Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I would rather walk for 2 hours than HIIT for 30 minutes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

IF, you could do HIIT for 30 minutes. Most can't, including me, and it's really recommended one doesn't. A typical program is 5 minute warm up, 5 intervals covering about 15 minutes, 5 minute cool down. If I did HIIT for 30 minutes, I'm sure I would be dead.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

IF, you could do HIIT for 30 minutes. Most can't, including me, and it's really recommended one doesn't. A typical program is 5 minute warm up, 5 intervals covering about 15 minutes, 5 minute cool down. If I did HIIT for 30 minutes, I'm sure I would be dead.

yeah, I would still rather walk for 2 hours than do that.

No argument from me on that! But it can be useful for a short number of weeks to increase VO2 max if you are looking to improve endurance performance. That is the best use of this protocol. Eg, soccer players, sprinters, MMA fighters and Boxers.

I've done it for short periods and likely will again when I want to improve my LISS performance. But it is not a protocol to be loved. It's main benefit besides VO2 max improvement is that it is time efficient for busy folks.
  • mmapags
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I always get a laugh out of it when people say something like they jogged to the park, did their 30-minute HIIT workout, then jogged back home. If what you did was actually HIIT, you wouldn't have been jogging back home afterward. :D

:p:D
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Right now my one and only concern is losing fat. Once I get to a healthy weight I will shift focus to increasing my athletic abilities once again. But until then, fat loss, and muscle maintenance as a result, is the only consideration.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Me too. Gasping for air and feeling like I'm about to fall over because my legs feel like jelly does not an enjoyable workout make, for me.

Opposite for me. Not being able to walk or lift my arms after a workout makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Sort of a twisted inspirational boost.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »

Me too. Gasping for air and feeling like I'm about to fall over because my legs feel like jelly does not an enjoyable workout make, for me.

Opposite for me. Not being able to walk or lift my arms after a workout makes me feel like I've accomplished something. Sort of a twisted inspirational boost.

My logic is a bit twisted, but being able to eat 600-800 calories more after a 60-90 minute easy pace run makes me feel like I accomplished something. I wouldn't be able to burn even 20% of that with HIIT.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »

My logic is a bit twisted, but being able to eat 600-800 calories more after a 60-90 minute easy pace run makes me feel like I accomplished something. I wouldn't be able to burn even 20% of that with HIIT.

I mostly just lift. Every set to failure. Running hurts my feet and gives me flashbacks to my childhood, being the fat kid and running 2 miles every morning to try to lose weight. Didn't work. My parents owned an Italian restaurant...
This discussion has been closed.