Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Go figure. Unpopular opinions are exactly that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    haha. There is a lot of woo-ing going on, :lol:

giphy.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It perhaps will help to focus back on the comment that people were responding to.
    I think vegetarians are pushing their luck, and vegans are playing Russian roulette with their health.

Vegetarians and vegans were accused of eating unhealthfully, and "playing Russian roulette with their health," so of course that someone is really healthy eating that way is responsive, and does not suggest that omnivores are unhealthy (there are threads on MFP where people say such things, basically all threads on that silly recent movie with Michael Greger et al., but no one said that here).

I'd like to note that every regular veggie/vegan poster forum poster roundly derides that Greger movie and goes into the threads on it to argue against the nonsense it promotes.

Oh, I definitely know that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Go figure. Unpopular opinions are exactly that.

Of course, but people's responses were being misconstrued, so I wanted to clarify by showing what they were responding to/why they were posting. Not sure why you'd have a problem with that, but eh.

The poster clearly was intending to make a controversial statement, and said as much at the end of her post (I didn't quote the whole thing).
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Flexible dieting lol
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I think vegetarians are pushing their luck, and vegans are playing Russian roulette with their health.
    Also, anyone thinking of going vegan should be required to take a nutrition class.
    Anyone asking about a low carb vegan diet (I've seen that question asked on another thread) should be required to take a remedial nutrition class.
    Finally, anyone raising children and requiring them to be vegan needs to have social services called on them.

It's a little chilly in my house tonight. I'll go back to lurking and let the incoming flames keep me warm.

43 years of vegetarian near-roulette so far: At age 61, healthier & stronger than most of my age-mates, I'm feelin' pretty good about my future odds. :)

No flames, though. ;)

not sure if the choice in foods aka being a vegetarian would be the main cause of the healthier you.

There are more omnivores that are your age that are as healthy if not healthier but it's not being touted that it has anything to do with their choice to eat meat.

Don't get me wrong...I have no issue with veganism or vegetarianism at all just wouldn't go as far to say they it's better.

None of us are saying it's better, we were disagreeing with the person who said we're pushing our luck. Ann used her own peer group as an illustration that long-term vegetarianism hasn't led to any dire health consequences for her.

I got that and didn't say anyone was saying they were saying they were better....

but the way it was phrased can be taken the way I did....that being a vegetarian has an advantage over omnivores as far as "health" .

No health advantage to vegetarianism IMO, and I've said so many times on "should I go veg" threads around here. This, despite studies that show an advantage - too darn many clean-livin' Seventh Day Adventists in those study populations. ;)

As someone may've said around here sometime, "not what I meant, just how you're reading it".

and even if it was meant that way who cares...?

Well . . . I care whether what I write is perceived as I meant it. If it isn't, that's feedback that I've not communicated optimally. An opportunity for improvement, since communication is my goal. It takes two, but I only control one of them

I think most of the time far too much is read into what people write but of course I understand your point...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Also, anyone thinking of going vegan should be required to take a nutrition class.
    Anyone asking about a low carb vegan diet (I've seen that question asked on another thread) should be required to take a remedial nutrition class.
    Finally, anyone raising children and requiring them to be vegan needs to have social services called on them.

It's a little chilly in my house tonight. I'll go back to lurking and let the incoming flames keep me warm.

43 years of vegetarian near-roulette so far: At age 61, healthier & stronger than most of my age-mates, I'm feelin' pretty good about my future odds. :)

No flames, though. ;)

not sure if the choice in foods aka being a vegetarian would be the main cause of the healthier you.

There are more omnivores that are your age that are as healthy if not healthier but it's not being touted that it has anything to do with their choice to eat meat.

Don't get me wrong...I have no issue with veganism or vegetarianism at all just wouldn't go as far to say they it's better.

None of us are saying it's better, we were disagreeing with the person who said we're pushing our luck. Ann used her own peer group as an illustration that long-term vegetarianism hasn't led to any dire health consequences for her.

I got that and didn't say anyone was saying they were saying they were better....

but the way it was phrased can be taken the way I did....that being a vegetarian has an advantage over omnivores as far as "health" .

No health advantage to vegetarianism IMO, and I've said so many times on "should I go veg" threads around here. This, despite studies that show an advantage - too darn many clean-livin' Seventh Day Adventists in those study populations. ;)

As someone may've said around here sometime, "not what I meant, just how you're reading it".

and even if it was meant that way who cares...?

Well . . . I care whether what I write is perceived as I meant it. If it isn't, that's feedback that I've not communicated optimally. An opportunity for improvement, since communication is my goal. It takes two, but I only control one of them

I don't think you were trying to say you are better, but in a way your original statement did come across as you are healthier because of X (in this case X is vegetarian)

along with defending being a vegetarian is playing roulette (which I too agree is incorrect as far as choosing to be a vegetarian, no more so than omnivores are playing the same game)
    43 years of vegetarian near-roulette so far: At age 61, healthier & stronger than most of my age-mates I'm feelin' pretty good about my future odds. :)
    *including original quote I responded to in order to hopefully avoid an further cloudiness on what happened in this particular part...

ps I don't see an issue with being a vegetarian/vegan as far as health goes
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sheepingly wrote: »
    Flexible dieting lol

Does this mean that your unpopular opinion is thinking flexible dieting is amusing?

Or that you think flexible dieting is good and that will be an unpopular opinion, and that's amusing?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sheepingly wrote: »
    Flexible dieting lol

Does this mean that your unpopular opinion is thinking flexible dieting is amusing?

Or that you think flexible dieting is good and that will be an unpopular opinion, and that's amusing?

I was wondering the same.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Plants are what my food eats.
    :D
    ... except the fish...they eat smaller fish.
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.