Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think it's weird how people default to the weighing as unhealthy and not the logging itself. I don't think either is unhealthy, but I do think GottaBurnEmAll has a point that it must be unfamiliarity with the scale as a common tool or, in some cases, with cooking. I find weighing is more convenient than cups and do it for many things when not logging (or counting calories), and used a scale for baking pre weight loss. (I actually had put it in the back of a closet after I stopped baking regularly and then when I decided to lose weight didn't use it and then much later decided to drag it out and found it made logging easier.)

For me, since I chop and so on when cooking, adding a step of placing a bowl on the scale and putting things in before tossing them in a pan is easy, almost not noticeable as extra work. Logging IS much more burdensome to me, but in part it's because it (or something similar and in my mind equally burdensome, like writing down everything I eat in a spreadsheet) makes me stay mindful when I want to not think about eating choices.

And whether I weigh, log, or use some other tool, the fact is that for me if I don't stay mindful, I start gaining weight and can easily slip back into emotional eating too.

I use this same approach. It was also part of how I worked as a chef. You want to be portioning correctly for consistency and cost control. Easy enough to transition to doing it at home.

This is interesting. I watch cooking shows on TV and you rarely see those chefs using any type of measurement and I don't think I've ever seen them use a scale.

What happens on a cooking show and what happens in a restaurant kitchen are 2 very different things. In a restaurant kitchen items are prepared following a recipe that reflects the standard plate cost for that item at a certain, say 4oz, portion. (I say 4oz because that is the most standard portion size for protein or veggies). Then when the items is plated for service, it is either already portioned and just put on a plate or put on the plate using a scoop, ladle or spoon that give the correct portion. But I can assure you, everything is measured or should be if they are a good operator.

The key factors on a restaurant are giving the guest a repeatable approximation of what they think they ordered and doing that at the cost projected on the item. On a cooking show, most of the portioning is done prior to airing and the prep is all done and there waiting when they reacch under the demo counter or into the fridge. They are also not wildly concerned with their food cost as that is now how they make their money.

Makes sense. But I like to cook more like Bobby Flay on TV than the chefs in his restaurant. ;)

Bobby Flay has prep people that do almost everything I described for him before he arrives on set to shoot. He just grabs and demos for the most part. They all do.

Not on all the shows. Beat Bobby Flay for example.

Beat Bobby Flay is the most misleading and disappointing show title ever.

I don't watch many cooking shows these days. Like this one, they are all gimmicked up and don't show good technique for the most part. I do like the Chef's Table series as it profiles really creative top end Chef's and shows their background and influences. I also used to really like anything by Jacques Pepin because he would do such a masterful job of demonstrating technique. He actually wrote the definitive modern book of cooking technique that is now out of print, La Technique'. You can still find it on line though. He isn't on TV much these days as he is elderly.

With rare exceptions, most of the Chefs on TV today are more personalities and entertainers than educators. I find most of the formats of the shows pretty useless.

I would agree with this in regards to technique, but I don't watch to learn technique. I watch for entertainment and to get new ideas of food combinations. I used to watch the Galloping Gourmet when I was just a little kid too short to even reach the stove.

Yup, that makes sense and I sometimes do the same thing. On many of them though I have trouble getting past whatever their gimmick is to sit through the show.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    I don't think weighing everything you eat is mentally healthy. A few hard to estimate and calorie dense items? sure. Everything for a few weeks to get a better sense of portion sizes? good idea. Weighing every single thing as a long term plan is neither sustainable nor mentally healthy.

Kitchen scales are only seen as unhealthy because Americans aren't used to equipping their kitchens with them. Other countries use them all the time.

I'm American and I've had a food scale for decades because it's sometimes important for measurements to be exact when preserving food. But that's the only time I drag it out because it's tedious to me.

I would never consider using it when cooking a meal. I rarely measure anything other than with my eyeballs when cooking. The only time I use cups is for grains and the liquid to cook them in and then it's often just a coffee mug.

I never cooked with one before I started losing weight (never cooked with measuring spoons and cups either). I was definitely more of a "by guess and by golly" cook who tasted a lot.

BAKING on the other hand . . . I started weighing my baking ingredients many years ago and was pleased with both the results and consistency. It was a pain to convert all of my old family recipes but worth it in the end. Great-Great Grandma's chocolate cake has never been better. The only exception is bread. I still do not measure or weigh because going by feel is still the best way to get a consistent loaf of bread.

Moving from weighing baking only to weighing everything was really easy for me to do since I was already used to the scale.

When I had children at home I baked more and did sometimes use measuring cups for baking. But I hate baking and now that it's just my husband and I, I rarely bake and even more rarely bake cakes. I can do cookies, pies and cobbler without measuring.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's similar to why I read cookbooks -- I get ideas and find them entertaining (depending on the book). I almost never follow a recipe, but I still love cookbooks.

I like some food shows (used to enjoy Alton Brown, still like Top Chef pretty well), but the rest have lost their appeal. I do have some old Julia Child shows on video which are fun.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think it's weird how people default to the weighing as unhealthy and not the logging itself. I don't think either is unhealthy, but I do think GottaBurnEmAll has a point that it must be unfamiliarity with the scale as a common tool or, in some cases, with cooking. I find weighing is more convenient than cups and do it for many things when not logging (or counting calories), and used a scale for baking pre weight loss. (I actually had put it in the back of a closet after I stopped baking regularly and then when I decided to lose weight didn't use it and then much later decided to drag it out and found it made logging easier.)

For me, since I chop and so on when cooking, adding a step of placing a bowl on the scale and putting things in before tossing them in a pan is easy, almost not noticeable as extra work. Logging IS much more burdensome to me, but in part it's because it (or something similar and in my mind equally burdensome, like writing down everything I eat in a spreadsheet) makes me stay mindful when I want to not think about eating choices.

And whether I weigh, log, or use some other tool, the fact is that for me if I don't stay mindful, I start gaining weight and can easily slip back into emotional eating too.

I use this same approach. It was also part of how I worked as a chef. You want to be portioning correctly for consistency and cost control. Easy enough to transition to doing it at home.

This is interesting. I watch cooking shows on TV and you rarely see those chefs using any type of measurement and I don't think I've ever seen them use a scale.

What happens on a cooking show and what happens in a restaurant kitchen are 2 very different things. In a restaurant kitchen items are prepared following a recipe that reflects the standard plate cost for that item at a certain, say 4oz, portion. (I say 4oz because that is the most standard portion size for protein or veggies). Then when the items is plated for service, it is either already portioned and just put on a plate or put on the plate using a scoop, ladle or spoon that give the correct portion. But I can assure you, everything is measured or should be if they are a good operator.

The key factors on a restaurant are giving the guest a repeatable approximation of what they think they ordered and doing that at the cost projected on the item. On a cooking show, most of the portioning is done prior to airing and the prep is all done and there waiting when they reacch under the demo counter or into the fridge. They are also not wildly concerned with their food cost as that is now how they make their money.

Makes sense. But I like to cook more like Bobby Flay on TV than the chefs in his restaurant. ;)

Bobby Flay has prep people that do almost everything I described for him before he arrives on set to shoot. He just grabs and demos for the most part. They all do.

I don't watch many cooking shows these days. Like this one, they are all gimmicked up and don't show good technique for the most part. I do like the Chef's Table series as it profiles really creative top end Chef's and shows their background and influences. I also used to really like anything by Jacques Pepin because he would do such a masterful job of demonstrating technique. He actually wrote the definitive modern book of cooking technique that is now out of print, La Technique'. You can still find it on line though. He isn't on TV much these days as he is elderly.

With rare exceptions, most of the Chefs on TV today are more personalities and entertainers than educators. I find most of the formats of the shows pretty useless.

I would rather cook than watch somebody do it. The only cooking shows I watched back when I had a TV were Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen. I would rather learn WHY I should be doing something rather than just be shown how to do it. The science behind things like using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar for some delicate cookies (the small amount of cornstarch in powdered sugar helps the texture) or why you should never boil eggs (cook them at just under boiling temp) are things I can use in many other aspects of my cooking and baking.

ETA: I have a fun book called "What Einstein Told His Cook" which covers many of these things.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm still a "by guess and by gosh" cook, except for what I think of as structural ingredients - things like getting a proper proportion of dry ingredients to liquids in quick bread, for example.

But it's easy to chop the visually "right" amount of onions, put the cutting board on the scale, tare, note, dump in skillet, note grams on junk-mail envelope to log later against 100g database entry. Seconds, and it helps me balance the calorie checkbook.

I feel sooo much better as thin Ann. A few minutes a day to avoid going back to fat Ann? Worthwhile investment. If that makes me mentally unhealthy, I'll take it as as cheap price for what's gained.

Thing is, it doesn't make me mentally unhealthy. Those whose personalities incline them to obsession or compulsion should exercise caution. I don't trend that way. I don't even balance my money checkbook - my bank's computer is much better than I am at arithmetic. I just closely watch what things clear, online. It's all just data, and data management strategies.

I think a lot of people implicitly believe - way down in their guts, unquestioned - that others' brains/minds work just like theirs does; those who say otherwise must then be self-deluding, or lying.

Ain't so.

100% agree with that last part. Mostly because I 100% disagree with the bolded part (for me). ::laugh::

Edit: Opened my first checking account 37 years ago. I have never once balanced my checkbook.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I would agree with this in regards to technique, but I don't watch to learn technique. I watch for entertainment and to get new ideas of food combinations. I used to watch the Galloping Gourmet when I was just a little kid too short to even reach the stove.

Yup, that makes sense and I sometimes do the same thing. On many of them though I have trouble getting past whatever their gimmick is to sit through the show.

Do you ever watch The Mind of a Chef on PBS? It really takes a deep look into an individual chef's (David Chang, Ludo Lefebvre, etc.) philosophy over the course of the season. I find it to be completely entrancing. With their deepest ideas and feelings condensed into just a few beautifully-filmed-and-produced episodes, it is kind of an amuse-bouche for your eyes and mind.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Do you ever watch The Mind of a Chef on PBS? It really takes a deep look into an individual chef's (David Chang, Ludo Lefebvre, etc.) philosophy over the course of the season. I find it to be completely entrancing. With their deepest ideas and feelings condensed into just a few beautifully-filmed-and-produced episodes, it is kind of an amuse-bouche for your eyes and mind.

No! Thanks for the tip!! That is what I like about Chef's Table on Netflix. Same type of thing. Have you seen that?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I would rather cook than watch somebody do it. The only cooking shows I watched back when I had a TV were Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen. I would rather learn WHY I should be doing something rather than just be shown how to do it. The science behind things like using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar for some delicate cookies (the small amount of cornstarch in powdered sugar helps the texture) or why you should never boil eggs (cook them at just under boiling temp) are things I can use in many other aspects of my cooking and baking.

ETA: I have a fun book called "What Einstein Told His Cook" which covers many of these things.

Did you happen to catch Alton Brown's show in Milwaukee earlier this year? He's on a new tour "Eat Your Science" and it is fantastic. We took the kids and they loved it.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

No! Thanks for the tip!! That is what I like about Chef's Table on Netflix. Same type of thing. Have you seen that?

I think my husband has been watching episodes but I haven't (I have hardly any time to watch TV in any season involving gardening or harvesting). I see Magnus Nilsson is featured in Season 1, so I will have to watch that...I am obsessed by the Faviken book. I also really like Dan Barber and Stone Barns.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think my husband has been watching episodes but I haven't (I have hardly any time to watch TV in any season involving gardening or harvesting). I see Magnus Nilsson is featured in Season 1, so I will have to watch that...I am obsessed by the Faviken book. I also really like Dan Barber and Stone Barns.

I recently read "The Third Plate: Notes on the Future of Food" by Dan Barber and I enjoyed it a great deal. In addition to knowing a lot about food, he's a good writer.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

I've seen it quite frequently. Good Eats immediately comes to mind; so does just about any European cook.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

I recently read "The Third Plate: Notes on the Future of Food" by Dan Barber and I enjoyed it a great deal. In addition to knowing a lot about food, he's a good writer.

I haven't read it yet--but at least now I've put it in my Amazon basket. Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm still a "by guess and by gosh" cook, except for what I think of as structural ingredients - things like getting a proper proportion of dry ingredients to liquids in quick bread, for example.

But it's easy to chop the visually "right" amount of onions, put the cutting board on the scale, tare, note, dump in skillet, note grams on junk-mail envelope to log later against 100g database entry. Seconds, and it helps me balance the calorie checkbook.

Hahaha i thought i was the only one using my mail envelopes

It's what I always did, and still do if I happen to log for a bit!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Did you happen to catch Alton Brown's show in Milwaukee earlier this year? He's on a new tour "Eat Your Science" and it is fantastic. We took the kids and they loved it.

No. I really wanted to go but had a family thing that same day.
This discussion has been closed.