Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I can't believe I haven't made meringue cookies before! I have already eaten 5 of them. I'm going to try to wait until they cool down to eat any more! 166 calories for the whole batch. Weeeeeeeeeee!
    257jk2l4j7nk.jpg
    k04ce6wfpzyp.png

More info please! Recipe? Looks amazing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I can't believe I haven't made meringue cookies before! I have already eaten 5 of them. I'm going to try to wait until they cool down to eat any more! 166 calories for the whole batch. Weeeeeeeeeee!
    257jk2l4j7nk.jpg
    k04ce6wfpzyp.png

I threw some egg whites and vanilla extract in a bowl, whipped them till they had soft peaks. Added the brown sugar slowly while mixing. I continued to whip the egg white mixture till it was glossy looking and formed hard peaks. Plopped the mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet. I baked it at 225 F for an hour and 15 minutes. The instructions said to shut the oven off and let them sit another hour. I didn't...I just finished eating them all! :p

Next time I am going to try to make them a little smaller and I might try a little less sugar. I think I can get away with 20-25 grams.

Try making the no sugar version. Use any calorie free replacement and add a bit of corn starch to help hold them up.

Omg. I wonder if I could use those flavor drops...
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    257jk2l4j7nk.jpg
    k04ce6wfpzyp.png

I threw some egg whites and vanilla extract in a bowl, whipped them till they had soft peaks. Added the brown sugar slowly while mixing. I continued to whip the egg white mixture till it was glossy looking and formed hard peaks. Plopped the mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet. I baked it at 225 F for an hour and 15 minutes. The instructions said to shut the oven off and let them sit another hour. I didn't...I just finished eating them all! :p

Next time I am going to try to make them a little smaller and I might try a little less sugar. I think I can get away with 20-25 grams.

Try making the no sugar version. Use any calorie free replacement and add a bit of corn starch to help hold them up.

I might have to try this with sugar free pudding. It lists cornstarch as one of the ingredients.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    Tonight is steak night -- Cauliflower steak!! Cut a cauliflower in half, spray with EVOO, little minced garlic, lemon juice a red pepper flakes. Grilluntil edges are brown. I'm having mine with a bundle of grilled asparagus over 200g sautéed mushrooms with braggs aminos. Talk about volume.....

Dessert is 50g blueberries, 1tbs chia seeds, 1/4 cup plain kefir and dash of almond milk.

All in, about 450 cals!

I tried roasting cauliflower before - but smaller pieces. It was tasty but it shrank a lot! Do you lose a lot of volume when you grill it?
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Tonight is steak night -- Cauliflower steak!! Cut a cauliflower in half, spray with EVOO, little minced garlic, lemon juice a red pepper flakes. Grilluntil edges are brown. I'm having mine with a bundle of grilled asparagus over 200g sautéed mushrooms with braggs aminos. Talk about volume.....

Dessert is 50g blueberries, 1tbs chia seeds, 1/4 cup plain kefir and dash of almond milk.

All in, about 450 cals!

I tried roasting cauliflower before - but smaller pieces. It was tasty but it shrank a lot! Do you lose a lot of volume when you grill it?

Not as much as in the oven, but it also doesn't get as soft and mushy as baking. It turned a little burnt on the outside and still pretty raw, should have left it on a bit longer. Still, not bad.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Do you think I could buy a carton of egg whites and make those merengues? Do I need to use fresh from the shell eggs?
  • bioklutz
    Options
    Do you think I could buy a carton of egg whites and make those merengues? Do I need to use fresh from the shell eggs?

I used egg whites from the carton. It should be fine as long as the ingredients is egg whites only.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I used egg whites from the carton. It should be fine as long as the ingredients is egg whites only.

Egg-cellent.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    I saw these meringue cookies yesterday at Trader Joes, they had more like 25 cals each.urhznz96warl.png
  • bioklutz
    Options
    I saw these meringue cookies yesterday at Trader Joes, they had more like 25 cals each.urhznz96warl.png

They used a lot of sugar! It is listed as the first ingredient.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Would rather make my own with sugar substitute to cut the carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Out of curiosity, any volume eaters out there keto? I know, seems counterintuitive but i like trying new diets to understand the effects on me. And with some of my wifes medical issues it might help. So i want to work out all the issues so we can have it as an option after my wife delivers our next child.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, any volume eaters out there keto? I know, seems counterintuitive but i like trying new diets to understand the effects on me. And with some of my wifes medical issues it might help. So i want to work out all the issues so we can have it as an option after my wife delivers our next child.

I considered going keto ONE TIME. I couldn't because I knew I'd miss all the volume. I'd be interested to hear about this as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I considered going keto ONE TIME. I couldn't because I knew I'd miss all the volume. I'd be interested to hear about this as well.

I know low carb doesnt work, but i was thinking keto due to the association of satiety. It seems the link might be tied to ketone production. So its possible with the increase in ketones and uptik in fat metabolism that is causes you to be satiated. Not sure if they makes up for volume.

Btw, dinner tonight: 11oz of salmon with sauteed onions, carrots and zucchini, with 1/2 a container of halo top and a plum.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I know low carb doesnt work, but i was thinking keto due to the association of satiety. It seems the link might be tied to ketone production. So its possible with the increase in ketones and uptik in fat metabolism that is causes you to be satiated. Not sure if they makes up for volume.

Btw, dinner tonight: 11oz of salmon with sauteed onions, carrots and zucchini, with 1/2 a container of halo top and a plum.

What do you mean low carb doesn't work? You mean for you?

I know that fat fills me up. It's proven for me, totally. But when I diet I am on little calories and I will still get sad looking at tiny piece of meat for dinner.