Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    My unpopular opinion is that the super-skinny look is incredibly lovely and elegant, and does not require an eating disorder to achieve.

Also:

1. CICO rules everything. Some foods make you more likely to eat more calories, so they're more dangerous. Some have more salt, so you hold on to water longer, which temporarily deceives the scale. But in the end, it's CICO.

2. You can safely go under 1200 calories a day frequently, keep losing weight, and feel perfectly fine.

"Feeling perfectly fine" is a fairly vague statement, IMO. Do you mean people can frequently eat less than 1,200 a day while losing weight and still consistently meet their nutritional needs? And when you say "you" do you mean everyone . . . because I feel included in the statement when you write "you," but I find it hard to imagine how I could do well on less than 1,200 a day.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I miss this thread. Aren't there any more regional holiday foods to discuss?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »

We could embark on a few pages of discussion about fruitcake culture.

ANYONE WHO GIVES FRUITCAKE SHOULD BE LINED UP AND SHOT.

Anyone who disagrees with this should also be lined up and shot.

We do not need a fruitcake culture. Those things are evil.

See, I *like* fruitcake. But I realize I'm the exception so I'll make it for myself and not try to foist my lifestyle on other people.

Unless it was when I was too small to remember, I've never tasted fruitcake. I don't like the look, smell or general idea of it so I've never been inclined to try it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

what about gumdrop cake?????
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've never tasted fruitcake either. I won one as a kid playing bingo at a holiday party (it was an adults and kids bingo thing) and everyone joked about it and it was clear to me it was supposed to not be desirable, and I just never have since then.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

what about gumdrop cake?????

I'd never heard of that before and I just looked it up. It looks amazing! :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    gumdrops are nasty
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    gumdrops are nasty

anything that has that 'gummy bear' texture us nasty!
    As is fruit cake!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2017

I like fruit cake! One of the very few ways I enjoy alcohol. It's soaking in it as we speak, I can't wait for Christmas to finally have a piece!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

I like fruit cake! One of the very few ways I enjoy alcohol. It's soaking in it as we speak, I can't wait for Christmas to finally have a piece!

I like it too, homemade and soaked in rum and brandy. REALLY spendy on calories though so just a Christmas food. I used to make little loaves as gifts but wouldn't now since it seems to be the most reviled holiday food in recent history.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I was in the Army... it was mid January 1992 - Ft. Devens, MA. Cold cold cold snow and black ice everywhere. I was sitting in my barracks room thinking if I wanted to risk breaking something and taking a walk to the post Bowling Alley or maybe the Enlisted Club for some food. I was starving and I had missed dinner at the chow hall.

Then I remembered that my Grandma had sent me a a fruitcake for Christmas. It was still sitting in my wall locker, neatly wrapped in cellophane. Well, hunger won out and I took a nibble. Hmmm.... not so bad. Took a bite.... hey, not bad at all! I ate the entire thing. I don't know if it was just hunger or what, but it was delicious.

I haven't eaten one since. So, my current opinion might not be so generous. ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    There was this one fruit cake that my father ordered one time way back in the day from Swiss Colony Farms (does anyone else remember them?) that had dried fruit instead of candied, and the batter was light instead of dark, and the fruit was tropical. There wasn't booze involved either.

It was really tasty, and probably not what anyone who is really into fruitcake (like my Nan was) would call an actual fruitcake.

I've never had actual fruitcake. My mother loved it. I took one look at those green candied fruits in it and noped right out of even trying it. And I was the type of kid who would try anything.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    The Vatta's War series (sci-fi series) by Elizabeth Moon has a fruitcake subplot. All sworn enemies of fruitcake would really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.