Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Thanks for providing the necessary information. I would recommend changing your goal on MyFitnessPal to lose 1 pound instead of trying to lose 2 pounds. You're 213 pounds if my conversion is correct and you're 5'9. I would also recommend adding strength training into your workout. I'm not sure if you're into lifting, or if you want you can add more resistance to your workouts or use weights.

What's your goal weight? How much weight do you want to lose? sometimes taking things slow and eating the right smith of calories will give you the body you want.

Good luck!

I'm looking to get to about 70-75kgs (that's another 60 pounds to lose).
    My goal is to get small rather than bulky so with the fear of getting a stocky look, I decided to live weights until I'm down another 30 pounds.

lol, clueless.

Yeah so bash them for it?
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Obligatory:
    j2wpnlcb5izt.jpg

• Rammer123
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Hi! I'd learn to cook. Tesco ready meals are not a substitute for real food. Pedal back on exercise - you are probably doing too much, the equivalent of 30mins walking each day is enough to get fat moving. Don't eat back ANY exercise calories.
    Telling someone who is undereating to not eat back exercise calories is indicative of you not reading the post at all.

Exercise doesn't burn fat, either.

Where does the energy come from if you're carb depleted?
  • Rammer123
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hi! I'd learn to cook. Tesco ready meals are not a substitute for real food. Pedal back on exercise - you are probably doing too much, the equivalent of 30mins walking each day is enough to get fat moving. Don't eat back ANY exercise calories.

OP is losing 4-5 lbs per week, the LAST thing to tell him is not to eat back exercise calories.

And exercise is good for your body and your mind, walking might be enough for you but for others it serves many purposes and is well worth the effort. What's important is to eat enough to fuel the exercise - ie eat your exercise calories.

I agree, it's no good if you're feeling crappy at the gym and unable to perform, only hard things is gauging how much you're really burning.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My apologies, I didn't realize my original post, didn't post properly.

Stats:
    Starting weight: 109.5
    Current weight (as of this morning): 97.7KG
    Height: 177cm (5ft9)
    Sex: Male

Hang on ... did I read that right? You're male, 5'9", 109 lbs? You're way under-weight. Like scary under-weight. Did I miss something?

Nevermind... just realized you meant 109 kg. Disregard. I don't see how to delete post. Sorry.

In any case, as others have suggested, I would recommend increasing calories. 1200 a day is not nearly enough for your height even if you were not working out. Too few calories can absolutely stall weight loss, as it messes up your body chemistry. Your body goes into starvation mode, and will hold onto fat at all costs, and will sacrifice lean body tissue. It's not good.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Locolady98 wrote: »
    My apologies, I didn't realize my original post, didn't post properly.

Stats:
    Starting weight: 109.5
    Current weight (as of this morning): 97.7KG
    Height: 177cm (5ft9)
    Sex: Male

Hang on ... did I read that right? You're male, 5'9", 109 lbs? You're way under-weight. Like scary under-weight. Did I miss something?

Its KGs not LBs
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Late to the party.

You got a great jump start on your weight loss. Use that as motivation to keep going, and use the information you learned here and aim for a slower rate of loss. Be honest about your activity level, eat minimum the number MFP gives you each day, plus half of what your watch tells you you earned through exercise. Its slower. It sucks, I know. But would you rather be here in 20 years doing the same thing? Or would you rather be doing this for real, for life, learning the right habits? Trust me as someone 10 years older than you... it's the latter.

I think someone mentioned Happy Scale a while back - if you're not the type to obsess over the number every day, use it! Weigh in every day under the same conditions (I prefer first thing in the morning after using the rest room, and no clothes), and pay attention to the trend weight. That accounts for "I had too much sodium yesterday and gained 3lbs!", little blips.

Adjusted expectations will go a long way for you. Congrats on your loss so far, and I do think you should be commended for reaching out to learn how to do this the right way.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Thanks for providing the necessary information. I would recommend changing your goal on MyFitnessPal to lose 1 pound instead of trying to lose 2 pounds. You're 213 pounds if my conversion is correct and you're 5'9. I would also recommend adding strength training into your workout. I'm not sure if you're into lifting, or if you want you can add more resistance to your workouts or use weights.

What's your goal weight? How much weight do you want to lose? sometimes taking things slow and eating the right smith of calories will give you the body you want.

Good luck!

I'm looking to get to about 70-75kgs (that's another 60 pounds to lose).
    My goal is to get small rather than bulky so with the fear of getting a stocky look, I decided to live weights until I'm down another 30 pounds.

With respect, a sustainable goal should be based on the body you were born with and your health, not an appearance you have arbitrarily picked out. Some people are naturally small when at their fittest and some are naturally stocky. You can change this to a certain degree, but if you are trying to change it by avoiding healthy activity and eating an unhealthy diet, that's really not optimal. You only get one body. Be good to it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Telling someone who is undereating to not eat back exercise calories is indicative of you not reading the post at all.

Dietary fats and even protien.

Exercise burns calories.
  • cqbkaju
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @cerise_noir and many others are right.

1) If you were actually under 1200 cal per day that would be a dangerously low calorie intake and cause for concern in itself, exercise or not.
    2) 1200 Calories In minus 1000 Calories Out each day is a fantasy. Between lifting and coaching I work out hard for almost 4 hours in total some days and I rarely hit close to a 500 calorie exercise deficit. You are not "exercising at least a 1000 {calories}". Period.
    3) "not losing weight" on anything remotely close to #2 is BS. You would even continue to lose weight after something around a net total of 200 calories a day eventually killed you, due to decomposition.
    4) Measure foods, follow the Flowchart and start weight training with a focus on the compound barbell lifts at somewhere around 5RM to 8RM. There are several good program recommendations on these boards all the time. If you want the results then do the work. No whining, no excuses.
    5) You can do cardio after you lift or on days that you don't lift.
    6) See a MD if you really believe any of the things you claimed in the title after weighing your foods.
    7) Speak with a mental health professional if you really believe any of the things you claimed in the title are necessary. It makes me think you have an unhealthy body image and/or an unhealthy relationship with food.
    8) Don't neglect flexibility and mobility. Things like yoga, foam roller work, simple stretching after exercise, etc. can do a lot for your quality of life as well as help your recovery.

• Rammer123
    Options

Exercise burns calories.

So no body fat is burned through exercise?
  • Newlyfit111
    Newlyfit111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I may, it may be time for professional help in the form of a physician, nutritionist, or even fitness trainer. There are a lot of well-meaning people on here with access to a lot of information on the internet, which may only lead to confuse or misinform you ... unintentionally, of course. Good luck!
  • cqbkaju
    edited June 2017
    Options

Exercise burns calories.

I think you are both saying the same thing, just from a different point of view.

No, exercise does not burn body fat. It burns calories..
    BUT... What is the calorie source under the right deficit conditions? Body fat.

Cyclic argument, chicken and the egg. Happens all the time on here.
  • _xCaitlinx
    _xCaitlinx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there! By the sounds of it, you're not eating enough for the amount you're exercising, so your body will have gone into starvation. Assuming your calorie goal is 1500 calories a day, at the rate you're going, you have a deficit of 1500 calories, which is unhealthy. You need to be eating another 1000 calories each day to lose a pound a week, you're putting your body under too much strain and it's dangerous.
    To lose 1lb a week, you need to eat on target and burn 500 calories a day, this is the healthiest way to do it.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

Exercise burns calories.

I think you are both saying the same thing, just from a different point of view.

No, exercise does not burn body fat. It burns calories..
    BUT... What is the calorie source under the right deficit conditions? Body fat.

Cyclic argument, chicken and the egg. Happens all the time on here.

haha I think you're right, semantics.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Reality check: You're not burning 1,000 calories doing that stuff. If you were doing HIIT, you wouldn't be able to do it every day. What you're calling HIIT is probably calisthenics. It's not just you, everybody does that nowadays. If you were really surviving on 200 kCal a day and doing such intense exercise at such high volume, you would not feel full of energy.

And yet he's losing five pounds a week. Not for one week. For a month. How do you think he's doing that without a major calorie deficit? He's only around 240 lbs. or so. What do you think his BMR is for a 2500-calorie daily deficit if you doubt he's netting 200 kcal?

Edited to fix typo.
  • 2plebeian
    2plebeian Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Google "the whoosh effect." This is a real thing, not broscience, and it really is called that - it was discovered in a study of men on a 1500 calorie diet doing heavy labor. At first they lost steadily, but then the weight loss began to go in jumps and starts, with long periods of no loss then several pounds in one day. This happens because the body replaces fat in fat cells with water temporarily. Then it flushes the water all at once. Sometimes a high carb meal will trigger the whoosh.

Anyway, if it's only been a week, this is probably what's happening. Keep calm and carry on, eat a big carby meal, and see what happens. Also, I think you would probably do better overall if you are back some of your exercise calories.

Didn't know this was how it was called, but this was pretty much what happened to me. Got stuck at 79.5-80 kg for ages (1.85m male, 26) and then all of a sudden, whoosh, 75.5-76 kg. Was like it happened almost overnight. It didn't, of course, but that's kind of how it felt like.
This discussion has been closed.