Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's becoming an unpopular opinion but I really believe that keto diets are unhealthy.

Unless you are eating offal, which most don't seem to be I believe you will be short of your micro nutrients.

It worries me to see so many new posters this week thinking keto is the way to eat to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way.

I haven't seen as many things like ACV and raspberry ketones as in last January's on MFP but I agree the keto craze has a whole new set of followers in early 2018. I'm on a Facebook group for the InstantPot (pressure cooker) and it's astonishing to me how many of those folks are starting on the keto bandwagon too. Where's the new buzz coming from, any idea?

Redditt seems to be one of the main sources. They keep mentioning the Dietdoctor site also.

Scary thing is that they are even questioning that you have to watch your calories.

Just what the obesity crisis needs.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ooh, I got an instant pot for Christmas and was going to ask for the fb link you had referred to. Now I am not sure I want to. Keto and challenges about it just aren't my thing.

The hug was a sincere one, I eould have thrown my lap top.

Cheers, h.
    Could you post the link anyway, please.
    I'm trying chicken biryani tonight, 2nd experiment.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    I was hoping to find at least a commentary on the December buzzfeed video. YouTube is quite good at that. Didn't find exactly what i remember but this includes similar points after the 8 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/MzHLAqyO7PQ

one thing i remember clearly was the presenter having the keto eyes.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I believe that most of these opinions are unpopular in certain circles of these forums.

1. Gluten Sensitivity. It is possible to have a negative reaction to foods containing wheat without being celiac. It is possible that when I tried a gluten-free diet, on the advice of an actual M.D. after having many other diagnostic tests done that several persistent problematic issues resolved. It is possible that when I do eat wheat, that it is the reason that my symptoms return for several days. It is possible that I am on a gluten-free diet because it makes me feel better and not because it is a fad that people on pinterest have popularized.

Wheat makes me ill also, but it’s not the gluten that’s a problem, it’s the fructans. I have to limit intake but can have some. The gluten free fad is so ubiquitous however that no one seems to understand that and is bitterly disappointed when I don’t want their gluten free offerings.

One of the additives they put in wheat flour makes me wish I hadn't eaten it. I'm not a big bread eater, but when I do eat bread, crackers, etc. it's usually homemade with organic flour(no additives), or crackers made in Europe, where they don't use this particular additive.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    It's becoming an unpopular opinion but I really believe that keto diets are unhealthy.

Unless you are eating offal, which most don't seem to be I believe you will be short of your micro nutrients.

It worries me to see so many new posters this week thinking keto is the way to eat to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way.

I haven't seen as many things like ACV and raspberry ketones as in last January's on MFP but I agree the keto craze has a whole new set of followers in early 2018. I'm on a Facebook group for the InstantPot (pressure cooker) and it's astonishing to me how many of those folks are starting on the keto bandwagon too. Where's the new buzz coming from, any idea?

Redditt seems to be one of the main sources. They keep mentioning the Dietdoctor site also.

Scary thing is that they are even questioning that you have to watch your calories.

Just what the obesity crisis needs.

In that same FB page I was referring to, there have been quite a few people asking about how to lose weight cooking with the InstantPot, or any "InstantPot Diets". Every single post like that yields dozens of "try low carb!" and "keto, it's awesome!" Posts and very few, if any, mention of watching calories, eating all foods in moderation, etc. I got into a somewhat heated debate with one poster who told me that CICO was outdated, that no one who loses weight with a calorie deficit can be successful long term because it trashes your metabolism, that keto overcomes the hormones that prevents us from losing weight and then told me that I might try looking into some actual science once in a while. At that point I just closed my laptop and sighed. Not one, single, person besides me tried to challenge her misguided beliefs.

Scary.

And the thing is it is really just starting to peak, so like the low fat demonising I think we may have a few more years of this to come yet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    After enough crazy people manage to kill their children. Then maybe the kinesthetic diet Dogma will too.100 years of studies demonstrating this is literally a chikd killer shoul be enouth.

What is the kinesthetic diet? I can't find anything about it on google, it just brings up keto diets.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    keto or ketogenic diet ... same thing.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    kinesthetic diet = tyop
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I'm not a keto person, but I've never heard allegations that it's a child killer.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    kinesthetic diet = tyop

Oh the irony. Well played - that made me smile.

i need a goood augh about this and a bigger keyboard won't hurt either
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Do what you want to do, say what you want to say, because those who matter don’t mind, and those who do mind don’t matter.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    Mean while. .... there was s guy in my running group who said to anyone who woukd listen that. .. running of a treadmill burnt off more energy then running outside....... interesting. ... thoughts? At first i thought no..... but you could see how it could work.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Mean while. .... there was s guy in my running group who said to anyone who woukd listen that. .. running of a treadmill burnt off more energy then running outside....... interesting. ... thoughts? At first i thought no..... but you could see how it could work.

On one hand, I could see how your pace would remain steadier, so you wouldn't inadvertently slow, but on the other hand, running outside usually involves some sort of change in terrain, which could lead to greater burns. I think that running a flat track outside might burn less than a treadmill if you slow unintentionally (which is hard to do on a treadmill, because set speed) but i can see both sides.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

On one hand, I could see how your pace would remain steadier, so you wouldn't inadvertently slow, but on the other hand, running outside usually involves some sort of change in terrain, which could lead to greater burns. I think that running a flat track outside might burn less than a treadmill if you slow unintentionally (which is hard to do on a treadmill, because set speed) but i can see both sides.

Going against wind resistance and the fact you are pushing off from a static base, ie the ground would also have an effect I would think.
    Logic says to me outside due to this but I don't know.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I run on a treadmill and outside....

The treadmill is easier...even on a steady incline of 2 doing 8.5 for 1 min then 9.5 for a min.

Vs Outside which is a steady flat (with slight incline that you don't notice) steady pace.

I know when I run for 30mins outside it's usually 5k or 3miles...treadmill says 4.28 miles...yah no.
  • 01189998819991197253Z
    Options
    This is the sort of debate i like. . Off the wall but somehow satisfying... the way my brain processed this idea was that a) less restance from well the environment ie mud, grass... less loss of momentum thus ability to go longer at pace thus more energy burnt.
This discussion has been closed.