Treated differently after weightloss

Options
1234568»

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Part of it may be the confidence that comes to a lot of people after losing weight. I know I walk a little straighter and smile a little more now. If we look more approachable people are more apt to treat us better. Often people are unaware if they walk around with a scowl on their face.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I get asked for very dirty things indeed by men alot more now lol.

I also get treated like a fragile little flower now, Even tho im way stronger and much less breakable now hah
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I found that family members can sometimes be the worst - they needle you to lose weight and develop healthy habits, then criticize you for focusing too much on diet and exercise once you've begun seeing positive changes. And heaven forbid if you gain some/most of it back!

This time around I've not let anyone except my wife know I am trying to bet in better shape. Not providing them with any sort of declaration has made it easier for me to focus on what I need to do for myself.

As for other people, I'd say that when I am lighter women are more apt to flirt with me at the store or strike up a conversation - it's a definite confidence booster. I haven't noticed much difference from men outside of not getting looked at with disdain when boarding a plane and looking for an available seat - airplanes in general are much easier to navigate when you're smaller.

Exactly!!! mine is my mum...
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    perhaps you only feel worse because you pinned hopes on weight loss fixing everything in your life. It doesn't..and the realization makes you feel worse.

LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    I had this discussion with someone the other day. Yes - absolutely - strangers treat "normal" sized people differently in everyday situations vs. obese people. Meeting you in the eyes, striking up a random conversation in the store aisle (not flirting at all), holding doors open, etc. Quite a few people say that the formerly obese who are now "normal" sized get treated differently because they have more self confidence. I disagree. I used to weigh 245 at my highest, and am now 180 - still overweight but much more average size. I feel fatter now at 180 than I did at 245, and don't feel any more confident. If I feel WORSE at 180 than 245, but strangers treat me better, there is no other explanation. It is all about the weight and nothing else.

I feel you. Never could have predicted how lousy I'd feel after losing a lot of weight. I know it's a good thing I did for myself, but my head is so screwed up about the whole thing.

• mojonah
    mojonah Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    I have had a bit of a different response...
    I think- her own insecurities came out.......say I'm just losing weight for attention... that just IRKS me!!

Sad, but I got the same reaction from my own spouse. We both started MFP the same time. She gave up after 2 weeks and I continued. To date I’ve lost about 40lbs and she came up with same comments.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    lacrosby03 wrote: »
    I truly believe that the way we are viewed and treated has a direct correlation to the way we view ourselves. When we don't like who we are on the inside or on the outside others are able to perceive this. If you are confident in who you are, no matter your size, than shame on those who are judging you. It is unfortunate that we live in a society where looks matter more than anything else. How you treat yourself is how you will also be treated. Whether you are overweight underweight or somewhere in between, we all struggle with something. The unfortunate thing about dealing with excess weight is that others see our weight and view it as a conditional or psychological problem. Oftentimes we believe that if we lose weight all of those problems will go away. Unfortunately it is how we are feeling on the inside that matters. No amount of weight loss can help us from our eyes looking outward at oirselves. We all must learn to love ourselves for who we are, no matter what our size or our weight. Sure we should all work towards bettering ourselves health wise, but not just so we can please others and fit in to a societal view of what is appropriate. Go forth with confidence and a positive view of who you are and others will see you in the same light.

Not true for me. I’ve always been very outgoing and confident and aware of my worth (and educated and competent) but when I’m heavier SOME other people treat me like they need me to acknowledge my lesser (fatty) worth by piping down. Or I’ve been treated like I’m invisible. When I’m closer to goal weight, I get more respect and acceptance.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    utahjulia wrote: »
    I truly believe that the way we are viewed and treated has a direct correlation to the way we view ourselves. When we don't like who we are on the inside or on the outside others are able to perceive this. If you are confident in who you are, no matter your size, than shame on those who are judging you. It is unfortunate that we live in a society where looks matter more than anything else. How you treat yourself is how you will also be treated. Whether you are overweight underweight or somewhere in between, we all struggle with something. The unfortunate thing about dealing with excess weight is that others see our weight and view it as a conditional or psychological problem. Oftentimes we believe that if we lose weight all of those problems will go away. Unfortunately it is how we are feeling on the inside that matters. No amount of weight loss can help us from our eyes looking outward at oirselves. We all must learn to love ourselves for who we are, no matter what our size or our weight. Sure we should all work towards bettering ourselves health wise, but not just so we can please others and fit in to a societal view of what is appropriate. Go forth with confidence and a positive view of who you are and others will see you in the same light.

Not true for me. I’ve always been very outgoing and confident and aware of my worth (and educated and competent) but when I’m heavier SOME other people treat me like they need me to acknowledge my lesser (fatty) worth by piping down. Or I’ve been treated like I’m invisible. When I’m closer to goal weight, I get more respect and acceptance.

I’m with you as well. I feel like my personality has been the same throughout this whole process, but people use to just never give me the chance to get to know me because I wasn’t their idea of attractive. I feel like I’m being treated as if my presence is a lot more accepted and desired now that I lost weight.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    ek0513 wrote: »

I’m with you as well. I feel like my personality has been the same throughout this whole process, but people use to just never give me the chance to get to know me because I wasn’t their idea of attractive. I feel like I’m being treated as if my presence is a lot more accepted and desired now that I lost weight.

It sounds like human nature is kinda lousy :/
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Men definitely treat me different when I'm bigger than a size 16 and not in A good way, even though a few men were interested in me at my biggest size 20 Not many and for the wrong reasons, like thinking big women love to cook and want to feed them or were insecure because of oir size so we'll except any treatment.

And women well to many of us arent nice to each other especially when we're dealing with smaller or pretty women .I've been much smaller perceived as a threat not many nice or be friendingg. As long as I'm big women are nice, befriending its really sad and ashamed behavior because my insides are the same regardless to my size. :/:neutral:

• SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ek0513 wrote: »

Exactly what I meant, but more succinctly stated.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!