Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Yep. This has taken a weird turn. From "a PT must be in shape" (I still think they don't have to if they don't want to and if it doesn't affect their ability to train) to all kinds of irrelevant silliness.

My opinion: A PT SHOULD be in shape. Being out of shape CAN affect their ability to train. Not once did I say a PT has to be in shape or they're incapable.

There is a big difference between "can" and "will". Many things can affect ability to train including things completely unrelated to fitness. I would rather go for "a good PT is one who knows how to train" rather than single out one single factor that may or may not be relevant.

I agree completely that knowing how to train is the single biggest factor. I also think that if you're out of shape it begs the question why? Lack of self respect, lack of drive, or is it application of your knowledge?

Injury?

Yes, good point. My assumption is they're physically capable.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

few pages back but figured id toss in my cousin who has a rediculous amount of university for all sorts of training to become a personal trainer -including medical training has went to so much school and internships he never had time to do alot of the exercising and healthy eating himself. Hes insanely qualified, And because he is hes getting more and more out of shape the more courses he takes.

So where i agree to a degree, Fitness really doesnt mean you know what your doing- And being out of shape or overweight doesnt mean you dont.

That is awesome and takes a lot of dedication. I just don't think knowledge alone of a subject qualifies you to teach it to others or the practical application, regardless what said subject is. Your cousin is absolutely an authority on what they've studied but that is only half of being a Personal Trainer. I'm not saying your cousin is unqualified, simply saying knowledge alone doesn't make one qualified.

Are you being specific for training or are you talking all fields of knowledge?

Specifically about training but I think it would apply to some other fields of knowledge. Probably a poor example (thinking on the fly lol) but someone that knows everything there is to know about psychology from an education standpoint doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a good psychologist. I'm sure there would be plenty of exceptions to this though. What are you thinking?

Well, that's true in all aspects of life.
    Just seemed overly broad. I work at a research organization, so my first thoughts were of organic synthesis chemists, toxicologists or microbiologists, smattering of engineers. Without the education you won't go very far (some very small exceptions). Doesn't mean you'll be great, doesn't mean you won't be, but you have to have the education first.

• joemac1988
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

few pages back but figured id toss in my cousin who has a rediculous amount of university for all sorts of training to become a personal trainer -including medical training has went to so much school and internships he never had time to do alot of the exercising and healthy eating himself. Hes insanely qualified, And because he is hes getting more and more out of shape the more courses he takes.

So where i agree to a degree, Fitness really doesnt mean you know what your doing- And being out of shape or overweight doesnt mean you dont.

That is awesome and takes a lot of dedication. I just don't think knowledge alone of a subject qualifies you to teach it to others or the practical application, regardless what said subject is. Your cousin is absolutely an authority on what they've studied but that is only half of being a Personal Trainer. I'm not saying your cousin is unqualified, simply saying knowledge alone doesn't make one qualified.

Are you being specific for training or are you talking all fields of knowledge?

Specifically about training but I think it would apply to some other fields of knowledge. Probably a poor example (thinking on the fly lol) but someone that knows everything there is to know about psychology from an education standpoint doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a good psychologist. I'm sure there would be plenty of exceptions to this though. What are you thinking?

Well, that's true in all aspects of life.
    Just seemed overly broad. I work at a research organization, so my first thoughts were of organic synthesis chemists, toxicologists or microbiologists, smattering of engineers. Without the education you won't go very far (some very small exceptions). Doesn't mean you'll be great, doesn't mean you won't be, but you have to have the education first.

Oh, totally. What I think applies fairly universally is knowledge doesn't necessarily translate to effectiveness. I think the fields you refer to are a few rungs above PT, in terms of education and the stakes.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think that the "must be in shape" criteria mostly applies to the waves of PTs who get a quick PT cert and then immediately work at a local gym or fitness center. Not world class trainers, not people with extensive experience and/or formal education, just the sort I mentioned, which applies to me.

I became a certified PT several years ago because I wanted to serve on the corporate wellness board at work and it was a requirement (I have never trained private clients for money). I feel like part of my credibility when working with employees in various programs who were trying to lose weight was my appearance and my capabilities (to jump in and exercise with the group, participating in physical challenges, etc.). If I was overweight and unable to perform at a minimal level during events, I think it would have taken quite a bit of work to establish confidence. There were programs where we conducted weekly weigh-ins, I don't know how I could have stood there as an overweight coach and weighed the other overweight people and carried that off with any credibility.
  • joemac1988

This also applies to other things as well. I'm fat, but I'll brag I know more about weight loss and its strategies than some nutritionists.

Disclaimer: I'm not calling you fat...I don't know you or know what you look like.

Do people take you seriously and come to you for advice? I don't ask this to be mean, honest question. The reason I ask is I used to be very fat and never had anyone ask me for advice. I've added muscle and lost fat and I get approached through social media and in person almost every day asking for help with meal plans, workout routines and so on.

I'm not attaching this to the opinion I stated regarding CPT's. I'm genuinely curious what the perception is that you encounter.

People who know me come to me for advice because I'm one of the few people they know who was able to lose weight and keep it off for years (and yes, you can call me fat because I am fat). I imagine, and understandably, if I ever decide to be a nutritionist I would have to work harder on the business side of things because not many would understand my choice to have a happy goal weight in the overweight category. That's just how things are. First impressions are important and people can't be blamed for them. It doesn't, however, affect my knowledge level and experience with this topic.

Well said.
  • joemac1988
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I think that the "must be in shape" criteria mostly applies to the waves of PTs who get a quick PT cert and then immediately work at a local gym or fitness center. Not world class trainers, not people with extensive experience and/or formal education, just the sort I mentioned, which applies to me.

I became a certified PT several years ago because I wanted to serve on the corporate wellness board at work and it was a requirement (I have never trained private clients for money). I feel like part of my credibility when working with employees in various programs who were trying to lose weight was my appearance and my capabilities (to jump in and exercise with the group, participating in physical challenges, etc.). If I was overweight and unable to perform at a minimal level during events, I think it would have taken quite a bit of work to establish confidence. There were programs where we conducted weekly weigh-ins, I don't know how I could have stood there as an overweight coach and weighed the other overweight people and carried that off with any credibility.

Agreed. A PT is a leader of sorts and the best leaders are "do as I do, not as I say".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I understand what you're saying, and agree. Please take what follows as a reaction or extension, i.e. conversation, not disagreement at all.

Since losing weight, I think there are contexts where I'm now less immediately credible as an influencer or advocate. This is as a peer, a regular person, not as PT.

I was a pretty fit fat person, fairly strong, decent CV fitness, decent endurance - competed as a rower, not always unsuccessfuly. ;) My performance stats haven't changed much with weight loss (though my new weight/age class is less competitive, so statistically I've improved. ;) ). I didn't "look fit" (BMI 30-ish), now I kinda do.

Working with new people, especially women 40+, in contexts like our learn-to-row classes, I had credibility I don't have any more, when I try to encourage not-so-fit people who are just starting out. "Look: I can do this (specific move or technique); so can you!" was surprisingly effective. "Here's how to get into a single shell with weight or flexibility limitations", demoed the exact same way, doesn't have the same effect it used to, as far as the person being obviously more willing to give it a try. The same is true in my attempts to encourage new fellow students in my spin classes. Now I get the "easy for you" look or even statement.

Though weight loss was a huge gain for my health and happiness, this particular aspect feels like a personal loss, and I didn't expect it.

Aside: Some of the fit youths taking learn-to-row don't believe me any or more or less than they used to (I'm old, 62). They should've, and should (I'm a better rower than they are, and was coaching certified, among other credentials). Some of them believe other fit beginners about rowing technique before than they believe me. SMH.

My situation isn't as specialized as yours, but I really identify with this.

At least for people I've met in the past 3 years, I think I often come across as someone who doesn't have to worry about my weight or even think about it much. Much of this is the success of calorie counting -- I'm pre-logging my food and on a pretty even keel, so I look like someone who is just eating what I want to eat. I'm pretty active, so it's relatively easy for me to fit in an impromptu happy hour and have a beer after work or grab a piece of candy when our boss brings some to a meeting.

So when co-workers or newer friends are having conversations about different weight challenges, I notice a difference in how people respond to me. They don't think I have anything relevant to share about how to start exercising or how to lose weight.

But I do have people come to me if they're, say, wanting to run a 10K and need advice on a training plan or what races in the area are the best. I never got questions like that before, even thought I've been running for most of my life.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

I understand what you're saying, and agree. Please take what follows as a reaction or extension, i.e. conversation, not disagreement at all.

Since losing weight, I think there are contexts where I'm now less immediately credible as an influencer or advocate. This is as a peer, a regular person, not as PT.

I was a pretty fit fat person, fairly strong, decent CV fitness, decent endurance - competed as a rower, not always unsuccessfuly. ;) My performance stats haven't changed much with weight loss (though my new weight/age class is less competitive, so statistically I've improved. ;) ). I didn't "look fit" (BMI 30-ish), now I kinda do.

Working with new people, especially women 40+, in contexts like our learn-to-row classes, I had credibility I don't have any more, when I try to encourage not-so-fit people who are just starting out. "Look: I can do this (specific move or technique); so can you!" was surprisingly effective. "Here's how to get into a single shell with weight or flexibility limitations", demoed the exact same way, doesn't have the same effect it used to, as far as the person being obviously more willing to give it a try. The same is true in my attempts to encourage new fellow students in my spin classes. Now I get the "easy for you" look or even statement.

Though weight loss was a huge gain for my health and happiness, this particular aspect feels like a personal loss, and I didn't expect it.

Aside: Some of the fit youths taking learn-to-row don't believe me any or more or less than they used to (I'm old, 62). They should've, and should (I'm a better rower than they are, and was coaching certified, among other credentials). Some of them believe other fit beginners about rowing technique before they believe me. SMH.

Edited: extra extra word word

It is interesting that your increased fitness actually reduced your credibility in certain instances, I would never have expected that...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member

Aside: Some of the fit youths taking learn-to-row don't believe me any or more or less than they used to (I'm old, 62). They should've, and should (I'm a better rower than they are, and was coaching certified, among other credentials). Some of them believe other fit beginners about rowing technique before they believe me. SMH.

Edited: extra extra word word

It is interesting that your increased fitness actually reduced your credibility in certain instances, I would never have expected that...

Just as a clarification: By any objective measure, my fitness didn't change at all in any statistically significant way. RHR is the same; HR response to not-very-bodyweight-dependent exercise (spin, say) is about the same; rowing machine pace the same (though theoretically it should be slightly worse at lower bodyweight); weight I can lift about the same; etc. (Endurance is hard to tell, since I can't think of benchmarks I have before/after that aren't tainted by bodyweight. Shell goes faster/easier on water because I'm lighter, so duration I can go is unhelpful, for example).

Just my weight changed (to BMI around 21) and with reduced pudge, pre-existing muscle shows.

I didn't expect it either, though in retrospect the psychology of it makes sense.

And I'm quite certain that it's not my imagination or demeanor (e.g. self confidence) - part of my "evidence" of that last is what a visceral surprise it was to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If someone is fat, I assume it's an issue with how much they eat. I don't think a trainer is a good source for nutrition advice, so I don't really think being fat affects the trainer's ability. In fact, someone I "know" from MFP got into fitness and got hired by a gym and credentialed as a trainer, and from what I know about her history (she was into weight lifting before, I believe) and current situation (lost a lot of weight, not yet super fit looking, at least last I recall), and I think her experiences could make her especially inspiring for some people, and that might work for marketing.

That said, all the trainers at my health club are quite in shape looking, I assume the club probably pays attention to that and think it matters for marketing (whether they would admit it or not). I'd certainly hire some people who are overweight, though, based on knowledge.

If I wanted to make it as a trainer and came from a traditional background I'm sure I'd think that being in shape was important for marketing/employment even though I don't actually think it matters.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017

This also applies to other things as well. I'm fat, but I'll brag I know more about weight loss and its strategies than some nutritionists.

You may be very knowledgeable. But to be honest nutritionists are not regulated/require any formal training. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, so not really much of a brag.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm quite glad I lost muscle while losing weight.

I wouldn't like my look if I'd kept all the muscle I had when I was obese.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I was in the Army... it was mid January 1992 - Ft. Devens, MA. Cold cold cold snow and black ice everywhere. I was sitting in my barracks room thinking if I wanted to risk breaking something and taking a walk to the post Bowling Alley or maybe the Enlisted Club for some food. I was starving and I had missed dinner at the chow hall.

Then I remembered that my Grandma had sent me a a fruitcake for Christmas. It was still sitting in my wall locker, neatly wrapped in cellophane. Well, hunger won out and I took a nibble. Hmmm.... not so bad. Took a bite.... hey, not bad at all! I ate the entire thing. I don't know if it was just hunger or what, but it was delicious.

I haven't eaten one since. So, my current opinion might not be so generous. ;)

I went through training at Fort Devens in the winter also: 1983-84. 05H.
This discussion has been closed.