Apparently fat acceptance is a civil rights issue

Options

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Overweight people are discriminated against, I've seen it in my own field. There are funeral homes who charge extra for people who are obese which isn't fair because families cannot help how much their loved one weighs.

How is that unfair? They need a bigger box, a bigger hole and are harder to carry!!! Those are costs that need to be covered by someone and if they just average it out that means I'm paying more because someone else is fat!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Overweight people are discriminated against, I've seen it in my own field. There are funeral homes who charge extra for people who are obese which isn't fair because families cannot help how much their loved one weighs.

How is that unfair? They need a bigger box, a bigger hole and are harder to carry!!! Those are costs that need to be covered by someone and if they just average it out that means I'm paying more because someone else is fat!

Same as you pay more to color your hair when you have LONG hair.
    The end.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with people being fat as long as it doesn't affect other people. Examples:
    - You're flowing into my airplane seat. If you take a percentage of the space I paid for, you should pay me that percentage.
    - My health insurance/hospital/general medical costs are higher because the costs are averaged so I'm carrying you financially
    - You're not taking a handicapped space from someone who is actually handicapped.
    - You're blocking a whole store aisle in the motorized wheelchair because your knees weren't designed to carry the weight of 3 people
    - You're setting the temperature at work or wherever to "frigid" because you have the blubber of an adult walrus
    - And so on.

Go ahead, be fat and I'll happily accept it. Just don't impose that decision on me. And for the record, same goes for other things like smoking. You want to smoke? Fine. Throw you butt out the window though and I'll do my best to throw it back on your lap. You want to drive slow? Go ahead. Do it in the outside lane and I'll push you out of the way.

This! Truth.

I don't care who does what to their body and I don't judge... believe me I was large years ago too.

But here's an example of what the poster above is saying:

Every month I pay my $80 to ride the train to and from work. Now granted there isn't always a seat available on the train and that's OK. Also, I am the first one to get up for an elderly or handicapped person to sit. But when someone is taking up 2 seats because of their size/weight? Or if someone is sitting in priority/handicapped seating because they are obese??? F-that!

The other day there was ONE seat left on the train, I walked over to sit there and two hugely obese women on either side of the empty seat, each taking up a seat and a half, gave me that narrow eyed look that said "yeah I'm fat, deal with it"! I was so pissed....

• MrHillman22
    MrHillman22 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'd be widely accepted during winter months then
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There is more discrimination towards short people than there is towards fat people and short people have no choice about being short.
    Link a source for this. And while I don't disagree about "choice" there are some cultures in the world where fat is a DESIRED trait.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHealthNews/story?id=8347950

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/SIOW/2011/09/why-are-short-people-discriminated-against.html

https://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/35885/the-long-and-short-of-height-discrimination-under-the-ada

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1344817

http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/news/heightism-unacknowledged-bias

And there are many, many more.
    Those are proof that there is discrimination against short people. It's NOT proof that they are discriminated more than fat people. Where's the actual link for that? There are lots of countries where people are short (Asian countries), but height isn't discriminated against, but being fat........oh yeah. So again where's your source stating that short people are MORE discriminated against than fat people? Sound more like your OPINION to cater to your thread.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There is more discrimination towards short people than there is towards fat people and short people have no choice about being short.
    Link a source for this. And while I don't disagree about "choice" there are some cultures in the world where fat is a DESIRED trait.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I provided 6 links from various sources backing up my statement but apparently someone decided to delete them. Google it yourself.
    They didn't disappear. And telling me to Google it myself isn't my duty. When you make a claim, burden of proof is on you to provide it. Thems the rules of debate in case you didn't know. And NO they didn't back up your statement which was:

"There is more discrimination towards short people than there is towards fat people and short people have no choice about being short."

Still waiting for proof of that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with people being fat as long as it doesn't affect other people. Examples:
    - You're flowing into my airplane seat. If you take a percentage of the space I paid for, you should pay me that percentage.
    - My health insurance/hospital/general medical costs are higher because the costs are averaged so I'm carrying you financially
    - You're not taking a handicapped space from someone who is actually handicapped.
    - You're blocking a whole store aisle in the motorized wheelchair because your knees weren't designed to carry the weight of 3 people
    - You're setting the temperature at work or wherever to "frigid" because you have the blubber of an adult walrus
    - And so on.

Go ahead, be fat and I'll happily accept it. Just don't impose that decision on me. And for the record, same goes for other things like smoking. You want to smoke? Fine. Throw you butt out the window though and I'll do my best to throw it back on your lap. You want to drive slow? Go ahead. Do it in the outside lane and I'll push you out of the way.

so what about you turning the heat up on cold days coz your skinny as s has no fat to insulate you? that works both ways right? lmaooo!

You should bring a snuggie to work.
    Preferably the cheetah print.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I provided 6 links from various sources backing up my statement but apparently someone decided to delete them. Google it yourself.
    They didn't disappear. And telling me to Google it myself isn't my duty. When you make a claim, burden of proof is on you to provide it. Thems the rules of debate in case you didn't know. And NO they didn't back up your statement which was:

"There is more discrimination towards short people than there is towards fat people and short people have no choice about being short."

Still waiting for proof of that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Since obesity has been declared a disease. The ADA has provided legal protections from discrimination.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23592654/

There are no such protections for short people and I have provided several links showing that the short are discriminated against. The short have absolutely no legal recourse, the fat do.

• peckchris3267
    Options
    "Last week, the American Medical Association voted to classify obesity as a disease. In one day, 78 million American adults and 12 million American children were deemed to have a medical condition that needs treatment. The decision was controversial to say the least.Jun 24, 2013"
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Discrimination is wrong, but most of these organizations are simply obtuse to think they make much of a difference, they are simply lining the pockets of employees or lobbyists. Heck, discrimination happens every day all day in all aspects of life and is unprotected by law most of the time. Smoke? Your insurance company is going to discriminate against you and charge you more. Not only health insurance, but car insurance, and other types. Law allows it. Smoking is perfectly legal, and your own government and government funded organizations will fight to keep your right to smoke and keep products that reduce harm by tobacco off the market (e-cigarettes) so that they can continue to collect taxes from it. It's just one example, but you get the picture. You can even be discriminated against for employment if you have a bad credit record. You can even be discriminated against for your sexual preference. Not your sex, but your sexual preference. Happens. Every. Day. Legally. It's BS, but it's true.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Tbh this is exactly what OP wanted to happen. It's like the vegan thread all over again.
    Yes, I wanted an open exchange of facts and opinions on a topic having to do with weight, which is why we are all here. It is a very appropriate topic. Unfortunately, many here don't seem to understand, if you don't like the topic, or what is being said, you don't have to participate. You can just ignore it.

Try the debate forum.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think there are 2 things being discussed here. Legitimate differences (and perceived discrimination) because someone is obese and then actual discrimination based on someone's appearance (which happens every day, being fat is no exception)

Scenario 1: You're 400lbs you have to buy 2 seats on an aircraft - OKAY
    Scenario 2: Two People of identical education and experience (maybe the fit one a little less so even) interview for a position and one is obese and the other fit; the fit person gets hired - NOT OKAY but good luck proving it

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    "You're setting the temperature at work or wherever to "frigid" because you have the blubber of an adult walrus"

Have to admit that I like a warmer room than many of my overweight friends, they're usually uncomfortably hot when I'm very happy with the temperature.

Yes I bring an extra sweater everywhere ....or 3.

Bias and discrimination are never acceptable, in today's medical climate a Dr will usually push weight loss before attempting other treatment and could that be because the obesity is "percentage wise" often the cause of the issue?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

That's BS. Us tall people have to try hard to find pants that are long enough. Most stores discriminate us and don't carry long length sizes!! That's discrimination!

I'm being discriminated against as a thin person in the US! I had to special order my pants because stores don't carry the right size. Plenty of sizes in stock for the clinically overweight/obese though (the sizes I used to wear). And half of the brands of clothes don't even sell a size I can wear due to vanity sizing. The smalls are still too large and baggy (Old Navy, I'm looking at you...).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

That's BS. Us tall people have to try hard to find pants that are long enough. Most stores discriminate us and don't carry long length sizes!! That's discrimination!

I'm being discriminated against as a thin person in the US! I had to special order my pants because stores don't carry the right size. Plenty of sizes in stock for the clinically overweight/obese though (the sizes I used to wear). And half of the brands of clothes don't even sell a size I can wear due to vanity sizing. The smalls are still too large and baggy (Old Navy, I'm looking at you...).

I hate trying to find size 30x36 anything for my son. It's nearly impossible in brick and mortar stores. When he wore a 28-inch waist, it was impossible. Thank goodness for online shopping!
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    But extra costs are incurred, more embalming fluid is used and fat people are the reason they have had to buy these lifts that cost up to $25,000.

Pecker,your numbers are BS. I know this because I'm a licensed funeral director and embalmer. A bottle of embalming fluid costs roughly $5 and a fancy body lift costs around $5,000. The funeral home I work at has a "homemade" lift which is a car wench and four straps attached to it. It gets the job done just fine. There is no excuse for a funeral home to charge a family extra because of their body weight. That person has to be taken care of just like anyone else. They deserve to be treated with the same respect as a 150 lb individual.
    I didn't make it up.

http://www.thegazette.com/2011/01/02/larger-in-life-clients-create-challenges-in-funeral-industry
This discussion has been closed.