Treated differently after weightloss

Options

Replies

• AskMorphis
    AskMorphis Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    So I have read countless women say that they usually attract more attention after weight loss. What about the men? Do you notice more attention or flirting coming your way? Does it also seem like people are generally nicer or no difference?

It depends on many factors, I'm sure. So far, I see no difference with strangers. Those who know I'm changing and have seen the change are nice about it, but as far as strangers are concerned, nothing has changed. In big cities, you're pretty much invisible. In small cities, you're greated with a smile but quickly forgotten. If you talk to strangers who seem open to conversation, they're very frequently nice. I don't really see how this could change.

No flirting directed towards me, but I suppose it's a common experience amongst men, except for the most attractive ones, maybe.

That being said, I've not reached my goal yet, maybe it'll change in the future. I started being obese, but only lightly : people might not having as judgmental towards me to begin with, I don't know. Or maybe I just didn't care enough to notice :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, I've gained no attention after weight loss, and it isn't my objective anyway. I've made (and am still making) a change in my life, for me, and I'm quite content with it so far.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    So I have read countless women say that they usually attract more attention after weight loss. What about the men? Do you notice more attention or flirting coming your way? Does it also seem like people are generally nicer or no difference?

Oh yes, for me below 240 women became disconcertingly aggressive, and people in general are much friendlier and helpful.
  • AskMorphis
    Options
    cbeutler wrote: »
    Oh yes, for me below 240 women became disconcertingly aggressive, and people in general are much friendlier and helpful.

How so ?
  • AskMorphis
    Options
    That's great for you :smiley:
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I had to Google LuLuLemon.....
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options

If you got the women's site you are welcome, if you got the men's site my apologies.
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was thin/average a lot of my life, and gained about 50-60 lbs in the past few years and the difference in treatment really got to me at first. I'm sure some of it had to do with my attitude (depression and binge eating caused me to gain weight rapidly) and my inability to dress well/afford new clothes for my new shape.

But family and colleagues used to always compliment me and share food with me and were generally really sweet. People at stores were super friendly and helpful. Since gaining the weight I feel invisible. Family offers diet advice freely, despite never doing so before and I've never been a healthy eater. And I find people at work seek me out less for social activities that they all do together regularly.

By now I'm used to it, but that petty part in me is interested to see if their attitude reverts if I manage to lose the weight. :P

• sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    cbeutler wrote: »

If you got the women's site you are welcome, if you got the men's site my apologies.
    Lol
  • stk_pkr
    stk_pkr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never though people treated me differently or badly when I was overweight (5'6 235lbs)....until I became very fit. Male attention aside (which has obviously changed drastically), the way people treat me now in ever single situation is vastly different. People go out of their way to hold doors, people go out of their way to smile, if I need to complain about something people bend over backwards to fix the thing that caused the complaint, i'm treated better at work. Overall i've been presented with many more opportunities since losing the weight.

Seeing this disparate treatment makes me beyond sad. Sad for the overweight girl I was for 28 years who thought she was being treated equitably. Sad for anyone who is still struggling with weight who doesn't receive the same equal and kind treatment that someone who isn't overweight is more likely to receive in my experience.

Thank you for posting.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I never though people treated me differently or badly when I was overweight (5'6 235lbs)....until I became very fit. Male attention aside (which has obviously changed drastically), the way people treat me now in ever single situation is vastly different. People go out of their way to hold doors, people go out of their way to smile, if I need to complain about something people bend over backwards to fix the thing that caused the complaint, i'm treated better at work. Overall i've been presented with many more opportunities since losing the weight.

Seeing this disparate treatment makes me beyond sad. Sad for the overweight girl I was for 28 years who thought she was being treated equitably. Sad for anyone who is still struggling with weight who doesn't receive the same equal and kind treatment that someone who isn't overweight is more likely to receive in my experience.

This rings so true. It is very close to what I have experienced, too, not from my friends who luckily treat me exactly the same, but everyone else around me. It's heartbreaking.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!