Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I'm not the PP, but seitan and tofu are both lowish in carbs. Edamame and black soybeans could also be added to the mix. Add some fats like avocado, nuts and seeds, and low-carb veggies.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about seitan, cos never tried it (at least knowingly), and now my body won't let me :'(

I can't eat it either, it's just one of those weird factoids I have stored up there in my noggin. And yeah, pea protein was a good shout. I hate the taste of it, but Beyond Meat makes some good meat subs with it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I think vegetarians are pushing their luck, and vegans are playing Russian roulette with their health.
    Also, anyone thinking of going vegan should be required to take a nutrition class.
    Anyone asking about a low carb vegan diet (I've seen that question asked on another thread) should be required to take a remedial nutrition class.
    Finally, anyone raising children and requiring them to be vegan needs to have social services called on them.

It's a little chilly in my house tonight. I'll go back to lurking and let the incoming flames keep me warm.

How so?

I'm vegetarian, have been for over 20 years. I'm pretty darn healthy. It's not difficult to meet your nutritional requirements being vegetarian or vegan, though yes, some research to ensure you're doing that is always a good idea (though a nutrition class is OTT). Pretty sure you can also be a low carb vegan safely.

You can also raise children as vegans quite safely, so long as you are aware of meeting nutritional needs, so no need to call social services just because you disagree with someone else's ethical beliefs.

Cats, on the other hand, should never, ever be made to be vegan. They are obligate carnivores. If you don't want to feed your cat meat, don't get one.

Yep. Vegetarian for 25 years and my health markers just keep on improving as the weight goes down. Oh and I feed feral cats. They've been getting grain-free from me from the get-go.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I'm not the PP, but seitan and tofu are both lowish in carbs. Edamame and black soybeans could also be added to the mix. Add some fats like avocado, nuts and seeds, and low-carb veggies.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about seitan, cos never tried it (at least knowingly), and now my body won't let me :'(

I can't eat it either, it's just one of those weird factoids I have stored up there in my noggin. And yeah, pea protein was a good shout. I hate the taste of it, but Beyond Meat makes some good meat subs with it.

My protein powder is pea isolate. It's awesome. Especially if you add dark choc peanut butter to the chocolate one.
    mph323 wrote: »
    One of my nieces is vegan and has been since she was a teenager. She runs marathons (as in two or three a month). Before children she and her husband (who is vegetarian because cheese) through-hiked the Pacific Crest trail from one end to the other. She's the healthiest one in our entire family.

Also vegetarian because cheese (well, all the dairy, actually). I was formerly all about the eggs as well, but that's another thing my body has decided to not let me eat, at least in any decent amount.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Fivepts wrote: »
    Some "food" is not.

Explain. Again, people can't debate with you if they don't know what you mean by that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Some "food" is not.

Agreed. It's a massive industry in Japan: https://fakefoodjapan.com/

Oh Japan how I doth love you so.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I think vegetarians are pushing their luck, and vegans are playing Russian roulette with their health.
    Also, anyone thinking of going vegan should be required to take a nutrition class.
    Anyone asking about a low carb vegan diet (I've seen that question asked on another thread) should be required to take a remedial nutrition class.
    Finally, anyone raising children and requiring them to be vegan needs to have social services called on them.

It's a little chilly in my house tonight. I'll go back to lurking and let the incoming flames keep me warm.

43 years of vegetarian near-roulette so far: At age 61, healthier & stronger than most of my age-mates, I'm feelin' pretty good about my future odds. :)

No flames, though. ;)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Some "food" is not.

Try taking a bite out of some wax fruit?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

43 years of vegetarian near-roulette so far: At age 61, healthier & stronger than most of my age-mates, I'm feelin' pretty good about my future odds. :)

No flames, though. ;)

not sure if the choice in foods aka being a vegetarian would be the main cause of the healthier you.

There are more omnivores that are your age that are as healthy if not healthier but it's not being touted that it has anything to do with their choice to eat meat.

Don't get me wrong...I have no issue with veganism or vegetarianism at all just wouldn't go as far to say they it's better.

None of us are saying it's better, we were disagreeing with the person who said we're pushing our luck. Ann used her own peer group as an illustration that long-term vegetarianism hasn't led to any dire health consequences for her.

I got that and didn't say anyone was saying they were saying they were better....

but the way it was phrased can be taken the way I did....that being a vegetarian has an advantage over omnivores as far as "health" .

No health advantage to vegetarianism IMO, and I've said so many times on "should I go veg" threads around here. This, despite studies that show an advantage - too darn many clean-livin' Seventh Day Adventists in those study populations. ;)

As someone may've said around here sometime, "not what I meant, just how you're reading it".

and even if it was meant that way who cares...?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

No flames, though. ;)

not sure if the choice in foods aka being a vegetarian would be the main cause of the healthier you.

There are more omnivores that are your age that are as healthy if not healthier but it's not being touted that it has anything to do with their choice to eat meat.

Don't get me wrong...I have no issue with veganism or vegetarianism at all just wouldn't go as far to say they it's better.

None of us are saying it's better, we were disagreeing with the person who said we're pushing our luck. Ann used her own peer group as an illustration that long-term vegetarianism hasn't led to any dire health consequences for her.

I got that and didn't say anyone was saying they were saying they were better....

but the way it was phrased can be taken the way I did....that being a vegetarian has an advantage over omnivores as far as "health" .

No health advantage to vegetarianism IMO, and I've said so many times on "should I go veg" threads around here. This, despite studies that show an advantage - too darn many clean-livin' Seventh Day Adventists in those study populations. ;)

As someone may've said around here sometime, "not what I meant, just how you're reading it".

and even if it was meant that way who cares...?

apparently me...as I was the one who made the comment that it didn't mean healthier...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    "woo"

LMAO...
This discussion has been closed.