Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

1203204206208209358

Replies

  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I tried to read about Paleo, to see what the hype was.. I'm always looking to incorporate any kind of new healthy ways of eating. I couldn't get past the first couple of paragraphs where it listed what to restrict. Sorry, no thanks.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 864 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    My UO: fad diets are helpful because at a minimum they make people be more aware of their food and conscious about what they put in their bodies. The human body is massively adaptable, if you feed it a steady Paleo, South Beach, Vegan, Keto, or whatever diet it'll adapt to use it most efficiently. People don't pay enough attention to what they eat, so I'm not giving anybody *kitten* for paying attention, even if their ideas about why are total hokum.

    I think it's more about the sustainability of those diets that causes the issue rather than the awareness. People know when they are fat. For many reasons, people can't stick to them. So they rebound on their weight and are back to square one and lost time. They wouldn't be so successful if they actually worked, therefore they don't help anyone because if they did we'd all be at a healthy weight.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    My UO: fad diets are helpful because at a minimum they make people be more aware of their food and conscious about what they put in their bodies. The human body is massively adaptable, if you feed it a steady Paleo, South Beach, Vegan, Keto, or whatever diet it'll adapt to use it most efficiently. People don't pay enough attention to what they eat, so I'm not giving anybody *kitten* for paying attention, even if their ideas about why are total hokum.

    I think it's more about the sustainability of those diets that causes the issue rather than the awareness. People know when they are fat. For many reasons, people can't stick to them. So they rebound on their weight and are back to square one and lost time. They wouldn't be so successful if they actually worked, therefore they don't help anyone because if they did we'd all be at a healthy weight.

    I attribute failure more to people just being weak willed. I think it's silly to believe somebody who can't follow diet that tells them exactly what to eat and when would somehow how more success just being told "eat fewer calories." Maybe a minority of them can, but there's always a minority that can achieve something the majority can't.

    Most people who need to lose weight, like me, got into that situation because our natural food decisions are incredibly poor.

    Structure is important. But maybe I just believe that because I was in the military, like everybody else in my family for the last 300 years.

    But that's the thing...those diets tell people what they can and cannot eat, and most people cannot adhere to that. CICO has nothing to do with WHAT you eat, just how much.
    I find it easier to say "oh yes I can have a cookie, but just one" much more sustainable than "NO cookie, ever"

    How about "have as many cookies as you want, just fast 23 hours after you eat"? I eat one meal till I'm stuffed. Don't really stick to counting calories, although I do log, but I can't eat over 1900 calories in one sitting. I eat as much as I want, including cookies or cake or whatever. I just fast for the next 23 hours.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 864 Member
    kokonani wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    My UO: fad diets are helpful because at a minimum they make people be more aware of their food and conscious about what they put in their bodies. The human body is massively adaptable, if you feed it a steady Paleo, South Beach, Vegan, Keto, or whatever diet it'll adapt to use it most efficiently. People don't pay enough attention to what they eat, so I'm not giving anybody *kitten* for paying attention, even if their ideas about why are total hokum.

    I think it's more about the sustainability of those diets that causes the issue rather than the awareness. People know when they are fat. For many reasons, people can't stick to them. So they rebound on their weight and are back to square one and lost time. They wouldn't be so successful if they actually worked, therefore they don't help anyone because if they did we'd all be at a healthy weight.

    I attribute failure more to people just being weak willed. I think it's silly to believe somebody who can't follow diet that tells them exactly what to eat and when would somehow how more success just being told "eat fewer calories." Maybe a minority of them can, but there's always a minority that can achieve something the majority can't.

    Most people who need to lose weight, like me, got into that situation because our natural food decisions are incredibly poor.

    Structure is important. But maybe I just believe that because I was in the military, like everybody else in my family for the last 300 years.

    But that's the thing...those diets tell people what they can and cannot eat, and most people cannot adhere to that. CICO has nothing to do with WHAT you eat, just how much.
    I find it easier to say "oh yes I can have a cookie, but just one" much more sustainable than "NO cookie, ever"

    How about "have as many cookies as you want, just fast 23 hours after you eat"? I eat one meal till I'm stuffed. Don't really stick to counting calories, although I do log, but I can't eat over 1900 calories in one sitting. I eat as much as I want, including cookies or cake or whatever. I just fast for the next 23 hours.

    Sure you can do that. I have done that.
    My point is that fad diets don't work ever. People should be able to eat whatever they want and just stick to a calorie goal, whether it's one cookie or 100 cookies. Fad diets don't do anything except divert you from the real problem and waste your money and time.
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    I can eat well over 1900 calories in a sitting if it is the wrong type of food.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,270 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    My UO: fad diets are helpful because at a minimum they make people be more aware of their food and conscious about what they put in their bodies. The human body is massively adaptable, if you feed it a steady Paleo, South Beach, Vegan, Keto, or whatever diet it'll adapt to use it most efficiently. People don't pay enough attention to what they eat, so I'm not giving anybody *kitten* for paying attention, even if their ideas about why are total hokum.

    I think it's more about the sustainability of those diets that causes the issue rather than the awareness. People know when they are fat. For many reasons, people can't stick to them. So they rebound on their weight and are back to square one and lost time. They wouldn't be so successful if they actually worked, therefore they don't help anyone because if they did we'd all be at a healthy weight.

    I attribute failure more to people just being weak willed. I think it's silly to believe somebody who can't follow diet that tells them exactly what to eat and when would somehow how more success just being told "eat fewer calories." Maybe a minority of them can, but there's always a minority that can achieve something the majority can't.

    Most people who need to lose weight, like me, got into that situation because our natural food decisions are incredibly poor.

    Structure is important. But maybe I just believe that because I was in the military, like everybody else in my family for the last 300 years.

    trust me the one thing I am not is "weak willed"...I yoyo'd 25lbs+ for 15 years because of "diets"

    following a diet is one thing but what about once you are done losing what then? you gain it back...rinse repeat...

    once I got it "eat fewer calories" which means log and count calories I haven't regained in over 4 years...

    Most people lack education that's why they got fat...call it natural food selection but it comes down to not knowing that to maintain weight you need CI=CO..I mean come on people come on the forums and say

    "what is this CICO diet I've never ehard of it...how does it work, what can I eat..etc'


    hold on, what? So once you get to a goal weight you just go right back to eating the same way you were before you started losing? How exactly is that the "fad" diet's fault? I dont' think any of these diets are designed to be "lose weight and stop" plans. They're supposed to be long-term lifestyle changes. If you stop paying attention to what you eat because you get to a healthy weight, yeah, I would say that's a willpower problem.

    that's the point...of lack of education. Eating types of foods is not the reason people gain weight it's the amount so any of these fad diets don't teach you how to maintain weight...none of them...that's the fault of the "fad diet"

    If they aren't designed to Lose then stop then how come they don't teach about calories etc instead they say "carbs are bad don't eat them"

    The 17day diet is not a lifestyle thing...I did it...you follow it for 17 days...then phase 2 add in starches...phase 3 extra stuff added and more exercise then in phase 4 it says "eat reasonable portions"...okay so what is that?

    for me it could be 500 calories...for you it might 250...education.

    So again it's not what you eat it's how much you eat and that is the issue

    and for you to call people weak willed because they can't follow a fad diet and maintain it afterwards shows your lack of understanding about what it takes to maintain as well...

    see education is key
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    robm1brown wrote: »
    I can eat well over 1900 calories in a sitting if it is the wrong type of food.

    Hey for some people trying to bulk on heavy cals that would be all kinds of right ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    robm1brown wrote: »
    I can eat well over 1900 calories in a sitting...

    I could too.
This discussion has been closed.