Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I was in the Army... it was mid January 1992 - Ft. Devens, MA. Cold cold cold snow and black ice everywhere. I was sitting in my barracks room thinking if I wanted to risk breaking something and taking a walk to the post Bowling Alley or maybe the Enlisted Club for some food. I was starving and I had missed dinner at the chow hall.

Then I remembered that my Grandma had sent me a a fruitcake for Christmas. It was still sitting in my wall locker, neatly wrapped in cellophane. Well, hunger won out and I took a nibble. Hmmm.... not so bad. Took a bite.... hey, not bad at all! I ate the entire thing. I don't know if it was just hunger or what, but it was delicious.

I haven't eaten one since. So, my current opinion might not be so generous. ;)

I went through training at Fort Devens in the winter also: 1983-84. 05H.

Ah! A morse guy. I was a SIGINT analyst there TDY for the Electronic Warfare Analyst Course. I grew up in Arizona so Massachusetts in the winter was a bit of a shock for me. ;)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I was in the Army... it was mid January 1992 - Ft. Devens, MA. Cold cold cold snow and black ice everywhere. I was sitting in my barracks room thinking if I wanted to risk breaking something and taking a walk to the post Bowling Alley or maybe the Enlisted Club for some food. I was starving and I had missed dinner at the chow hall.

Then I remembered that my Grandma had sent me a a fruitcake for Christmas. It was still sitting in my wall locker, neatly wrapped in cellophane. Well, hunger won out and I took a nibble. Hmmm.... not so bad. Took a bite.... hey, not bad at all! I ate the entire thing. I don't know if it was just hunger or what, but it was delicious.

I haven't eaten one since. So, my current opinion might not be so generous. ;)

I went through training at Fort Devens in the winter also: 1983-84. 05H.

Ah! A morse guy. I was a SIGINT analyst there TDY for the Electronic Warfare Analyst Course. I grew up in Arizona so Massachusetts in the winter was a bit of a shock for me. ;)

I went through basic in Jan-Mar of 1989 at Ft Knox. The poor southern guys had a really hard time coping, they marked them with black duct tape around the shoulder flap on their field jackets so that they would get pulled when the temperature dropped too low. I'm from Michigan originally and found the winter weather in Kentucky to be comparatively rather mild and pleasant, lol.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Yep. This has taken a weird turn. From "a PT must be in shape" (I still think they don't have to if they don't want to) to all kinds of irrelevant silliness.

Are you .....amused

I am actually. I'm more amused than insulting by fat shaming. I wonder why it happens and what mechanisms drive it.

I'm sure this is going to be another unpopular opinion but I think the nasty insults are ones you have no control over or are plain false. Race, sex, sexual orientation, cognitive function, etc are inexcusible. Fat, lazy...if it's true and what they say bothers you, change it! If it's not true or you don't care, why are we still talking about it?

Personally, I fat shame because it worked on me. I was fat and became so ashamed of it due to nicknames, comments etc that I actually did something about it. Sometimes the best helping hand is a swift kick in the @$$. Did it suck at the time? Yup. Now, I wouldn't change it for anything.

For the record, I'd never fat shame someone I don't know personally. I acknowledge that tough-love approach doesn't work for everyone. But it does work for some...there's this chef from the UK (I forget his name) that lost over 100lbs because his friend texted him "Fat F***" every morning.

I'd rather hear what I need to hear over what I want to hear 100% of the time.

i mean, other than people on the internet right? cause that's all fun and games . . . eye roll.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    BMI is bull... to an extent. I think you can be quite healthy with a slightly elevated BMI and that BFP is a much better indicator of health status. I think a lot of people agree on that. The unpopular part is when I say "slightly." I don't know how many people in my fitness groups use the "BMI is crap" excuse to say they aren't very overweight when their BMI is WAY above obese range. It's not that it's a complete bull measure, just doesn't account for some variables. There's room fro upward fluctuation, but not THAT much.

Also, I don't think you can be obese and perfectly healthy. People say they're healthy and obese and that it's "just because of hypothyroidism" that they're fat. Well, I wouldn't consider hyporthyroidism a healthy thing. I know it's not their fault but there's still a health issue at hand. ALSO, I have hyporthyroidism and while yes it's a bit harder to lose weight, it is completely possible. When I'm not losing weight or when I'm gaining it's because I've been cutting corners or snacking. Does it suck that my skinny friends seem to be able to eat all the taco bell in the world and stay a size 4? Yes, but that doesn't make it an excuse for me to be and stay fat.

I'm in complete agreement with you here, start to finish. I know the opinion on BMI and the accuracy of the cutoffs on the margins are unpopular based on reactions to posts I've made on this topic. On another thread I brought up concerns with the statistical validity of the 25 cutoff worldwide, and got more "woo" marks than the sum of all other reactions. Irritating. Very irritating. I seriously think people don't listen or comprehend that I'm arguing variances of 5-20 lbs, not trying to talk away obesity much less morbid obesity.

I happen to agree with both of you.

Where I part company with you is agreeing with a statement like "I think BMI is bull".

Because it's not.

It's got a purpose, for populations. It's not really a useful metric for individuals and isn't meant to be.

I just don't think making a blanket statements with language calling it crap or bull is helpful to the point trying to be made about it.

That's why my post said to an extent. And had an explanation. The reason I said the exact words "BMI is bull" is because I've seen those exact words on multiple fitness sites I've looked at and I was adding to it a basic "not really though..."
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eylesda wrote: »
    My hidden opinion of the merits of garlic, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, herbs, natural healing and medicines.
    So many people trust their mega rich doctors to prescribe expensive meds for them when there is a wealth of info out there about natural remedies for pennies.
    We seem to forget that most meds were developed from herbs, plants, even tree bark ffs!
    Not sure about rhinoceros horn to fix my libido though, chipped a tooth chewing on one, only after wrestling it to the ground alive, I add!

I think to a point we should look for a more natural remedy...but I won't go so far as to say that ACV has merit...

I know I feel better lowering my cholesterol in a natural way...aka losing weight so I don't need the meds...but that being said I may need them in the future even after I lost weight as mine is still high side of normal...

and I feel that when given the opportunity to guarantee it will be lower by using "meds" vs maybe it will get lowered if I do X...yah I go with the meds.
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Full fat Coke

is this the new bulletproof coffee? blend some coke with melted butter and mct oil?

I just gagged a little.

I knew people who would crush up hard cinnamon candy and dissolve it into their Cokes. :#

They had cinnamon Pepsi here not long ago. We-Columbus, Ohio-seem to be the test market for the US tho
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Pet peeve - people who believe that merely counting calories and not paying attention to nutrient levels is a healthy way to lose weight. Losing weight eating junk food may attain the immediate goal, but junk food doesn't supply sufficient balanced nutrition and it will likely cause problems later in life. Additives and artificial anything has to be filtered by the liver; this takes a toll on the liver, which, although it has an amazing ability to heal itself, will eventually wear out which can lead to fatty liver, fibrosis, cirrhosis and liver cancer.

First - this has been discussed repeatedly in this thread, and many others like it. Since it bears repeating, even though it is tedious to do so for someone who didn't bother to read through the thread... No one is saying that counting calories in order to lose weight is all that matters for health, and that nutrition is unimportant. NO ONE.

Second - also discussed in this thread and many others like it - what's your definition of junk food? That is such a broad term it's almost as unhelpful as "clean eating" as a descriptor.

Third - what are you talking about in that last sentence? Anything artificial is going to take a toll on my liver, resulting in cirrhosis and liver cancer? How, exactly, did you come to that preposterous conclusion? And with such sweeping generalizations - "additives and anything artificial"? Which additives? What definition of artificial are you using, can you provide some examples? Oh and some actual studies that support this claim?

In other words, "show me the data..."

I'm from Missouri - it's the Show Me State!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve - people who believe that merely counting calories and not paying attention to nutrient levels is a healthy way to lose weight. Losing weight eating junk food may attain the immediate goal, but junk food doesn't supply sufficient balanced nutrition and it will likely cause problems later in life. Additives and artificial anything has to be filtered by the liver; this takes a toll on the liver, which, although it has an amazing ability to heal itself, will eventually wear out which can lead to fatty liver, fibrosis, cirrhosis and liver cancer.

You may be misunderstanding what is being said or taking it out of context. I'll leave this here for you to explain some of it instead of writing a long post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeZVfPxwKM
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You may be misunderstanding what is being said or taking it out of context.

I am going with willful ignorance...
This discussion has been closed.