Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I put a mixing bowl on my scale and tare the weight. Then i record all my ingredients as I add them, tareing after each one.

Ditto. Too easy.

Maybe that's the problem. It was too easy. I only like things that are exactly easy enough. :p

Not true. You're a contrarian and that's hard in this life. :wink:

True, though I was obviously just being silly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Speziface wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think it's weird how people default to the weighing as unhealthy and not the logging itself. I don't think either is unhealthy, but I do think GottaBurnEmAll has a point that it must be unfamiliarity with the scale as a common tool or, in some cases, with cooking. I find weighing is more convenient than cups and do it for many things when not logging (or counting calories), and used a scale for baking pre weight loss. (I actually had put it in the back of a closet after I stopped baking regularly and then when I decided to lose weight didn't use it and then much later decided to drag it out and found it made logging easier.)

For me, since I chop and so on when cooking, adding a step of placing a bowl on the scale and putting things in before tossing them in a pan is easy, almost not noticeable as extra work. Logging IS much more burdensome to me, but in part it's because it (or something similar and in my mind equally burdensome, like writing down everything I eat in a spreadsheet) makes me stay mindful when I want to not think about eating choices.

And whether I weigh, log, or use some other tool, the fact is that for me if I don't stay mindful, I start gaining weight and can easily slip back into emotional eating too.

I use this same approach. It was also part of how I worked as a chef. You want to be portioning correctly for consistency and cost control. Easy enough to transition to doing it at home.

This is interesting. I watch cooking shows on TV and you rarely see those chefs using any type of measurement and I don't think I've ever seen them use a scale.

I've seen it quite frequently. Good Eats immediately comes to mind; so does just about any European cook.

Never watched Good Eats but I have seen several European chef hosted shows (US shows hosted by Europeans) and while they usually give ingredients in grams I've never seen one weigh anything. They also eyeball it on the shows.

That's because it is all pre-weighed off camera. If the recipe ingredients are given in weights, be assured that the chef/host cooks by weight.

So even when they chop it on camera and throw it in a pot you think they are using camera tricks to weigh it off camera?

Nope. You are talking cooking where ingredients frequently do not get weighed. Baking is a completely different story and everything gets weighed on the shows, just off camera. When the host dumps flour from a bag, it is just for show. No camera tricks needed, they have several of the same dish in varying steps of completion and just take out the one that pertains to the steps they are currently talking about.

Oh I never watch baking shows.

The thing with cooking savoury meals is you often don't need to measure and weigh ingredients. If I'm not counting calories, I cook almost completely by feel. It generally means I never make the same meal the same way twice, but they always taste good. It's just years of experience, both personal and professional, where I know what works and what doesn't. But weighing and measuring, when I am calorie counting, adds very little time and trouble and the thing is, I still cook by feel - I weigh the amount that I would put in anyway, rather than putting in a specific amount by weight, if that makes sense.

I'm sure it all makes sense to/for you. But my experience with weighing ingredients was different. I realize "very little time" is a subjective phrase but it felt time consuming to me to weigh ingredients. But more than the time it was annoying. It sucked the fun out of cooking for me, and cooking is a great source of pleasure for me. Honestly, I would rather have stayed overweight than weighed ingredients when cooking.

I don't see why any of us "weigh everything" scale fans want to convert you. If you're happier not weighing things, and you're able to be successful (at your goals, be they weight management, nutrition, or whatever), then I think that's great.

I do, however, want to argue with these ideas, if presented ( you didn't present them), because I think they're inaccurate
    • Weighing food is inherently somehow psychologically dysfunctional.
    • If people do weigh food, it 'should' only be temporary.
    • Weighing food is more time-consuming than cups and spoons.
    • Weighing food is inherently and objectively quite time consuming - by implication, enough so that it's a bad use of anyone's time.
    • That people who aren't weighing food but "can't lose even though they're only eating 1200" (or some such) are being misled if scale-lovers like me advise them to start weighing food as a way to establish a more accurate calorie estimate.
    • Weighing food produces exact or near exact calorie figures.
    • To be successful, one must weigh every bite, including at friends'/relatives' homes and restaurants (or not go/eat there)
    • Everyone interested in weight management must weigh food, temporarily if not permanently.

Counterfactual evangelizing and overgeneralizing from personal experience are examples of flawed reasoning.

And some people who "can't lose weight" but won't even try weighing food because it's obsessive or too time-consuming . . . they're sometimes just constructing themselves a handy excuse to quit trying.

I agree 100% with every word of this.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion is that no matter how many miles you log over the years jogging, you will never get faster unless you do specific work to improve your pace - either with a coach or a set program. I have been a jogger since college which is a LOT of years. Believe me. And in spite of many miles logged (at one point up to a long 9 mile run weekly) I never really improved my pace that I could tell.

As a runner, I slightly disagree. My opinion is that most people that say they are trying to get faster actually aren't. They're trying to take a pace they can handle, even if only for a short time, and sustain that speed for a longer distance. That's about stamina, legs getting less sorry, losing weight so less effort required. But not pure speed work.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    -I think keto/paleo/etc. are unsustainable fad diets.

-You're not going to keel over if you enjoy fast food responsibly.

-Ditto with pop/soda (diet and regular).

-There are good carbs and bad carbs, good fats and bad fats.

-Treat is treat, regardless of keto/paleo/low-fat/sugar-free/etc, some are just "less bad" than others. Halo Top is still ice cream ;)

-Protein shakes and snacks (soy or whey based) are pointless and a waste of money. Not even my friend who lifts competitively will touch the stuff, her protein for building and maintaining muscle mass and strength comes from actual food.

-Also, fruit smoothies are not as healthy as actually eating a piece of fruit.

-You only need vitamins if you are truly deficient; if you eat a healthy balanced diet and have no medical conditions, you'll get all your body needs.

-Slow metabolism? Then boost it naturally with good food, good sleep, and good exercise. (Certain medical conditions are different.)

-Drink water when you're thirsty.

-I have trust issues with anyone who says a fruit or vegetable is "bad" (potatoes, carrots, bananas, seriously???).

Whew! Glad to get this all off my chest :D

Total horse excrement.
    I can maintain keto for months at a time (once I get past the induction, which is a little rough) and never get hungry or even getting carb cravings.
    I usually do about 3 months in the spring to shake off the "comfort food, holiday treats, and alcohol induced fat that I build up in winter (never shirtless so why not LOL)
    CICO is definitely at least partially bunk because I eat the same 3300ish calories on or off keto and my workout regimen doesn't change much either but I drop 2 or 3 percent fat (I get a Dexa regularly) in that 3 months.
    Through summer I live mostly IIFYM, because my regular activity level is a little higher... walking, swimming, biking... And when the fall kicks in and my shirt goes back on regularly I eat a little cleaner until around Christmas... Then I definitely allow myself to enjoy all the holidays offer.

Offer yourself to science then.

Strictly speaking, CICO is not about the numbers on a DEXA report (body composition), just the number on the bathroom scale (total weight, excluding water weight variation).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    How is it annoying exactly? Seriously. You're just putting it on something else instead of on the table. You can even put your chopping board on top of the scale, making it have literally no extra effort than if you weren't doing it.

My entire kitchen island top is a butcher block cutting board. Putting it on a scale would be a little tough. It's annoying and that's enough for me. I don't log my food or count calories so why exactly would I want to weigh ingredients anyway?

LOL If someone doesn't log food or count calories but is an active user of MFP isn't that kinda' like someone happily married using Tinder to "window shop"? ;-P

IDK Is Tinder a dating site?

I joined to the whole thing. I weighed and logged for a few weeks. But it just wasn't for me. I just come for the forums now. And reading through the forums there are quite a few people on here that don't weigh or log.

Try Googling it. It's reputation is more of hook-up site vs "dating" site where people are looking for a "soul mate"
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird how people default to the weighing as unhealthy and not the logging itself. I don't think either is unhealthy, but I do think GottaBurnEmAll has a point that it must be unfamiliarity with the scale as a common tool or, in some cases, with cooking. I find weighing is more convenient than cups and do it for many things when not logging (or counting calories), and used a scale for baking pre weight loss. (I actually had put it in the back of a closet after I stopped baking regularly and then when I decided to lose weight didn't use it and then much later decided to drag it out and found it made logging easier.)

For me, since I chop and so on when cooking, adding a step of placing a bowl on the scale and putting things in before tossing them in a pan is easy, almost not noticeable as extra work. Logging IS much more burdensome to me, but in part it's because it (or something similar and in my mind equally burdensome, like writing down everything I eat in a spreadsheet) makes me stay mindful when I want to not think about eating choices.

And whether I weigh, log, or use some other tool, the fact is that for me if I don't stay mindful, I start gaining weight and can easily slip back into emotional eating too.

I use this same approach. It was also part of how I worked as a chef. You want to be portioning correctly for consistency and cost control. Easy enough to transition to doing it at home.

This is interesting. I watch cooking shows on TV and you rarely see those chefs using any type of measurement and I don't think I've ever seen them use a scale.

I've seen it quite frequently. Good Eats immediately comes to mind; so does just about any European cook.

Never watched Good Eats but I have seen several European chef hosted shows (US shows hosted by Europeans) and while they usually give ingredients in grams I've never seen one weigh anything. They also eyeball it on the shows.

That's because it is all pre-weighed off camera. If the recipe ingredients are given in weights, be assured that the chef/host cooks by weight.

So even when they chop it on camera and throw it in a pot you think they are using camera tricks to weigh it off camera?

Nope. You are talking cooking where ingredients frequently do not get weighed. Baking is a completely different story and everything gets weighed on the shows, just off camera. When the host dumps flour from a bag, it is just for show. No camera tricks needed, they have several of the same dish in varying steps of completion and just take out the one that pertains to the steps they are currently talking about.

The thing with cooking savoury meals is you often don't need to measure and weigh ingredients. If I'm not counting calories, I cook almost completely by feel. It generally means I never make the same meal the same way twice, but they always taste good. It's just years of experience, both personal and professional, where I know what works and what doesn't. But weighing and measuring, when I am calorie counting, adds very little time and trouble and the thing is, I still cook by feel - I weigh the amount that I would put in anyway, rather than putting in a specific amount by weight, if that makes sense.

I'm sure it all makes sense to/for you. But my experience with weighing ingredients was different. I realize "very little time" is a subjective phrase but it felt time consuming to me to weigh ingredients. But more than the time it was annoying. It sucked the fun out of cooking for me, and cooking is a great source of pleasure for me. Honestly, I would rather have stayed overweight than weighed ingredients when cooking.

I don't see why any of us "weigh everything" scale fans want to convert you. If you're happier not weighing things, and you're able to be successful (at your goals, be they weight management, nutrition, or whatever), then I think that's great.

I do, however, want to argue with these ideas, if presented ( you didn't present them), because I think they're inaccurate
    • Weighing food is inherently and objectively quite time consuming - by implication, enough so that it's a bad use of anyone's time.
    • That people who aren't weighing food but "can't lose even though they're only eating 1200" (or some such) are being misled if scale-lovers like me advise them to start weighing food as a way to establish a more accurate calorie estimate.
    • To be successful, one must weigh every bite, including at friends'/relatives' homes and restaurants (or not go/eat there)
    • Everyone interested in weight management must weigh food, temporarily if not permanently.

Counterfactual evangelizing and overgeneralizing from personal experience are examples of flawed reasoning.

And some people who "can't lose weight" but won't even try weighing food because it's obsessive or too time-consuming . . . they're sometimes just constructing themselves a handy excuse to quit trying.

All of this.

And because I AM neurotic in some ways, I feel compelled to say, since Need2 said "I feel now that I want to know why everyone is so annoyed by my annoyance as much as they want to know why I'm annoyed," that I quite specifically and directly said that I was not annoyed by Need2's thinking that for her weighing is burdensome. I am only annoyed by those who insist that everyone must find weighing burdensome (more so than measuring in other ways).

I am interested in a non-annoyed way in WHY it seems burdensome to put things on the scale and am wondering if there is an assumption that we must trying to hit certain targets or cooking to a recipe, but I also realize it might just be one of those people are different and you can't explain it kind of things.

I find it a chore because there's no point in JUST putting it on the scale. It's that PLUS measuring it PLUS writing it down PLUS finding an accurate entry in the database PLUS entering it in the diary. For every ingredient. I'm a lazy cook. I don't bake, so I don't have to measure. When I cook, most of the ingredients can go from the container directly into the cooking dish, which also saves on washing up.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I find it a chore because there's no point in JUST putting it on the scale. It's that PLUS measuring it PLUS writing it down PLUS finding an accurate entry in the database PLUS entering it in the diary. For every ingredient. I'm a lazy cook. I don't bake, so I don't have to measure. When I cook, most of the ingredients can go from the container directly into the cooking dish, which also saves on washing up.

I find once I've written it down for a few weeks, I don't specifically need to doccument because I know what I'm trying to do. But I'm still rubbish at estimating.. say 50g of cheese on top of a dish. So the scales keep me honest with my own portion control.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

All of this.

And because I AM neurotic in some ways, I feel compelled to say, since Need2 said "I feel now that I want to know why everyone is so annoyed by my annoyance as much as they want to know why I'm annoyed," that I quite specifically and directly said that I was not annoyed by Need2's thinking that for her weighing is burdensome. I am only annoyed by those who insist that everyone must find weighing burdensome (more so than measuring in other ways).

I am interested in a non-annoyed way in WHY it seems burdensome to put things on the scale and am wondering if there is an assumption that we must trying to hit certain targets or cooking to a recipe, but I also realize it might just be one of those people are different and you can't explain it kind of things.

To be clear, I totally get why logging seems burdensome sometimes. I find it burdensome sometimes too, and generally don't do it at maintenance for that reason. It's the people who seem to think estimating or measuring with cups is less burdensome than weighing (and weighing therefore is neurotic) that confuse me. I find estimating or using cups more burdensome (and I hate estimating so rarely even log restaurant stuff, I just say 1000 cal or some such).

When I cook -- and I'm honestly trying to understand what other process there would be -- I get out the ingredients I decide to use (and usually this is a spur of the moment what seems like it would taste good together and happens to be in my refrigerator sort of thing) and then cook, but the weighing isn't an issue.

Example -- stir fry with shrimp. I put rice in the rice cooker (putting the rice cooker bowl on the scale and pouring in rice). Then I put a little oil in the pan (I'd use a tsp or tbsp for this, probably), and start chopping veg (or if I'm organized I might chop some before). For each ingredient I add, I chop up what I want, tare, and put the ingredient on the bowl or plate that is sitting on the scale, toss in pan. I note the weight on an envelope.

I'm NOT advocating this, I don't care, I don't currently log myself. I just don't see how the weighing bit adds burden.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »

I find once I've written it down for a few weeks, I don't specifically need to doccument because I know what I'm trying to do. But I'm still rubbish at estimating.. say 50g of cheese on top of a dish. So the scales keep me honest with my own portion control.

I do this too. When not logging I still weigh oats, rice, and pasta so I know I am sticking with a serving (or less if I want less). I'm terrible at eyeballing things that increase in size when cooking.

Also cheese, nuts, and ice cream.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

All of this.

I tend to get around that by using standard portions so I can remember it. For example, my lunch today will be 2 oz sandwich meat, 1 slice bread, 224 g. plain Greek yogurt, and a small apple. The apple is the only thing I need to remember before logging. Everything is already in "Recent" so I just have to check the box. You only have to find an accurate entry once. I use the USDA entries for any whole food so accurate ones are really easy to find.

Also, my food also goes directly from the container to the cooking or serving dish. I place the dish on the scale and dump stuff on.

I make a lot of stews and casseroles. I play with the recipe first in the recipe builder, print it out to take to the kitchen, write down any changes, and make the MFP changes next time I am on my computer.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion: Glorifying suffering and a "never quit" mentality, particularly in extreme endurance sports, is a terrible idea.

We should applaud those who make a sensible choice to quit rather than risking serious injury. That choice is hard enough, we should not make it any more difficult.

^Agreed.

Though I don't perceive this "never quit" attitude as much as I did back in the '80's. It's part of what made me hate exercise back then.

Then again, I'm older now and more inclined to not care what other people think. I have my limitations and am just fine, thankyouverymuch, doing my best within those limits.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion: Glorifying suffering and a "never quit" mentality, particularly in extreme endurance sports, is a terrible idea.

We should applaud those who make a sensible choice to quit rather than risking serious injury. That choice is hard enough, we should not make it any more difficult.

I agree. There is a point of stupidity.

But (IMO) quite a few people quit too soon. After one builds a base of fitness, if the body shouldn't or can't, IME it simply won't. One's mind likes to shut things down early. It's an evolutionary (over)protective mechanism. Discomfort is not pain, and things that subjectively 'hurt' are not necessarily causing injury. (Just to make it fun, things that injure also don't reliably warn by hurting.)

IMO, once in a while it's good - given the base fitness to make it safe - to take your body out for a test drive and see what it can do, experimental-like. It's useful to know where the actual boundaries are. As a martial artist, I learned to value distinguishing pain from injury. As an endurance athlete, the interesting boundary was "can't" vs. "don't like to".

My opinion only (and I'm just some random li'l ol' lady on the internet). Others should always quit when they think it's right.
This discussion has been closed.