Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    * I agree with your speculation that a "better" gut flora population would mean getting better access to nutrition from food, including calories. Keep in mind that the gut bugs themselves eat in order to live/thrive: Often, they're harvesting things that we don't digest, which is why certain types of fiber are important. (There's some speculation is that this is related to why people who ramp up fiber too fast can get gassy - bugs gorging and micro-tooting. ;) ).

This is my new favorite term. :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the person.

It does depend on the person. I work best when I work alone. I don't even do well with "support". It feels as if I need to meet some kind of expectation in return for the support, so if I do it solely for myself I tend to do better because I get to work flexibly the way that best works for me, focusing on the process itself instead of feeling pressured to deliver certain results. It's not about not being able to do as much as other people (that doesn't bother me one bit), it's more about having more freedom with my process.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm largely the same, although sometimes training groups have been helpful in limited ways (I liked being able to do my long run with a group when marathon training one time, although I trained fine on my own another time too).

I'm not sure I totally buy into this (or any simplified theory), but Gretchen Rubin has this classification based on source of motivation (obliger = externally motivated, need things like accountability partners or commitment to a class, questioner = internally motivated, need to determine for yourself it is important, purely external doesn't work, upholder = motivated both internally and externally, rebel = struggle against strictures however imposed, even your own, need to find other strategies (like I'm sticking it to the man by doing this, I guess). ;-)

When I tested, I got questioner, and that fits with how I have effectively gotten fit. Tying it to an official class or another person doesn't work for me. A running group or Compu-Trainer class can IF I convince myself it fits into what I specifically want to do in some way. My best results have been when I plan out what I'm doing and really understand why and then work it (and I adore planning). Even telling people what I'm doing doesn't really work for added motivation, as I tend to feel now I'm doing it for them and it feels more stressful. Weird, but I think understanding it helps me work with it.

I never, ever got why people claimed an open diary was somehow relevant to their motivation before (you need others to tell you how to eat? you want others to comment on poor choices when they don't even understand your specific goals?) and I guess now I'm able to chalk that up to differences, although I still find it odd.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm largely the same, although sometimes training groups have been helpful in limited ways (I liked being able to do my long run with a group when marathon training one time, although I trained fine on my own another time too).

I'm not sure I totally buy into this (or any simplified theory), but Gretchen Rubin has this classification based on source of motivation (obliger = externally motivated, need things like accountability partners or commitment to a class, questioner = internally motivated, need to determine for yourself it is important, purely external doesn't work, upholder = motivated both internally and externally, rebel = struggle against strictures however imposed, even your own, need to find other strategies (like I'm sticking it to the man by doing this, I guess). ;-)

When I tested, I got questioner, and that fits with how I have effectively gotten fit. Tying it to an official class or another person doesn't work for me. A running group or Compu-Trainer class can IF I convince myself it fits into what I specifically want to do in some way. My best results have been when I plan out what I'm doing and really understand why and then work it (and I adore planning). Even telling people what I'm doing doesn't really work for added motivation, as I tend to feel now I'm doing it for them and it feels more stressful. Weird, but I think understanding it helps me work with it.

I never, ever got why people claimed an open diary was somehow relevant to their motivation before (you need others to tell you how to eat? you want others to comment on poor choices when they don't even understand your specific goals?) and I guess now I'm able to chalk that up to differences, although I still find it odd.

i just took the Gretchen Rubin test - i'm a total questioner with a dash of rebel (no surprise to anyone who knows me)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person.

It does depend on the person. I work best when I work alone. I don't even do well with "support". It feels as if I need to meet some kind of expectation in return for the support, so if I do it solely for myself I tend to do better because I get to work flexibly the way that best works for me, focusing on the process itself instead of feeling pressured to deliver certain results. It's not about not being able to do as much as other people (that doesn't bother me one bit), it's more about having more freedom with my process.

For training, if it's one other person, and our goals are nearly aligned, it's great, but groups for groups sake is just a distraction and annoyance, and some attempts at motivation(from people who don't or hardly know me) will just make me want to stop.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Going to the library wasn't difficult, depending on where you lived, though. I was walking distance from two, not counting the one at my school. I also used to buy calorie counter paperbacks at the book store.

What I find has changed is that, thanks to the internet and nutritional info on packaging, it's much easier to get up-to-date info and I don't have to deal with the whole "I'm in Canada and most of the brands in the paperback are US-based and not available here and they don't have half the brands that are."

But that's just calories.

As far as nutritional info, I think there's always been conflicting data and stuff taken out of context (examples: people with diabetes generally need to watch carb and sugar intake, therefore everyone should restrict these; people with gluten sensitivities get sick when they eat wheat, therefore it would be beneficial for everyone to avoid it). The internet has given people a platform and a presence, to the point where it's difficult to know who's actually an authority and who's just claiming to be one. But overall, I think people generally know the basics and don't eat like they're the poster children for the recurring strawman argument on these boards, consuming nothing but french fries and Little Debbie's.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Going to the library wasn't difficult, depending on where you lived, though. I was walking distance from two, not counting the one at my school. I also used to buy calorie counter paperbacks at the book store.

To be fair, I grew up in the 80s, but the 6 libraries that were within walking distance of where I lived were built before the 60s.

This discussion has been closed.