Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    where does it say in the community guidelines that all posts have to be backed up by independently verified peer reviewed studies? These are ridiculous and unrealistic expectations fot iterest chat.

This is the debate section... people tend to want sources to know what arguments they're up against and if there is a scientific basis to a claim.

If the sources provided are not convincing on a scientific level, it will be pointed out and the argument disregarded until proper sources are provided.

Also, if someone makes a claim (like keto diets kill children) then it's up to that person to back that claim up. This means learning to wet your sources. The link to diannethegeek's post is a good starting point to learn how to do that.

Edit: I hate autocorrect...

Stating source are ike quoting statistics just having thrm didn't automatically validate your points judt like not having them should not automatically mean the point is completely invsiladated... and OMG the title of this thread is "What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?" You can't resonable demand sources for this.

Says can't demand source, yet posts sources like "thepaleomom". SMH, another misinformed mouth breather
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Now your just calling me rude manes "another misinformed mouth breather".... well if it makes you feel better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mean while. .... there was s guy in my running group who said to anyone who woukd listen that. .. running of a treadmill burnt off more energy then running outside....... interesting. ... thoughts? At first i thought no..... but you could see how it could work.

Not because of outside vs. inside.

I use treadmills to practice hill running (where I live it is flat) or speed intervals, so perhaps if something like that.

I think treadmill on 0 at the same speed is less work (although not such a difference I think it matters).

Treadmills for me are mainly a necessarily evil if I need to do some hills or weather is terrible (as it has been here).
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    God's sake I've tried to change the subject twice now time to just let it go....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Re keto, I actually think that most of the people here who do keto DON'T have their children on keto diets, and personally I wouldn't (not doing keto, no kids, so sort of irrelevant).

I doubt people who do keto on average have kids who eat less healthfully than other kids.

Also not aware of any spate of child deaths from the recent popularity of keto. Hard to imagine that would not be sensationalized.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    sure you all know but wants things devolve to personal attacks its over for your credibility.... passive aggressive language is one thing but if your only reply in an insult well. ... good for you

Asking you for well vetted sources is not passive aggressive. Again, this is a debate forum and this is standard expectation to provide sources and defend your claims, the burden of proof is on those making the claims.

This!^ She is right. In debate you man up or you get heat. Provide credible sources or you will be dismissed.
    Have you heard the saying "If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen"?
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    How about this one..... i think it was a mate.... the idea was that eating celery and carrots burns more energy then you gain.... this was a white ago and im sure this has subce bern confirmed as a myth.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How about this one..... i think it was a mate.... the idea was that eating celery and carrots burns more energy then you gain.... this was a white ago and im sure this has subce bern confirmed as a myth.

Myth. Dumb idea that gets passed around by wannabee nutritionists.
This discussion has been closed.