Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Going to the library wasn't difficult, depending on where you lived, though. I was walking distance from two, not counting the one at my school. I also used to buy calorie counter paperbacks at the book store.

Agreed, and I actually think that learning to research things in books made me more able to evaluate information. I fear that lots of people think you can google something on the internet (or read it on Facebook) and trust it, which is terrifying.

I do like that a lot more information is on packages, as you said, and where I live at chain restaurants (I mostly don't go to chain restaurants, but I like that the information is available for those who do).
    But overall, I think people generally know the basics and don't eat like they're the poster children for the recurring strawman argument on these boards, consuming nothing but french fries and Little Debbie's.

YES -- or if they do eat the SAD (or whatever), they acknowledge it's because that's how they want to eat, and don't pretend they have no idea that vegetables are good for you or that excessive sweets is often high cal and not high in micronutrients or satiety (although people may find on satiety that their personal experience varies).

I really don't think one could read MFP and not realize that protein and vegetables and fiber and healthy fats and so on are important, unless one has a preexisting commitment to another way of eating that cites sources that disagree (keto or some versions of vegan or raw or what not).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Jack Lalanes advice from 1960 was right on the money.

No coffee, no butter, no added sugar at all (because it's worse than cigarettes), no so-called "processed foods" (although he ate a bunch at restaurants so long as they added no salt and butter), and absolutely no dairy (because it's for suckling calves).

Really?

Okay, cool. I don't agree, but cool.

Lalane was a zealot and his professional image was intertwined with his lifestyle habits, so he was one of the rare people who could sustain this type of regiment. For the rest of us, this level of restriction is unsustainable and in light of current nutritional knowledge, unnecessary.

We agree.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yeah, guess I grew up in the Dark Ages (13 years old in 1960). The best thing about Jack Lalanne was his beautiful German shepherd.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I'm curious about one thing, why is it ACV specifically? I'm partial to raspberry vinegar and hate the taste of apple cider vinegar. Could we make the former trendy please?

Isn't it something about the "mother" or some other weirdness specific to ACV?

Yes, I think so (though the popularized mythology probably also depends on Bragg and other acolytes/profiteers talking it up more abstractly).

In reality, I don't think "the mother" is inherently ACV specific: "Mother" is simply the culture that makes vinegar happen (just as you need culture to make yogurt yogurt, or sourdough sourdough).

I'm a science fan-girl, big time, but also a bit experimental in my behavior, when I think there's a moderately high probability bet to be made involving a food I find tasty, and that's clearly been evolution tested for safety. ACV (with mother ;) ) is one.

There's some interesting (but inconclusive and non-definitive) science growing around human gut microbiome diversity. We definitely don't know enough to be prescriptive. Nonetheless, I personally feel there's enough "interesting stuff" that it makes sense to make it a point to regularly eat pro/prebiotic foods that are delicious, time-tested, and nutritious.

For me, that includes foods like kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, miso, raw ACV, and the like. I see no down side (though some do need to avoid salt-cured fermented foods because of health issues).

This might be unpopular. ;)

Interesting about the "mother" - I didn't realize vinegar was made with a culture. I agree that as a fermented food ACV could potentially have some positive impact on gut microbiome diversity. I'm with AmusedMonkey, though, wouldn't any type of vinegar have the same effect? Why ACV in particular?

ACV seems to be the only one that's widely available raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized. If other types of vinegar were available in that form, they'd have the same effect (or lack thereof ;) ) AFAIK.

Edited: typo

I don't know if it relates to the popularity of Bragg's mother marketing, but I saw red wine vinegar with the mother at WF a couple of days ago.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think protein is as important as people make it out to be. I reached my lowest weight, and body fat, with protein 40-75 grams. Updated DEXA scan showed no muscle loss either. My mother isn't very fond of protein or meat as well. Her diet has always been plant heavy and unsaturated fat heavy while not much protein or meat (think Mediterranean). She used to model when she was my age. She's pretty fit for a woman in her 50's.

If you lost weight you lost muscle...that's just a fact of life.

Dexa scans aren't 100% either.

Protein is important if you are doing resistance training to help repair the muscles and you need that if you want to build muscles.

and last but not least protein helps keep you feeling fuller longer...

So it is as important as any of the other macros...and to get up to 75 grams of protein is pretty good considering the RDA for a sedentary female is 46 grams...
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Thinking about doing 30 minutes physical exercise for 30 minutes is about 25% as effective as the generally expected real world results as really doing the activity. Crazy but there is a measurable different in most cases.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    I've heard the general idea about running being the worst way to get into "good shape" is gaining popularity again. Like most other oversimplifications of generalic health advice, this one swings in and out of favour. Depending on veritables like age, body tyoe so its easy to see why this one can be a hot patato.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Not my opinion but: "only if you go outside it counts as exercise".
    So what I am doing in the gym (cardio or weights or whatever) does not count because it has a roof?
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Not my opinion but: "only if you go outside it counts as exercise".
    So what I am doing in the gym (cardio or weights or whatever) does not count because it has a roof?

i had a gym buddy that sud the same thing. I asked him why his a mrmber...Low restance cario workout he replied. ... he didn't get the irony.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Very not my opinion but its said. ... "overweight/ un-toned people can't/shouldn't give health / fitness advice".... in reality there is the oplar view that if somone has never had to live through weight management might miss things through lack of practice experience that somone who has may not. And you can't judge a book by its cover.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's becoming an unpopular opinion but I really believe that keto diets are unhealthy.

Unless you are eating offal, which most don't seem to be I believe you will be short of your micro nutrients.

It worries me to see so many new posters this week thinking keto is the way to eat to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way.

I haven't seen as many things like ACV and raspberry ketones as in last January's on MFP but I agree the keto craze has a whole new set of followers in early 2018. I'm on a Facebook group for the InstantPot (pressure cooker) and it's astonishing to me how many of those folks are starting on the keto bandwagon too. Where's the new buzz coming from, any idea?

I saw i few items pop up of fuzzfeed early December. Msy be part of it. You know the echo chamber effect.
This discussion has been closed.