Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

They Aren't Curves, They're Fat Rolls

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I think the problem comes in when people speak in absolutes and in terms of 'we'. I believe in solidarity in many things, but someone's weight, I believe, is their own personal business.
    Don't most women have fat rolls when they sit down or wear pants that are way too tight, unless they have incredibly low body fat %?? I don't have any fat rolls when I'm standing up, but i kinda do when I'm sitting.

I am really small and thin and still have "rolls" when I sit even though when standing my stomach is completely flat and my ab are super visible. I think everyone does.

I've seen a lot of people say this - that 'everyone' has rolls when they sit. Honestly, this is mind boggling to me. I didn't have rolls at 5'5 and 211 lbs and I don't have them now at 171. I'm currently sitting down and I still don't have rolls. I even tried leaning forward or backwards to see if that would create them, but no. I might have had them at 211 sitting down - I never really noticed, but I definitely don't have them now and I'm still overweight. I don't know if it's a posture issue or what, but this is why I don't think people can make blanket statements about 'everyone'.

True, I think we all have a different perception of what a roll is. You mean you don't even have this? zhAOw7q.jpg
    Ga9Zvp6h.jpg

I have less stomach fat than that but if I sit after eating or when I am bloated I have rolls. I guess what I meant is you can make it so you have roll at pretty much any weight. Obviously proper posture makes it so you don't. My posture is not good at all LOL.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited June 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Can you point out the fat rolls for me please:
    255586C300000578-0-image-m-85_1423067226019.jpg

Photoshopped.

Here you go, a selfie:
    Ashley-Graham-flaunted-her-curvaceous-figure-875628.jpg
    She posts a lot on snapchat too

I'm in love

I am very surprised people find this body type attractive as I think she should lose weight and looks unhealthily large.

I think OP may just be getting at the fact that "curvy" people are just fat and need to stop calling it curvy because it's just a way to excuse being overweight and actually promotes it and gives the impression being overweight is 100% normal and ok. And that is the last thing we need when 70% of the country is overweight. I read a few studies showing how people's perception has changed. Many kids growing up in this generation only see overweight adults and think it is normal. Overweight is normal. Being at a healthy BMI is not the norm, as sad as it is.

You are surprised that people find different body types attractive? Really?

No, I know that some people find overweight bodies attractive. It just always surprises me that it seems like most people actual think it IS more attractive to be slightly overweight since I am not at all. Even my guy friends seem to like slightly overweight body types and it still is just interesting for me to hear.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Photoshopped.

Here you go, a selfie:

I'm in love

I am very surprised people find this body type attractive as I think she should lose weight and looks unhealthily large.

I think OP may just be getting at the fact that "curvy" people are just fat and need to stop calling it curvy because it's just a way to excuse being overweight and actually promotes it and gives the impression being overweight is 100% normal and ok. And that is the last thing we need when 70% of the country is overweight. I read a few studies showing how people's perception has changed. Many kids growing up in this generation only see overweight adults and think it is normal. Overweight is normal. Being at a healthy BMI is not the norm, as sad as it is.

No, I know that some people find overweight bodies attractive. It just always surprises me that it seems like most people actual think it IS more attractive to be slightly overweight since I am not at all. Even my guy friends seem to like slightly overweight body types and it still is just interesting for me to hear.

Eh, I guess.

For me, I'm more of a "face" guy. And Ms. Graham is absolutely gorgeous, IMO.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I think the problem comes in when people speak in absolutes and in terms of 'we'. I believe in solidarity in many things, but someone's weight, I believe, is their own personal business.
    Don't most women have fat rolls when they sit down or wear pants that are way too tight, unless they have incredibly low body fat %?? I don't have any fat rolls when I'm standing up, but i kinda do when I'm sitting.

I am really small and thin and still have "rolls" when I sit even though when standing my stomach is completely flat and my ab are super visible. I think everyone does.

I've seen a lot of people say this - that 'everyone' has rolls when they sit. Honestly, this is mind boggling to me. I didn't have rolls at 5'5 and 211 lbs and I don't have them now at 171. I'm currently sitting down and I still don't have rolls. I even tried leaning forward or backwards to see if that would create them, but no. I might have had them at 211 sitting down - I never really noticed, but I definitely don't have them now and I'm still overweight. I don't know if it's a posture issue or what, but this is why I don't think people can make blanket statements about 'everyone'.

True, I think we all have a different perception of what a roll is. You mean you don't even have this? zhAOw7q.jpg
    Ga9Zvp6h.jpg

I have less stomach fat than that but if I sit after eating or when I am bloated I have rolls. I guess what I meant is you can make it so you have roll at pretty much any weight. Obviously proper posture makes it so you don't. My posture is not good at all LOL.

Oh this! I've been thinking this whole time of literal fat rolls like some overweight/obese people have. I'd google for an image, but I'm lazy and I'm sure you know what I mean.

And yes, in both pics these women are hunched over. I think if anyone hunches over like that their stomach will do that, but it's not what I would call a 'fat roll'.

I'll admit I never sit like that because as a child my mother used fear tactics (you'll be hunched over when you're old was my favorite) to instill proper posture in us.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Photoshopped.

Here you go, a selfie:

I'm in love

Eh, I guess.

For me, I'm more of a "face" guy. And Ms. Graham is absolutely gorgeous, IMO.

Oh there is no doubt she is absolutely gorgeous.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think just about everyone on this thread has made some good points. My own personal opinion is that yes, you can be curvy at any weight, hourglass shaped. Someone who is in a healthy weight range can be curvy and someone who is overweight/obese can also be curvy. Some people are not using it as an excuse, it really is their shape, but I think it is realistic that many do use it as an excuse. If they were a healthy weight, they would not have a curvy hourglass shape. Many people are in denial about their weight and the health effects of it, and will refer to themselves as curvy as a way to stay in that denial. Then they use examples like Marilyn, and Ashley to justify their unhealthy behaviors. To me that was what the OP and others have been trying to express, but did not do it in a very gentle way. Now will telling them they are fat, or shaming them for it help them in any way, probably not. But as the OP stated they were actually replying to unpopular diet options thread, so I doubt the person actually goes around just telling everyone how fat they are. At least I hope so, we all have our opinions but I think for the most part people don't go out of their way to be hurtful and cruel.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    But as the OP stated they were actually replying to unpopular diet options thread, so I doubt the person actually goes around just telling everyone how fat they are. At least I hope so, we all have our opinions but I think for the most part people don't go out of their way to be hurtful and cruel.

That's correct. Thank you. I know I've come across as a jerk in this thread, but it's really not who I am. I definitely could have done a better job expressing myself.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Curves vs. rolls comes down to genetics, age and fitness levels, IMO. Someone gaining weight in the midsection (beer belly) will have more rolls than someone who gains weight on their hips and thighs. The slightly overweight model that was posted early on gained in the hips and thighs. If those extra 20lbs were in her trunk, I doubt she'd be modelling.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Health-wise and regarding attractiveness, the ideal waist-hip ratio for a woman is around 0.7. You can have that ratio at 115 lbs or 215 lbs. There has even been stuff done saying the WHR is an independent predictor of several health-related outcomes. Within the American definition of beauty, the ideal weight has fallen over time but the waist-hip ratio has stayed in a narrow range.

So yeah, you can be curvalicious and be overweight but being overweight doesn't automatically mean you don't have what someone is looking for.
  • givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Curvy versus chunky, perhaps?
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
This discussion has been closed.