Apparently fat acceptance is a civil rights issue

Options
peckchris3267
peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
https://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/about/

NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
Our Vision
A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life.

Our Mission
To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

Our Promise
NAAFA will be a powerful force for positive social change. Using our collec­tive will, talents and resources, we will improve the world — not just for fat people, but for everyone.

We Come in All Sizes…
Understand it.
Support it.
Accept it.

Replies

• peckchris3267
    Options
    Diets don't fail. People do.
    With that said, discrimination of any kind is wrong
    True, but is it really discrimination?
    Is having to buy two plane tickets because you take up two seats discrimination?
    Is not being allowed on a zip line because you exceed the weight limit discrimination?

You're talking apples and oranges.

How do? How are far people being discriminated against?
  • peckchris3267
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    I find it odd that they refer to overweight people as fat people.
    Well, the NAACP still refers to them as "colored people ".
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I find it odd that they refer to overweight people as fat people.
    Well, the NAACP still refers to them as "colored people ".

I'm confused I can't really tell if ur for or against this shizz
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    My friend suffers from chronic migraines. She went to a doctor to try and find a reason. He told her it was because she's overweight. She's had migraines since she was young and skinny, but he said it was because of her weight. Discrimination against the obese in the medical world is rampant.

That's called a *kitten* doctor not discrimination lol

She was treated unjustly because of her weight. I would call that discrimination and a *kitten* doctor.
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    My friend suffers from chronic migraines. She went to a doctor to try and find a reason. He told her it was because she's overweight. She's had migraines since she was young and skinny, but he said it was because of her weight. Discrimination against the obese in the medical world is rampant.

She was treated unjustly because of her weight. I would call that discrimination and a *kitten* doctor.

unjustly how?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options

unjustly how?

He took one look at her and diagnosed her migraines as being caused by fat. Clearly nothing else could be causing them. Just weight. Even though she had them when she wasn't fat. If she were skinny, what would he blame them on?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Overweight people are discriminated against, I've seen it in my own field. There are funeral homes who charge extra for people who are obese which isn't fair because families cannot help how much their loved one weighs.
  • MrStabbems
    Options

unjustly how?

He took one look at her and diagnosed her migraines as being caused by fat. Clearly nothing else could be causing them. Just weight. Even though she had them when she wasn't fat. If she were skinny, what would he blame them on?

honestly I know it's ur friend but ur not seeing this logically.

there is evidence to suggest obesity and headaches are linked. The doctor might be right, It might be an avenue to explore. I once had a guy come in our department having had a ton of scans to determine why he has shortness of breath. No one wanted to point out that being morbidly obese might be the likely culprit and we should look at this first to see if it solves the issue.

sometimes the obvious is the answer.
This discussion has been closed.