Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a huge calorie budget, I don't really see volume and Keto playing well together.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just read through this thread. I'm sort of a volume eater, but I need me some starch too, so I split the difference between having a portion of starch and then padding out the meal with low calorie vegetables to get more volume.

I used to eat a lot more volume and skip the starch (equal calorie exchange), but I wasn't satiated, my IBS was out of control, and I was having difficulty controlling binge behaviors. When I added servings of starch back to my meals, it helped the binging and IBS.

My meals are still pretty sizable, but nowhere near the ridiculous size they were before.

Dinner tonight was vegetarian quinoa paella - quinoa, chickpeas, fire roasted tomatoes, leeks, zucchini, mushrooms, and red peppers with saffron and smoked paprika. Dessert was peanut butter protein cheesecake with fat free whipped cream.

I feel like I SHOULD add some starch. I have GI issues too...and I can get bingey. I just...cant? I don't know. Even on my re-feed day, I'm supposed to add carbs and I end up just eating the same way.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Sounds weird, I know. But a piece of Flat-out fold it ( I Ike the flax variety) bread with a tbs of almond butter and bunch of thinly sliced zucchini is filling, delicious and fills that carb need quite nicely for under 200 cals.
  • ISparkyI
    ISparkyI Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome, honestly I keep getting preached to me about 6 or 7 small meals a day is what I need to lose weight (and if that is working for someone, that's great news). But I am unable to do that, because I know when I eat I like to eat a large amount. I have 1 to 2 large meals per day, and I normally have them with around 500 grams of broccoli and cauliflower, or a massive bowl of lettuce or baby spinach leaves etc. Even though I am full, I am still well in range of my calories for the day, and it's working for me so far.

As far as volume working well with keto, I have been in a ketosis state for the past 4 weeks, as long as my carbs are around 30-50 grams only per day, and sugars are less than 30 grams per day things have been travelling well.

Again, great thread for us volume eaters!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Unless you have a huge calorie budget, I don't really see volume and Keto playing well together.

If you were to try keto you would learn to eat smaller portions.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, any volume eaters out there keto? I know, seems counterintuitive but i like trying new diets to understand the effects on me. And with some of my wifes medical issues it might help. So i want to work out all the issues so we can have it as an option after my wife delivers our next child.

I considered going keto ONE TIME. I couldn't because I knew I'd miss all the volume. I'd be interested to hear about this as well.

I know low carb doesnt work, but i was thinking keto due to the association of satiety. It seems the link might be tied to ketone production. So its possible with the increase in ketones and uptik in fat metabolism that is causes you to be satiated. Not sure if they makes up for volume.

Btw, dinner tonight: 11oz of salmon with sauteed onions, carrots and zucchini, with 1/2 a container of halo top and a plum.

What do you mean low carb doesn't work? You mean for you?

I know that fat fills me up. It's proven for me, totally. But when I diet I am on little calories and I will still get sad looking at tiny piece of meat for dinner.

Low carb "fad" diets lead to gorging on excess carbs later on... exactly why fad diets are *kitten* stupid.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do pretty low carb/verging on keto at the moment, and part of that WAS getting over what had become, for me specifically, too much of a focus on volume, but I still eat a pretty good volume of food: meat (sometimes lean, sometimes not so lean) and lots of vegetables fills up a plate quite well, even if you use calories on some olive oil or cheese for accent. I eat huge salads still, even though I add fat.

But it all depends on what you see as volume -- I no longer consider myself a volume eater, but I still eat as much volume for a meal as I was pre MFP, basically a full plate, and not a small one. (I eat 3 meals, no snacks.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Out of curiosity, any volume eaters out there keto? I know, seems counterintuitive but i like trying new diets to understand the effects on me. And with some of my wifes medical issues it might help. So i want to work out all the issues so we can have it as an option after my wife delivers our next child.

I considered going keto ONE TIME. I couldn't because I knew I'd miss all the volume. I'd be interested to hear about this as well.

I know low carb doesnt work, but i was thinking keto due to the association of satiety. It seems the link might be tied to ketone production. So its possible with the increase in ketones and uptik in fat metabolism that is causes you to be satiated. Not sure if they makes up for volume.

Btw, dinner tonight: 11oz of salmon with sauteed onions, carrots and zucchini, with 1/2 a container of halo top and a plum.

What do you mean low carb doesn't work? You mean for you?

I know that fat fills me up. It's proven for me, totally. But when I diet I am on little calories and I will still get sad looking at tiny piece of meat for dinner.

I was never full when i kept carbs around 100g. So i am wondering if i get lower if it can help. I also ate 175g of protein and 20 to 30g of fiber. This was when i was carb cycling.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sounds weird, I know. But a piece of Flat-out fold it ( I Ike the flax variety) bread with a tbs of almond butter and bunch of thinly sliced zucchini is filling, delicious and fills that carb need quite nicely for under 200 cals.

I have a good amount. I maintain at 3k.. cut around 2300 to 2500. And that is with minimal cardio.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Volume eating and low carb would pretty much be 90% or leaner meat and bullet proof coffee, right? ;)

I think the lowest I can go with carbs is 150 - and I can not sustain it for that long.

I know that it is not really a volume food but I am really loving potatoes atm. I have had 300ish grams (pre-cooked weight) of potatoes with dinner quite often the past several weeks. For just a little over 200 calories it has been very filling!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Volume eating and low carb would pretty much be 90% or leaner meat and bullet proof coffee, right? ;)

I think the lowest I can go with carbs is 150 - and I can not sustain it for that long.

I know that it is not really a volume food but I am really loving potatoes atm. I have had 300ish grams (pre-cooked weight) of potatoes with dinner quite often the past several weeks. For just a little over 200 calories it has been very filling!

Preach. I find around 300 grams of potato to be a very generous amount, and you can still have that with a lot of veggies and some protein for a dinner around 600 calories that has a LOT of food. I find potatoes to be really, really filling.

I can't go super low carb either. I used to do around 150, but since becoming more active, trying to eat that low just leads me to binging - and not even necessarily on carbs. I've binged on Quest bars!
  • leanitup123
    Options
    Somewhere between volume and binge lies this carnage and a very full belly. Nice melons...I know. 0ci8a90e49dw.jpg

CARBZ
  • leanitup123
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Got a new one!

2 bags of shirataki rice (first time trying the rice), 4oz of shrimp, zucchini, squash and mushroom. I had to go light on the veg tonight because I literally had like 60 calories to spend on it. Oh and I finally bought and used the Braggs Liquid Aminos! Delicious, thanks for the suggestion @leanitup123

Meal came out to 205 calories. 31P/2F/8C

YAS. Love it. Gives any dish an Asian flare.
  • Ohliza
    Ohliza Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lately I eat a lot of zucchini (noodles). I can also eat a lot of beets + beet greens + stems cooked various ways. Whatever the farmers market has, I tend to eat a lot of.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    @nowine4me lol That would leave me so hungry and with no room for my protein
  • nowine4me
    Options
    @nowine4me lol That would leave me so hungry and with no room for my protein

@bbell1985 just a little afternoon pre-nap snack. Supper was 5 peppers, 1 onion, 3 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, 1 pack portobello mushrooms and 6oz tempeh with Braggs amino all grilled together!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    @Ohliza - I love beet greens.