Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Here's a good one: exercise is only for fitness, and anyone who doesn't agree is doing it wrong.

OK, I couldn't disagree more. But I "liked" because it is certainly an unpopular opinion.

I think I phrased it wrong. A while ago there was a thread for favorite fitness myths, that's what I had in mind when I wrote that. I see "exercise is for fitness, diet is for weight" a lot here, and always disagree; my unpopular opinion is that exercise is for whatever you want to get out of it. Calories, entertainment, to see if your new jacket breathes well enough when you walk up a hill, or even fitness.

Thumbs up, man. Gotcha.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The concept of intuitive eating. The idea that we are somehow supposed to know when to start or stop eating to maintain a subjective weight is entirely absurd. The endless threads of people leaving MFP and starting up again give a small degree of insight into this.

Expecting people to manage a checkbook without balancing is a little more plausible because once your expenses overtake your income, the consequences are immediate and direct. There are no such immediate consequences in weight management.

I love this. I do think there are alternatives to calorie counting that work, but they aren't intuitive eating and require some kind of monitoring.

Sure, some people don't have to think about it, perhaps, but they didn't get fat.

Why would intuitive eating mean not thinking about it?? It's quite the opposite really.

I think there might be different understandings of the term at play here.

Of late, some play has been given on the boards to the idea of natural hunger signaling being some sort of standard to which we should all be held.

That's the type of "intuitive eating" that would require no thinking, because our bodies would provide the "I'm full, please stop" signal.

Learned intuitive eating as taught in other circles of listening to your body in a continuous cycle of questioning and feedback is something else which would, of course, require thought.

I think the first scenario I mentioned is bunk. I think the idea that it's a standard to which everyone should be held is laughable.

I think for some people, especially those for whom any sort of conscientious portioning or accounting becomes obsessive, can really benefit from the second kind of intuitive eating. IIRC, someone on Reddit's LoseIt community was using that approach, and while she realized that she might never get to be really really thin, she knew that it was the healthiest psychological path for her.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded statement, and think it true of every weight loss method. Not the bunk part, just the 'standard to which everyone should be held' part.
This discussion has been closed.