Apparently fat acceptance is a civil rights issue

Options

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Fat Acceptance reminds me of how Star Wars was a low budget science-fiction film that became a blockbuster box office success. The movie has been extremely popular with all cultures and ages for several decades. As well as being popular Star Wars also conveys many important themes. I believe one of the more prominent themes throughout the movie is the classic hero journey. The hero journey is a major part of stories and myths throughout the world. Both primitive and modern cultures use hero journeys as the basis for stories. The three main parts of a hero journey are the departure, the initiation, and the return. Luke’s departure is caused by a variety of factors.

Luke’s eventual departure is set in motion by the purchase of two androids that were previously involved in the rebellion. Luke receives a call to aid in the form of a prerecorded message stored in one of the android’s memory. Luke finds a traveling companion and a teacher in Obi-wan Kenobi. Luke is hesitant to leave his home planet until the empire kills his Aunt and Uncle, leaving him no option but to fight. Luke’s next step is initiation.

Luke goes through many initiations during his journey. He is initiated to the loss of loved ones with the deaths of his Aunt meeseeksanddestroy is a thespian and Uncle and eventually Obi-wan. He is initiated to the way the world really works by spending time in the Mos Eisley Cantina. He is also initiated to battle during the groups amazing escape from the Deathstar. The final step in Luke’s journey is the return.

I didn't know meeseeks was so talented. I'll have to give her more credit.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Overweight people are discriminated against, I've seen it in my own field. There are funeral homes who charge extra for people who are obese which isn't fair because families cannot help how much their loved one weighs.
    But in fairness it does take extra manpower to deal with the size issue depending on how overweight they are.

It's all apart of the job. Anyone who decides to go into the funeral business knows that all our clients aren't going to be tiny old grandma's.
    And they have the right to charge more for obese "clients".

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I think I'll be a total *kitten* and start charging families extra if I think their loved one is unattractive then. It will be completely justifiable because of the mental anguish it causes me to look at their faces.

off topic but do you guys have to put embalming fluid everywhere???

would you then charge extra...for ya know, more used. There.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think it went off tracks with the first post & moved pretty quickly into fat bashing.

Especially when he is visibly fat himself.

Yes, I am fat. Three years ago I was very active and weighed 144 pounds. I was off my feet for over a year due to medical issues I got while serving my country and gained 70 pounds. I am now able to walk and have lost 17 pounds so far. I'm not sure what your point behind me being " visibly fat" is.

you dont see the hypocrisy in fat shaming when you yourself are fat?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

The fire department will help funeral homes move bodies out of homes, we've had to call for help a few times. They charge us nothing.

The funeral industry says otherwise.

http://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-articles/funerals-for-oversize-people.html#.WTbLL6cpDYU

"What does it mean if you are fat and need a funeral? How do funeral directors have to change practices to accommodate the growing number of obese corpses? Needless to say it means a greater cost to arrange a funeral for a ‘larger than average’ size person."

You're going to trust an article on a website that looks like it's from 1999 over a professional in the industry?
    It's from 2013 and yes, it is directly from the funeral industry, not the opinions of some journalist not in the industry.

So someone who works in the industry is wrong? Yet, someone who writes a dated article on the internet is right?

Here's some of the things that are incorrect about how you referenced your sources.
    • You did not check the sources of your reference article. The article doesn't say where it got the cost of a funeral for someone overweight nor does it compare it too anywhere else in the nation.
    • Also, you need to use more recent references as information changes over time. For example, a DVD player used to cost $1000, now it cost $20, but if I referenced an article from 1997, I would think I was correct if I told someone a DVD player cost $1000.

Therefor if someone who sold DVD players told me I was wrong and I did only dated research I would think I was correct when I wasn't.
  • Ogreweight
    Ogreweight Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KEEP YOUR HATE SPEECH OFF THIS CAMPUS
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    But you CHOSE to jump out of planes...

Oh my....
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to the airplane thing? Why did I pay 100.00 for having 10kg of extra clothing? They're discriminating against fashionable people!
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    I think I'll be a total *kitten* and start charging families extra if I think their loved one is unattractive then. It will be completely justifiable because of the mental anguish it causes me to look at their faces.

I will only discuss erectile embalming stories in my mortician thread ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to the airplane thing? Why did I pay 100.00 for having 10kg of extra clothing? They're discriminating against fashionable people!

Yup, but if you weight 500lbs and need 2 seats you can't be charged extra (at least in Canada.......)
  • inertiastrength
    Options

Yup, but if you weight 500lbs and need 2 seats you can't be charged extra (at least in Canada.......)

Exactly. It's discriminatory to the thin. I can weigh 130lbs but God forbid my suitcase is over 5lbs... THEN you can pay? Screw you Air Canada, screw you so much.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options

Luggage used to be free, meals used to be free, little plastic pilots wings for kids used to be free, peanuts used to be free too! I think they are discriminating against not only fashnable folks like yourself, but also the hungry, children & any potential circus elephants that want a pack of peanuts.
  • inertiastrength
    Options

Luggage used to be free, meals used to be free, little plastic pilots wings for kids used to be free, peanuts used to be free too! I think they are discriminating against not only fashnable folks like yourself, but also the hungry, children & any potential circus elephants that want a pack of peanuts.

AMEN!
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Oh my....

I know...I went there and out of my character, but it was to make a very valid point in response to his earlier statements about it being as simple as everyone having a choice whether they are fat or not.

Ha.... it's okay, I sorta agree.

He said he did it in service to his country and ya gotta respect that.

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »

I will only discuss erectile embalming stories in my mortician thread ;)

I couldn't find it, just PM me the best ones. Also i want to ask about bloating and the maintaining the required temp to cremate on a home furnace.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Service to your country doesn't automatically entitle you to eat more that you require, that was his choice. If you are bed ridden you don't NEED to eat 2500 calories/day. You require less, and therefor is your choice to do so... same argument for the able bodied eating too much.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Oh my....

I know...I went there and out of my character, but it was to make a very valid point in response to his earlier statements about it being as simple as everyone having a choice whether they are fat or not.

Ha.... it's okay, I sorta agree.

He said he did it in service to his country and ya gotta respect that.

...and I cashed in my Veteran card to be able to give him crap.

Fair enough.

To the point of everyone being responsible for their own individual body weight.....

Yeah, it's true for most cases but there are always exceptions.

It's obviously far more difficult for some to be lean than others.

Life ain't fair. So what's new?
This discussion has been closed.