WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My dear Mr Mozart is home and I guess they didn't hav him walked. His first steps here remind me of Bambi on the iced pond. I sure wish he would have trained himself to use the home made cat bed I made him when we brought him home. I don't know hat it will be like when he jumps on or off my bed. Right now he is sound asleep on my lap but occasionally puts a paw up and shakes it. Melody kind of 'kissed' him then left the area.

Joyce, indiana
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks all again! :) Yes, that is me, my mother, and my grandmother. :)

My mother and father got me into cycling and hiking ... they were both into those things for most of their lives, and they still do some cycling.

My grandmother and grandfather (who passed away at the age of 92) got me into hiking. In fact, my grandfather is a particular inspiration in that regard. He did a lot of serious mountain climbing when he was younger. But when he and my grandmother married, they began hiking together, and when I came along, we'd all go together as a family.

My husband and I climbed to the Lake Agnes Tea House above Lake Louise this year ... one of the reasons we did that is because it was a favourite place of my grandfather, grandmother, father and mother ... and us kids too. It brought back lots of good memories.

I am very thankful to my family that they got me active pretty much from the time I was born, and especially to my mother and grandmother for encouraging me to be active in a world that still tends to frown on women being active.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Does anyone live in Kansas? We're going on vacation there next week. Down to Dodge, Kansas area.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dana: There are some physical issues that you can fix by making yourself stronger, but there are other problems with no real option other than surgery. Making yourself stronger once the surgery is done and healed is a good idea. I damaged a knee and was given exercises. Between the exercises and losing 72.5 pounds, I've been able to do things I didn't imagine were possible back in the beginning. Yoga has been a tremendous help, too. I hope you are comfortable enough. How long do you have to wait for surgery? :huh:

Pip: I'm happy you have your strava linked up. Yay! :smiley:

Machka: You seem to come from a family of athletes with good habits and good genes. Congratulations! :bigsmile:

Cindy from CA: Welcome! Tell us about yourself. :smile:

We have DH's car back from VW!!!! I'm supposed to get mine back later today, but they need a part that is supposed to be delivered today, so I'm not actually holding my breath. I still have the rental being paid for by the person who hit my car's insurance policy. I'll turn the rental in when I pick up my car. On the good news front, we're expecting a visit from our son in the next several days. Yay!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allie smart lady, stay strong, stay safe <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did 30 min of HIIT today. I've reached my goal of sprinting for 20 seconds then recovering for 10. I need to do this a bit more to get more comfortable doing it on this time frame. The plan for tomorrow is to do an advanced strength DVD.

My new DVD's came yesterday. I'll probably try them out when I get back from VA.

Exercised then went to WalMart. Yesterday when I stopped by Lynette's she said something about coming to use the pool. So I invited her for Sunday. I know what's going to happen. She's going to say that she needs to check with Ken, then she'll come. That happens almost all the time.

After WalMart, finished putting the second coat of paint on the front door then went in the pool.

Becca - good for you standing up for yourself. Prudence's family should help out.

Dana - (((HUGS)))) You poor dear. How can Jessica say something like that? I hate to say it, but if she's like that with you, she probably isn't a good yoga instructor. Oh, she probably knows the particulars of the poses. But you also need to be understanding of the people you are working with and their limitations. In many ways, it's hard to relate to elderly people, why it takes so long to heal, the different obstacles they face. I know I took a course in "Exercise Prescription for People with Disabilities" to understand more fully exactly what is happening in the bodies of people with chronic diseases. Maybe this is her way of expressing her denial, "ma is so strong, this can't be happening. If I don't acknowledge it, it won't be". I know Denise is like that. You have such a good outlook about yourself despite everything. Love your outfit

Allie - I agree with Dana, it's a good idea to rent. When we moved to Hickory, we rented an apt. Not the kind of life Vince wanted. But we're so glad we did. One thing I realized was that I wanted to be close to the mall (not like I go there much) and shopping. I wasn't close to much where we were.

Katle - what is "lunging" a horse?

Jess just called. Seems that Denise wants a formal sit down bridal shower. Jess is quite convinced that one of the other attendants, Pete's cousin, is feeding info to his mother and she's convincing Denise that this is the way it should be. She can push Denise around, but not Jess. Vince plans to really rip into Denise about this, telling her that most bridal showers are held in homes, usually the home of the mother of the bride. He's going to remind her how it was for her when she couldn't afford things, not even cable. Well, Jess is going to be buying a car. He's going to say how Jess might be looking at cancer (yes, that is a bit of a stretch, but it'll get the point across better), she may very well need another surgery after this one. She's taking care of the bridal shower. How does Denise think Jess feels when Denise is demanding a formal shower? If she wants formal, the time for that is the rehearsal dinner. The place where she wants it is the place where Pete proposed to her and I'm thinking that his mother suggested that place. Compared to the Dilworthtowne Inn, the place she wants it is an upscale burger joint. I've been to both. DI is quite formal.

Cindy from CA - welcome!

I ordered the small wine bottles for the shower gifts and just sent his mother a message on facebook (I don't know any other way to get in touch with her) that while the girls are planning the shower, I'll provide the favors. I didn't say what it was to be. I'm thinking the small bottle of wine, I need some mints so I might buy a large one and put 2 or 3 in the bag along with some crackers. Since they're really into things store bought (I'm more into homemade, made with love), maybe a package of cookies. I'm trying to think of some sort of non-edible thing to put in the bag, something that people will use. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep costs down, the wine will be about $60, and I'm thinking the crackers probably around $20, same for the mints and cookies. Maybe I can eliminate the cookies if someone has a good suggestion for something else

Allie - I'm so happy for you, you have no idea. Go, enjoy yourself to the max

Michele in NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies.

I decided to come back to MFP. Not sure if I will be posting here on the community board as much as old-times, but thought I'd pop in and say hi. I am on vacation for the month of July and need to get back on the "healty.eating.track".

Nice to still see many familiar names/faces.

Renny
  • MartiB856
    MartiB856 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies lucky I am going out with the girls tonight because both Tom and Elena getting served subpoenas.

Good luck and have fun, girl!

Felicia
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Katla, Sue and Michelle Thanks for your kind comments. DD hasn't contacted me all day. She usually calls me by now. She's my best buddy and it hurts.

I won't have surgery until September or October. The one concern Dr. Rubin has is the blood clot I had in March. I need to take Xarelto for that and he said I needed a filter for that which I'm not sure what that means. Everything happens so fast I couldn't grasp everything!
    His nurse did tell me if there are any changes to let them know ASAP.
    Dr Rubin is a fantastic neurosurgeon. He's the top in his field. So that being said I have complete confidence in him.
    I'll make an appt with him in a few months.

Good evening all!
    <3
    Dana in Arkansas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Dana - probably a Greenfield, or inferior vena cava filter to keep blood clots from going from your legs or pelvis to your lungs. I hope your daughter comes around soon. I miss my mom and regret I ever spent even one second being irritated with her, ever...
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Machka: You seem to come from a family of athletes with good habits and good genes. Congratulations! :bigsmile:

I didn't really think about it when I was younger, but I began to appreciate it as I got older. :)

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

I’m sorry to say that I won’t be responding to anyone individually. I’m still behind and having to skip and skim the posts. I don’t think I told you that my DD’s great Dane mix that is living at our house now, had an accident last Monday while I was still in Tampa at the convention. We have a 4 foot metal fence with spikes on top. He tried to jump the fence to chase the neighbor’s cat and didn’t make it over. He was impaled on the fence and luckily DH was outside when it happened. He was able to get the dog, Beans, off and over the fence. When he got him back in the yard he found only one gash that wasn’t bleeding too badly. He called the vet and was told what to do and to bring the dog in on Wednesday as they were closed for the 4th. Wednesday, DH took Beans in and they put about 15 staples on the wound. Well that lasted about ½ of the next day and they were all out. Back to the vet to get stitches this time along with a cone to keep him from licking or chewing at it. The cone is very tight and he can’t eat or drink with it on so we took it off this morning. Now he has on a tee-shirt that was cut and tied to fit and stay over the wound. Gosh there is never a dull moment. He is such a sweet and gentle dog that he lets us do whatever is needed.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

On my week long trip to Tampa I didn’t always eat well. Luckily we had to walk so much that when I returned I had not gained any weight. I’m back to eating right now. I have enjoyed all the pictures. Congrats to all with victories and (((Hugs))) to those with any issues. Know that I think of you often even when I am slacking on reading and posting.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

**wahoo hrm not recording right all the time :0/ **
    strava can't connect w/new phone

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12min, est. 137mhr, 2.9mi = 108c
    apple watch- 95c
    Ski Machine- 20min, 3incl, 25-30resist, 119ahr, 142mhr, .98mi = 163c
    apple watch- 145c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station- 1hr 5min est., 13amph est, 125ahr, 148mhr, 14.1mi = 567c
    apple watch- 510c
    jog station 2 wk- 5min est, 10min mi est, 134ahr, 153mhr, .5mi = 66c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wk 2 sta- - 5min est = 63ic
    Apple Watch-n 53c

sträva connected now:
    bike ride puy sta 2 hm- 19.22min, 147mhr, 8.1amph 2.6mi windy! = 197c
    apple watch- 141c

total cal 1164
  • Machka9
    Options
    I won't have surgery until September or October. The one concern Dr. Rubin has is the blood clot I had in March. I need to take Xarelto for that and he said I needed a filter for that which I'm not sure what that means.

My gynaecologic oncologist is very reluctant to perform a hysterectomy on me because of my genetic predisposition toward developing clots. Even with my recent small surgery, he took all sorts of precautions. It is something they take quite seriously these days.