July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 I think their temperaments are similar. I haven't had either dogs. I use to frequent a pet shop when we lived in Delaware and an Irish wolf hound would come in. I just fell in love with him. This Dane was free. So hard to pass up. i just thought I didn't have the time for it. My cats would be so jealous. Hsha!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB thanks for that input. I know how hard you hit the hills, you seeing the same thing is a good confidence booster
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Haha! @garygse Thanks! I do have a migraine so I can not always think clearly. It's kind of fun having that, I don't understand anything, can't communicate experience.

Edited to ramble-- I wonder what they ordered for lunch??? I'm guessing a Ruben sandwich.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 7.17.17 - 7.23.17

M - 10 m.
    T - 4.9 m. Ez day
    W - 10 m.
    T - 7.2 m.
    F - 4.4 m.
    S - 17.1 m.
    S - BRick (Bike / Run) 10 - 6.3
    Total - 60.1 running Miles * Goal is a 60 + mile running week.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind in all this heat...

What Dehydration Does to Your Body and How You Can Prevent It
    Shalane Flanagan's finish-line collapse at the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials reiterates the importance of hydration.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/fuel-school/what-dehydration-does-to-your-body-and-how-you-can-prevent-it

WHAAAAAT???

All that weigh yourself, don't lose more than 2 percent and measure your sweat saltiness BS and not a single reference to PAY ATTENTION TO THIRST?

I despair. I really do.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Ladies (or fashion forward gentlemen?) of the thread: what say ye of these running buff things? Long story short I have a huge head and even those nonslip headbands don't stand a chance of staying on. How well do they actually stay on???

@JessicaMcB I have the same problem with headbands. My noggin is huge and headbands just slide right off. Really annoying! I buy my headbands from an Etsy shop. She makes them in multiple sizes (including XL). They work great for me. :)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpecificallyRandom?ref=l2-shopheader-name

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - I've heard the advice to stuff wet running shoes with newspaper many times. But in the digital age, many of us just don't have newspapers hanging around. I suppose I could dig through the recycle bin for the ads that go directly there from the mailbox; but I find parking my wet running shoes in front of a fan has been good enough. If it's reasonable humidity, they only need to stay there 5 minutes. For the humidity suckfest that has been July, or for running in the rain, they might have to stay there an hour or two. I think worst case, the shoes weren't dry when I went to bed so I left the fan on all night. The shoes were dry in the morning.

@MNLittleFinn - I've noticed a disconnect between HR and perceived effort in less than ideal running weather. Today was another July humidity suckfest, and from about mile 6 to mile 12 I kept feeling like I was working hard and having bad fantasies about how to get home if I had to stop running. Check the data, and I spent all of 4% of my time in 80-20 Zone X, 57% in Zone 2, 31% in Zone 1. By HR, it looks like a perfectly normal easy run. So I went back and looked at the HR data from Reindeer Run last December. Average HR 146, max 153, which is about 10 beats per minute lower than a normal 5K race for me. I had to run it slow because of the snow, and it felt like a lot of effort; but I guess it wasn't particularly a cardio kind of effort.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run
    7/2 – 14.03 easy
    7/3 – 6.21 easy + 4 strides
    7/4 – 8.07 warm up + 4 mile race
    7/5 – 7.40 group run
    7/6 – 12.06 warm up + MP intervals
    7/7 – rest day
    7/8 – 15.01 paced 10 + ad hoc 5
    7/9 – 11.83 easy 90 minutes
    7/10 – 6.95 easy + 4 strides
    7/11 – 11.37 warm up, speed work, cool down
    7/12 – 6.04 group run
    7/13 – 11.62 warm up, speed work, cool down
    7/14 – rest day
    7/15 – 20.25 warm up, pace half marathon, easy 5 miles post-race
    7/16 – 13.12 easy 100 minutes
    7/17 – 7.32 easy
    7/18 – 10.62 warm up, speed work, cool down
    7/19 – rest day
    7/20 – 14.01 MP intervals
    7/21 – rest day
    7/22 – 17.02 paced run
    7/23 – 12.47 easy with hills

July total to date – 219.40

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – This is a week of adjusting the training plan. For today, the original plan called for 2x5K at MP, with 2 minutes recovery. But this is a peak mileage week, and the original plan has a tough 15 mile workout on Thursday that I won't do because I'm running Karknocker 5K on Friday. So I look at shuffling miles around to make Wednesday a rest day, cutting some speed work because I have a race, going really easy with the plan for Thursdy, and I end up with 12-ish easy miles today.

Normally, I go to church Sunday mornings. But my weekly lunch/dinner with my daughter got rescheduled for lunch today, and I didn't want to feel pressed for time to run in the evening. So I skipped church, and managed to get out on the road later than planned. The run started at 9:44 AM. Garmin says it was 75º F (24º C) with 69% relative humidity and a "feels like" of 75º. It didn't feel all that warm, but it felt like a humidity suckfest. On the glass half full vs. half empty front, it alternated between periods of being overcast and sunny.

I set out to run the route I'd run a week ago, sans the added distance to make 100 minutes last Sunday. Ran it a bit slower today, averaging 7:51 per mile. Tried to go easier on the hills, with the idea being to learn to back off on the uphill effort so I don't wear myself out in Newton and have a 10K death march to Boylston Street next April. That, and backing off the effort on the uphills at the Rochester Marathon so I can recover well.

It felt like a harder effort than the HR data says it was, so maybe that's heat that I didn't perceive as heat. Got home, and my right arm informed me that I missed a spot that needed sunscreen. Oh, well. At least it wasn't both arms.

The good news is, I was pretty efficient about getting in my cool down, stretching, and shower before my daughter arrived. Had a really nice long conversation with her this afternoon, and didn't feel at all bad about being sedentary all afternoon long.

In hindsight, I think it would have been a very pleasant run if it had been 10 degrees cooler and dry enough that I didn't have to wring out my socks when I took them off. But the weather is what it is, and if it's like this on Friday I'll be prepared to race in it.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY)
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty - I've heard the advice to stuff wet running shoes with newspaper many times. But in the digital age, many of us just don't have newspapers hanging around. I suppose I could dig through the recycle bin for the ads that go directly there from the mailbox; but I find parking my wet running shoes in front of a fan has been good enough. If it's reasonable humidity, they only need to stay there 5 minutes. For the humidity suckfest that has been July, or for running in the rain, they might have to stay there an hour or two. I think worst case, the shoes weren't dry when I went to bed so I left the fan on all night. The shoes were dry in the morning.

You can put them in a box of rice like they say to do with cell phones! :lol:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Like I have that much rice lying around.... :P
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ran past a kid "look mom, she's running from the storm". Son, I am the storm.

I once ran past a kid who said, "Why are you running?" I was pleased to have an answer for him in real time: "Because I can!"
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ran past a kid "look mom, she's running from the storm". Son, I am the storm.

I once ran past a kid who said, "Why are you running?" I was pleased to have an answer for him in real time: "Because I can!"

Perhaps you should have tried this line...

c4c77ee693352ddeec786ceff59c3cab--funny-running-shirts-fun-shirts.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Like I have that much rice lying around.... :P

Joking aside, I believe it would work - if you had that much. A good fan works wonders, especially if your house is dry from running A/C like most of us are.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/7-4.7 Miles
    2/7-6.8
    3/7-REST
    4/7-2.8
    5/7-3
    6/7-REST
    7/7-3.1
    8/7-REST
    9/7-4.8