Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love this thread!

I'd never heard of this term until the past week or two, but it makes sense now why I eat the way I do -- lots of veggies at dinner, and a serving of protein. Keeps me from sniffing around the cupboard at 9pm before bed. If I'm craving starchy stuff, I'll steam a whole sweet potato.

This also answers why I love big salads and fruit over a dinky sandwich and side, and why I never cared for multiple small meals throughout the day. I only graze when I'm stressed or bored and it's frequently poor choices (because it's for comfort obviously), plus my stomach never stops growling -- so eating that way is, to me, inane.
    I'd rather get 3 big meals.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I am making this today, and eating two servings. I might even have it on some greens and up the amount of veggies in there.

I'll be looking to see if there's some decent watermelon to have for dessert.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When it comes to volume protein, you can't beat cod. I made this orange and fennel roasted cod last night and it was ridiculously simple, amazingly tasty and one and a half servings was around 400 calories, which was 12 ounces of fish! You could easily add a ton of veggies too.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/orange-and-fennel-roasted-cod
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am making this today, and eating two servings. I might even have it on some greens and up the amount of veggies in there.

That looks yummy! I never really thought quinoa was a volume food, I always put it in the same category as rice and well all know that is NOT a volume food lol. I love quinoa but always avoided it because i thought it had a lot of calories. I'll have to check mfp on that again and maybe bring it into my nightly salad bowls.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

That looks yummy! I never really thought quinoa was a volume food, I always put it in the same category as rice and well all know that is NOT a volume food lol. I love quinoa but always avoided it because i thought it had a lot of calories. I'll have to check mfp on that again and maybe bring it into my nightly salad bowls.

It's only a little less than rice. I don't eat it.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and rice are both pretty much non-volume foods (for me), but does anybody else feel like if they don't have a tiny bit of starch with their meal, that they're still 'hungry' after? Even if I just have a quarter cup of quinoa in a pot of soup or a quarter cup of beans in my salad, I just feel so much more full after. My latest thing is to make a 3 quart pot of soup and eat it throughout the day. The base is usually onions/garlic/1 can rinsed chicken, plus a little bit of bouillon, then whatever I want on top of that. Lemon chicken is good, chicken+tomatoes+spinach, chicken with peppers and black beans. I bought too much spinach and it's starting to get a little less fresh (not rotten just not salad quality) and this is a really good way to use it up... I shove a ton of spinach into the pot when it's done cooking. Depending on the ingredients, the pot's about 500 cal, but it's a lot of food and I just eat a cup whenever I feel hungry.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Dinner:
    6oz mixed greens
    1 Apple diced
    1c diced strawberries
    1/2c green grapes
    1/2 blue cheese crumbles
    1/2c fiber one cereal (for added crunch)
    4T vinegrette
    4oz grilled salmon

625 calories
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

It's not that quinoa itself is a volume food, it's that it's part of the salad with all those vegetables. I need starch, so I like grain salads for volume with the starch I need for satiety, but I usually double the vegetables that they call for to get a nice big portion.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    Quinoa and rice are both pretty much non-volume foods (for me), but does anybody else feel like if they don't have a tiny bit of starch with their meal, that they're still 'hungry' after? Even if I just have a quarter cup of quinoa in a pot of soup or a quarter cup of beans in my salad, I just feel so much more full after. My latest thing is to make a 3 quart pot of soup and eat it throughout the day. The base is usually onions/garlic/1 can rinsed chicken, plus a little bit of bouillon, then whatever I want on top of that. Lemon chicken is good, chicken+tomatoes+spinach, chicken with peppers and black beans. I bought too much spinach and it's starting to get a little less fresh (not rotten just not salad quality) and this is a really good way to use it up... I shove a ton of spinach into the pot when it's done cooking. Depending on the ingredients, the pot's about 500 cal, but it's a lot of food and I just eat a cup whenever I feel hungry.

That's a good idea. I never messed with homemade soup because I always thought it was something that had to cook all day. I guess not. I might mess around.
  • EmbeeKay
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

That's a good idea. I never messed with homemade soup because I always thought it was something that had to cook all day. I guess not. I might mess around.

Nope, if you don't mind canned chicken! Or frozen veg.
  • bbell1985
    Options

*kitten* no. I'm lazy. Sounds good
  • bbell1985
    Options

I make lazy soup ALL the time. It's a great volume food. Frozen veggies, canned tomatoes, bagged spinach, pre-chopped onions, boxed broth. Now I'm a vegetarian, so for protein I either top it with cottage cheese (not as weird as it sounds) or add beans, but you could throw in canned chicken or tear the meat off a rotisserie chicken.

Awesome. Definitely gonna mess with this.

I have a confession though. As an MFP user for 3 years...I never make "recipes". I always cook one meal and log it. It annoys the crap out of me to figure out servings and *kitten*. But I guess since I'd be eating the soup in a day or two it'd be fine for my dumb *kitten*
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My dinner a couple of nights ago... not the family's....mine.
    Riced cauliflower "chicken fried rice"
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I feel like our pictures don't really do the volume justice. The riced cauliflower meal doesn't look that big. I know some of mine don't look as big in pictures though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a volume eater, particularly at dinner. My protein portion is usually a good 1/2 lb and then a lb of veggies with it, and a starch. I do cut down on the starch though, usually by bulking it with veg (I add veggies to pasta, use 1/2 riced cauliflower with rice etc.

When I make chilli, or stew or anything like that for lunches, I bulk it with a lot of veg so that I have bigger servings.
  • EmbeeKay
    Options

I make lazy soup ALL the time. It's a great volume food. Frozen veggies, canned tomatoes, bagged spinach, pre-chopped onions, boxed broth. Now I'm a vegetarian, so for protein I either top it with cottage cheese (not as weird as it sounds) or add beans, but you could throw in canned chicken or tear the meat off a rotisserie chicken.

Awesome. Definitely gonna mess with this.

I have a confession though. As an MFP user for 3 years...I never make "recipes". I always cook one meal and log it. It annoys the crap out of me to figure out servings and *kitten*. But I guess since I'd be eating the soup in a day or two it'd be fine for my dumb *kitten*

Yes, it is annoying. It's not too bad if I have a small 3 quart pot of soup and I can easily weigh out the grams, but if I decide to cook a giant pot of soup or a couple of meatloaves or something, it is so much extra work to figure out calories per serving. Hopefully I can figure out a more streamlined method. I just ordered a food scale that goes up to 11 pounds versus my current 5 pound scale so hopefully that will help.
    dulcitonia wrote: »

I love… absolutely LOVE this meal. I would eat it more often but I find it to be kind of time-consuming at this stage in my life, but I freaking love it. Yours looks great.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Re the soup - I throw 2 chicken breasts into a pot with chicken stock, boil them for a bit, pull them out and shred them and add them back with a 1kg bag (sometimes 2) of frozen mixed veggies (the cheap ones that are cut into cubes), seasoning and a cup of milk. I get 7 - 8 decent sized serves of soup at less than 200 cals a serve, or 4 ish huge serves for around 300.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options

dulcitonia wrote: »

I love… absolutely LOVE this meal. I would eat it more often but I find it to be kind of time-consuming at this stage in my life, but I freaking love it. Yours looks great.
    [/quote]

What I love about this. All I do is cook the chicken, dump a bag of frozen "riced cauliflower vegetable medley" and a can of water chestnuts... Soy sauce heat and YUM!
    Honestly it's better with an egg scrambled in but I'm usually too lazy for it. :smile: