7/6 3.7 Mi 2.9 Mi 11.1Mi 10.3 Mi
    7/8 3.8 Mi 3.4 Mi 14.9Mi 13.7 Mi
    7/11 3.1 Mi 3.5 Mi 18.0Mi 17.2 Mi
    7/13 3.7 Mi 3.1 Mi 21.7Mi 20.3 Mi
    7/15 4.0 Mi 3.4 Mi 25.7Mi 23.7 Mi
    7/16 2.2 Mi 2.0 Mi 27.9Mi 25.7 Mi
    7/20 3.1 Mi 3.1 Mi 31.0Mi 28.8 Mi
    7/23 4.3 Mi 3.7 Mi 35.3Mi 32.5 Mi

Planned on a run yesterday but the weather didn't cooperate. It was raining when I got up with thunderstorms planned for the rest of the morning so I had to scrap the run which allowed me extra sleep I needed apparently but missing the run bothered me all day.

Got out today before work to run in the CLE Metroparks by work where there are miles of trails and asphalt paths. It was 89% Humidity so I brought a bottle of water with me. I did drink another bottle on my way there but it wasn't enough. I kept getting dizzy and walking to recover and by the end I had chills. I do not do well with heat an humidity and this isn't the first time it has happened but not a good day to try to add miles. After a cold shower and another bottle of water I felt better. Lesson learned the hard was as usual.

2017 Races :
    4/29/2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame 5k - Done
    6/10/17 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5K (maybe) - Done
    7/30/17 Home Run 4 miler (maybe)
    8/6/17 Hofbrauhaus 5k (maybe, not in a really good neighborhood)
    9/9/17 Kick off 5k (race 2 of series)
    11/19/17 Halftime 10K (race 3 of series)
    2/4/18 Championship 5 miler (race 4 of series)
    4/29/18 Akron Half Marathon (Can sign up for $26.50 by 8/1 without getting a shirt for full or half)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB at the rate you're going, you are going to blast through your goal...

.... I'm just glad to be at it again.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those for the info on the Balega socks. I have a pair of wool ones that I love but find too hot in the summer. I'll have to look for a pair for warmer weather.

@JessicaMcB You are truly inspiring that you are able to run so much with three toddlers. Wow!

@Elise4270 Gosh, you crack me up. I hope your hubsters was as amused by this hydration pack business? Are you getting used to the fit now? Love it?
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    July 23: 4.24 km

MTD: 47.42 / 75 km

I had a bad week and skipped a couple of planned runs. Now, I'm behind on my mileage goal. I got spooked by a large Mastiff (my best guess) on the loose a few minutes into my last run. On the bright side, I first thought it was a cougar because it ran across the street so fast and was a similar size and colour.

I was fine. It gave me a 50-ft warning to stop and turn around and, thank goodness, just gave me the stink eye and didn't give chase. Since this was not my first animal encounter (we often have coyotes, bears, and cougars in the area), I realized I'm ill prepared to deal with these wild beasts should they not be so kind about giving me fair warning. I'm not sure what to do to be/feel more prepared.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun sorry you encountered a (big) loose dog. I worry about that too, along with wild animals. I've thought about noise deterrents, like a little air horn. Might work for people too, at least to call attention. But it's something you'd have to carry.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/17 :::: 8.1 :::: 8.1
    07/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 10.8
    07/03/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 14.2
    07/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 17.8
    07/05/17 :::: 5.5 :::: 23.3
    07/06/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 25.9
    07/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.9
    07/08/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 28.9
    07/09/17 :::: 8.5 :::: 37.4
    07/10/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 40.7
    07/11/17 :::: 5.2 :::: 45.9
    07/12/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 49.2
    07/13/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 52.2
    07/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 52.2
    07/15/17 :::: 9.4 :::: 61.6
    07/16/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 65.2
    07/17/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 65.2
    07/18/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 68.3
    07/19/17 :::: 5.5 :::: 73.8
    07/20/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 73.8
    07/21/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 77.4
    07/22/17 :::: 5.2 :::: 82.6
    07/23/17 :::: 4.1 :::: 86.6

Although the temps are a bit cooler today, it's still pretty steamy out there and I really slept in today, so I went for the indoor track. It was blessedly air conditioned and while running in small circles wasn't the most interesting, I listened to a podcast and kept enjoying the fact that I wasn't dripping wet and about ready to pass out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

@Elise4270 Gosh, you crack me up. I hope your hubsters was as amused by this hydration pack business? Are you getting used to the fit now? Love it?

He wasn't phased in the least. I did admit exadurate the discount (jeez, I can not spell. Spell predicted is not helping me out any). I do love the fit. I wanna get out again today. The heat index is supposed to be 120. I ate soy yesterday (in ice cream) and have a nagging small migraine. So I may not run.. well it'll be a walk probably in this heat.

Love wolf hounds! DH tried to get me to take a Great Dane from someone that realized the pup was just too big for an apartment. I'd love to have a big big dog. But I have 2 medium dogs that don't get taken care of as it is. (They really do, I just don't spend time with them). And if we travel....
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Ugh, 88 degrees and full sun. That's what i get for sleeping in. Looks like I'll have to either go to the treadmill or wait until evening when it's supposed to get a little bit cooler. I'm thinking option two because I want to keep working on routes around my new house. Plus I can also listen to the Cubs game if I go then, since pre-game starts at about 6:30. In the meantime, I can do more weeding.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Sorry about the migraine. Hope you can at least get a walk in.

I love my Great Danes!!! I took care of one when I was in my early 20's while my boss, her owner, was in FL for the winter. Then when I got married, I got one of my own. He was amazing! I would love another one but between current Doberman and my Mom's horrible Beagle I don't have the time or energy for another one right now. Not that I am not still checking ads for one every once in a while. Haven't been around a Wolf Hound but assume the temperament is the same?

@RespectTheKitty - Option 2 sound good. Haven't tried listening to a baseball game while running yet. Being a klutz I would probably trip while cheering my team on and fall flat on my face.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

@RespectTheKitty - Option 2 sound good. Haven't tried listening to a baseball game while running yet. Being a klutz I would probably trip while cheering my team on and fall flat on my face.

I love listening to games while running. Baseball, football, whatever. It keeps my mind busy and usually puts me in a good mood because I love sports. :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Are hot dogs a staple for you? I think I eat them once a year or so. And it's usually just the chili/cheese/onion combination I want. Last I heard those things are linked to childhood leukemia, even with ketchup.

Nope, the ketchup makes them healthy! :wink: But no, not a normal meal, just a: "I am hungry and do not really want to make anything complicated" thing.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    The HR data is interesting, the run felt harder than that, so part of me is wondering about the accuracy of the wrist HRM in my watch. OTOH, it felt hard, not because I was running hard, but because it was uphill on ski slopes. There were never any times where the HRM lost my HR during the run, so it was tracking the whole time. Pace was slower, so maybe, even though my legs got taxed more, I really wasn't hitting the cardio that hard? I feel like I could go out and run again right now, so maybe it's right?

If you ever doubt your HRM, just take a manual measurement and compare to the readout. The probably be a few beats different, (manually is not perfect) but should be in the same ball park. But, unless your watch is defective, so long as you are wearing it properly, it will be accurate. It is an optical sensor, so if it can move around, it will give bad numbers. The tech has been proven, but you individual watch and use is always a variable :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The HR data is interesting, the run felt harder than that, so part of me is wondering about the accuracy of the wrist HRM in my watch. OTOH, it felt hard, not because I was running hard, but because it was uphill on ski slopes. There were never any times where the HRM lost my HR during the run, so it was tracking the whole time. Pace was slower, so maybe, even though my legs got taxed more, I really wasn't hitting the cardio that hard? I feel like I could go out and run again right now, so maybe it's right?

If you ever doubt your HRM, just take a manual measurement and compare to the readout. The probably be a few beats different, (manually is not perfect) but should be in the same ball park. But, unless your watch is defective, so long as you are wearing it properly, it will be accurate. It is an optical sensor, so if it can move around, it will give bad numbers. The tech has been proven, but you individual watch and use is always a variable :)

I never think to test when I'm out running, but I have when sitting still... they match pretty well (check for 20sec and multiply by 3).... Just did now, 3 quick readings, all within 2-3 beats, even dis a 30sec check and multiplied by 2,.

maybe I'm just paranoid a little? I know the tech is good, just surprised at my results... of course it's only been trail runs, need to try on a road run, since I have a better feel for those.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    maybe I'm just paranoid a little?

Well, I was not going to say it... :lol:

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    maybe I'm just paranoid a little?

Well, I was not going to say it... :lol:

heh... I WILL.... I think I might be just not used to being in shape. and I'm starting to wonder if my old Garmin soft strap HRM was giving me bad results... it doesn't worm with my new watch, so I can't check that way.... but I suspect I may have been getting too high values while I was wearing it. my 935 gave values that seemed right at the marathon, so I think I'm just paranoid about everything after taking 7 days off of running...
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun thank you :) . When Ben is working out of home office it's easier because I can run at 4am before he leaves for work or after the girls go to bed because he is here. When he is gone (50%+ of the year now in his new position) I've been known to treadmill at 1am to get it done. With self-discipline all things are possible if you listen to Roosevelt right? Haha!

Re: bears, cougars and jerk dogs- bear spray dude, if you don't have it you need it. It'll give you the drop on bears and big cats just long enough to bolt. Dogs are a tougher issue because even if someone's dog goes full bore Cujo on you if you mace their dog they'll still flip their *kitten*. So I try to act as defensively as possible with dogs but, quite frankly, if someone's large dog is clearly going to take me down because it weighs more than I do its getting sprayed.

@MNLittleFinn I've had runs that feel like that with similarly low HRM readings- it's always the climbs for me, I burn my legs out but my cardiovascular system is fine. I wouldn't sweat it, especially since you know you were hitting hills.

As an aside I am so amused by how prevalent hot dog conversations are in this thread :D . I haven't eaten a hot dog in years but if I did it would be with @PastorVincent 's super healthy and magical ketchup lol.

Ladies (or fashion forward gentlemen?) of the thread: what say ye of these running buff things? Long story short I have a huge head and even those nonslip headbands don't stand a chance of staying on. How well do they actually stay on???

• nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @nFoooo Has your doctor/PT given the all-clear? It does sound like you should do a test run, but I don't know the background.

Went to doctor who scheduled a scan which happened 3-4 weeks later and now the radiologist will contact my doctor in like another 3 weeks so it's a bit of an annoying situation. The smartest thing to do would be to wait another 3 weeks but I feel really good. I went for a 1 KM test jog and it felt great, I might try another test 1 KM tomorrow and then build from there.