Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ha! I used to eat like this. I didn't know it had a name. I always thought I was just weird as I sat down to my overflowing plate of food, while everyone else had small portions. I still use an entire bag of frozen veggies with about 12oz of chicken when I have stirfry. And no rice, I dont like it much, but family think I'm weird for not having it. And I still typically eat 12 oz of chicken or fish per meal. I guess I'm just not as interested in fruit and salad as I was before right now. .
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a favorite salad mix? I love "chopped" salads, but they always come as kits, and I don't need all the extras and fatty dressings. I bought coleslaw mix this weekend and mixed it with lettuce and cilantro. I guess I just want something different than my usual bag of spinach and bag of arugula.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie the one I have been making is a bag of the pre-cut sweet butter lettuce mix with strawberries, chopped walnuts and goat cheese. Drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic reduction. Hubs tosses beef or chicken on top, I do tempeh.

Another good one (not sure if it's salad or salsa) but diced: tomato, all color peppers, pineapple, jalapeño, red onion with tiny dash EVOO & salt over spring mix.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    strawberries and goat cheese sound so good....
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I mix it up everyday but usually some form of:
    Mixed greens
    100g of fruit
    25g of cheese
    8g chopped onion
    2T balsamic (no oil)

Sometimes I'll do strawberries and gorganzola, sometimes apples and feta, sometimes raspberries and blue cheese crumbles, or pear and whatever is on hand. Mine are usually around 200cal for a snack.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    For salad I will eat almost anything. Mixed greens, spring mix, kales, arugula, romaine. The only thing I don't care for is iceberg, honestly what's the point of iceberg?

I can eat a whole head of iceberg when I have a craving for something crunchy.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Laughing cow cheese was on sale. I am trying to remember, someone does a shirataki noodle laughing cow cheese thing?

So far I have tried it with whipped baked egg whites and in place of regular cheese for a fish burger. I am not happy about the protein content but it does add nice flavor for very little calories.

What is the recipe of the "whipped baked egg whites in fish burger"? This sounds good- calories too?
  • pielattes1
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    Laughing cow cheese was on sale. I am trying to remember, someone does a shirataki noodle laughing cow cheese thing?

So far I have tried it with whipped baked egg whites and in place of regular cheese for a fish burger. I am not happy about the protein content but it does add nice flavor for very little calories.

What is the recipe of the "whipped baked egg whites in fish burger"? This sounds good- calories too?

The egg whites - I just whip them with some salt, spices, baking powder and whatever I feel like adding and plop them on parchment paper and bake them. 100 grams of egg whites is just over 50 calories. My favorite is folding in some shredded cheese. You don't need a lot of cheese to add flavor.

These are on a 9x13 baking sheet:
    83jd85ck8l51.jpg

Thank you for posting -A few questions- how long do you bake these? what's in the "plop" above? did you just put egg whites or is there fish in the ones pictured? They look awesome!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    For salad I will eat almost anything. Mixed greens, spring mix, kales, arugula, romaine. The only thing I don't care for is iceberg, honestly what's the point of iceberg?

I can eat a whole head of iceberg when I have a craving for something crunchy.

Same. I've been known to polish off a whole iceberg lettuce with a vinigrette. Nom!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

The egg whites - I just whip them with some salt, spices, baking powder and whatever I feel like adding and plop them on parchment paper and bake them. 100 grams of egg whites is just over 50 calories. My favorite is folding in some shredded cheese. You don't need a lot of cheese to add flavor.

83jd85ck8l51.jpg

Thank you for posting -A few questions- how long do you bake these? what's in the "plop" above? did you just put egg whites or is there fish in the ones pictured? They look awesome!

I really should write this stuff down. I made it this weekend - I folded some shredded cheese and a little chipolte pepper. I went to turn the oven on and could not remember what to set it at. I tried 375 and just kept an eye on them. It was somewhere between 10-20 minutes...

Really you could fold in anything you want. I might try it with some shredded chicken next or maybe some turkey sausage. Just think of it as another way to eat egg whites - they are tasty but it is still egg whites. ;)
  • pielattes1
    Options

83jd85ck8l51.jpg

I really should write this stuff down. I made it this weekend - I folded some shredded cheese and a little chipolte pepper. I went to turn the oven on and could not remember what to set it at. I tried 375 and just kept an eye on them. It was somewhere between 10-20 minutes...

Really you could fold in anything you want. I might try it with some shredded chicken next or maybe some turkey sausage. Just think of it as another way to eat egg whites - they are tasty but it is still egg whites. ;)

I love egg whites and i need a new way to eat them - I regularly make egg white crepes. I'll try your puff recipe and let you know. Thanks for sharing!! If you have any other egg white recipes please do post them. These puffs look delicious!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    After reading 10 pages of this thread I have to say I'm fascinated. I'm thinking this is a thing I need to try. I tend to go bonkers on veggies and fruit. I'll usually make something with a protein and think "here is multiple servings of this veg. I can have some for lunch tomorrow." Then I eat ALL the veg. I may have to try this with more thought and structure.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    My husband is going on business travel this week, and I'm super excited to make a huge sheet pan of roasted Brussel sprouts! He hates the smell. I'll be wallowing in those come Tuesday with sweet potato toast and runny eggs.

Yum. Yum. My favorite is shredded and sauteed Brussel sprouts. I always like to eat the left overs with potatoes and runny eggs for breakfast. Glad to know I am not the only one to enjoy this!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    After reading 10 pages of this thread I have to say I'm fascinated. I'm thinking this is a thing I need to try. I tend to go bonkers on veggies and fruit. I'll usually make something with a protein and think "here is multiple servings of this veg. I can have some for lunch tomorrow." Then I eat ALL the veg. I may have to try this with more thought and structure.

Yeah! Set your meals up around your protein and all that veg. Fruit can be high volume for some, but for me it's not filling and I find it calorie dense, maybe with the exception of berries. But I do know some volume eaters who do a lot of fruit.