Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think it's weird how people default to the weighing as unhealthy and not the logging itself. I don't think either is unhealthy, but I do think GottaBurnEmAll has a point that it must be unfamiliarity with the scale as a common tool or, in some cases, with cooking. I find weighing is more convenient than cups and do it for many things when not logging (or counting calories), and used a scale for baking pre weight loss. (I actually had put it in the back of a closet after I stopped baking regularly and then when I decided to lose weight didn't use it and then much later decided to drag it out and found it made logging easier.)

For me, since I chop and so on when cooking, adding a step of placing a bowl on the scale and putting things in before tossing them in a pan is easy, almost not noticeable as extra work. Logging IS much more burdensome to me, but in part it's because it (or something similar and in my mind equally burdensome, like writing down everything I eat in a spreadsheet) makes me stay mindful when I want to not think about eating choices.

And whether I weigh, log, or use some other tool, the fact is that for me if I don't stay mindful, I start gaining weight and can easily slip back into emotional eating too.

I use this same approach. It was also part of how I worked as a chef. You want to be portioning correctly for consistency and cost control. Easy enough to transition to doing it at home.

This is interesting. I watch cooking shows on TV and you rarely see those chefs using any type of measurement and I don't think I've ever seen them use a scale.

I've seen it quite frequently. Good Eats immediately comes to mind; so does just about any European cook.

Never watched Good Eats but I have seen several European chef hosted shows (US shows hosted by Europeans) and while they usually give ingredients in grams I've never seen one weigh anything. They also eyeball it on the shows.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird how people default to the weighing as unhealthy and not the logging itself. I don't think either is unhealthy, but I do think GottaBurnEmAll has a point that it must be unfamiliarity with the scale as a common tool or, in some cases, with cooking. I find weighing is more convenient than cups and do it for many things when not logging (or counting calories), and used a scale for baking pre weight loss. (I actually had put it in the back of a closet after I stopped baking regularly and then when I decided to lose weight didn't use it and then much later decided to drag it out and found it made logging easier.)

For me, since I chop and so on when cooking, adding a step of placing a bowl on the scale and putting things in before tossing them in a pan is easy, almost not noticeable as extra work. Logging IS much more burdensome to me, but in part it's because it (or something similar and in my mind equally burdensome, like writing down everything I eat in a spreadsheet) makes me stay mindful when I want to not think about eating choices.

And whether I weigh, log, or use some other tool, the fact is that for me if I don't stay mindful, I start gaining weight and can easily slip back into emotional eating too.

I use this same approach. It was also part of how I worked as a chef. You want to be portioning correctly for consistency and cost control. Easy enough to transition to doing it at home.

This is interesting. I watch cooking shows on TV and you rarely see those chefs using any type of measurement and I don't think I've ever seen them use a scale.

I've seen it quite frequently. Good Eats immediately comes to mind; so does just about any European cook.

Never watched Good Eats but I have seen several European chef hosted shows (US shows hosted by Europeans) and while they usually give ingredients in grams I've never seen one weigh anything. They also eyeball it on the shows.

If you've never seen Good Eats you've definitely got to give it a watch. Imagine Julia Child meets Mr. Wizard meets Monty Python (and that's Alton Brown's description of the show).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

That's because it is all pre-weighed off camera. If the recipe ingredients are given in weights, be assured that the chef/host cooks by weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

That's because it is all pre-weighed off camera. If the recipe ingredients are given in weights, be assured that the chef/host cooks by weight.

For the most part true. Also, a highly experienced Chef can guesstimate things within a small % variance. Again, that should rarely happen in a restaurant kitchen by most line folks. Only the senior folks, like the Sous are trusted with this. And even then, they will check themselves occasionally.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If you've never seen Good Eats you've definitely got to give it a watch. Imagine Julia Child meets Mr. Wizard meets Monty Python (and that's Alton Brown's description of the show).

I'm not a big fan Alton Brown. He's kind of annoying.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So even when they chop it on camera and throw it in a pot you think they are using camera tricks to weigh it off camera?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So even when they chop it on camera and throw it in a pot you think they are using camera tricks to weigh it off camera?

Nope, see my post above. Also, as I stated earlier in the thread, they are less concerned on a cooking show than in a restaurant because they are not trying to hit a targeted food cost. It's a TV show! It's entertainment. If not being cut on camera, haven't you ever seen them reach under and pull out the pre-measured item?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Nope, see my post above. Also, as I stated earlier in the thread, they are less concerned on a cooking show than in a restaurant because they are not trying to hit a targeted food cost. It's a TV show! It's entertainment. If not being cut on camera, haven't you ever seen them reach under and pull out the pre-measured item?

Oh sure. And some shows they even have little bowl with everything measured and chopped. Emeril does that a lot.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Anyone watch The Great British Baking Show? It is on PBS in the USA.

It is a drooling watch if you have a sweet tooth like me, but they use digital scales in they show.

Personally, being from the UK originally, I never got the hang of cups for measuring, and found USA cook books baffling.
    For as long as I can remember I have had a good old, heavy, Salter balance scale on my counter top. It was a natural thing to use it to weigh my food when I was losing, I did invest in metric weights to complement the imperial that I had always used.
    It wasn't until I was in maintenance that I got a digital scale. Still prefer my salter though.

Cheers, h.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It is a drooling watch if you have a sweet tooth like me, but they use digital scales in they show.

Personally, being from the UK originally, I never got the hang of cups for measuring, and found USA cook books baffling.
    For as long as I can remember I have had a good old, heavy, Salter balance scale on my counter top. It was a natural thing to use it to weigh my food when I was losing, I did invest in metric weights to complement the imperial that I had always used.
    It wasn't until I was in maintenance that I got a digital scale. Still prefer my salter though.

Cheers, h.

love this show, but haven't watched the most recent season - i think the backseasons are on Netflix
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Oooh, I love this show! My husband and 11 year old daughter have been watching it on Netflix, and I will catch an episode here and there when I can (although normally I am off doing things like last night, canning a huge glut of tomatoes and lifting weights in the kitchen...at the same time...you do what you gotta do, but it should be an Olympic sport).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Nope. You are talking cooking where ingredients frequently do not get weighed. Baking is a completely different story and everything gets weighed on the shows, just off camera. When the host dumps flour from a bag, it is just for show. No camera tricks needed, they have several of the same dish in varying steps of completion and just take out the one that pertains to the steps they are currently talking about.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A lot of food they cook on TV doesn't actually taste good. It's done for show. Cos... show.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The American baking contest shows I watch also show participants weighing their dry goods. If they skip that step, many results aren't great and in the confessional part of the program the cooks acknowledge that it was their mistake.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Nope. You are talking cooking where ingredients frequently do not get weighed. Baking is a completely different story and everything gets weighed on the shows, just off camera. When the host dumps flour from a bag, it is just for show. No camera tricks needed, they have several of the same dish in varying steps of completion and just take out the one that pertains to the steps they are currently talking about.

Oh I never watch baking shows.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

The thing with cooking savoury meals is you often don't need to measure and weigh ingredients. If I'm not counting calories, I cook almost completely by feel. It generally means I never make the same meal the same way twice, but they always taste good. It's just years of experience, both personal and professional, where I know what works and what doesn't. But weighing and measuring, when I am calorie counting, adds very little time and trouble and the thing is, I still cook by feel - I weigh the amount that I would put in anyway, rather than putting in a specific amount by weight, if that makes sense.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The thing with cooking savoury meals is you often don't need to measure and weigh ingredients. If I'm not counting calories, I cook almost completely by feel. It generally means I never make the same meal the same way twice, but they always taste good. It's just years of experience, both personal and professional, where I know what works and what doesn't. But weighing and measuring, when I am calorie counting, adds very little time and trouble and the thing is, I still cook by feel - I weigh the amount that I would put in anyway, rather than putting in a specific amount by weight, if that makes sense.

I'm sure it all makes sense to/for you. But my experience with weighing ingredients was different. I realize "very little time" is a subjective phrase but it felt time consuming to me to weigh ingredients. But more than the time it was annoying. It sucked the fun out of cooking for me, and cooking is a great source of pleasure for me. Honestly, I would rather have stayed overweight than weighed ingredients when cooking.
This discussion has been closed.