea is that going vegetarian or vegan can be healthier for you, the animal kingdom, and the planet. I don't worry about getting the diseases that my parents had, since my lifestyle is entirely different. Neither of them were overweight, but my dad died of pancreatic cancer and my mom from Alzheimer's and a broken hip -- they both consumed animal products. I think it is easier to maintain a healthy weight by avoiding animal products and GMOs.
    While I'm not in support of GMO's, I don't see how that has anything to do with maintaining a healthy weight.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    ...unless you're good on your coconut oil. They say it stops that.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My mother-in-law has the healthiest plant based diet of anyone I have ever met. Nutrition is her hobby, and even though I think she probably meets the dictionary definition of orthorexia, her diet is insanely meticulous and healthy. She's never even been close to the overweight side of the BMI, walks 10,000+ steps a day, drinks half her body weight in water a day (I know that's not recommended, but you try telling her that). Crazy organized lady.

I don't agree with her on diet and nutrition (I think meat and sugar are part of a healthy diet too), but I don't deny that she's found a way of eating that is healthy for her.

She developed bladder cancer three years ago.

She's fine now, and it probably won't come back, but you can't control some things by diet. We were all teasing her about how she's the healthiest person we know, but she's the one to get cancer.
This discussion has been closed.