No Calorie Sodas and Weight

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    the articles are usually based on studies which found a correlation between diet soda consumption and obesity - not causation. a lot of them are intentionally mis-characterizing actual results for more sensational stories.

Yep. Fat people are more likely to drink diet soda than people who don't have weight issues. Obviously not the same thing as "diet soda makes you fat," and certainly not the same thing as "diet soda causes weight gain without a calorie surplus," but the reporting/understanding of these things is so terrible.

There are other studies (but others that disagree, so I'm undecided) that for a portion of the population (not everyone) consuming diet soda may make you more prone to overeating absent other checks on calories, like counting. I sometimes drank diet soda when losing, sometimes did not, and I did not notice it being harder to stay within my calories when consuming it, so I am confident it's not a problem for me. (I don't drink it that much anyway, my vice is coffee and I love water, but if I want one, I have it.)

agreed. the only thing i have trouble moderating when i'm drinking diet soda is the diet soda itself. especially diet gingerale, of which i can easily drink 3 cans a day. i prefer to drink water, so i tend not to keep diet soda in the house, but i'll order it in a restaurant and it's not hindered me from keeping to my goals or started me craving more food or sweets.

I have discovered Goslings Diet Ginger Beer, which is expensive (comparatively) and a pain to buy as it's not in the supermarket nearest me, which is the only reason I moderate it well. ;-)

This is an awesome diet drink! So much taste.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Diet Sodas IMO are like crack for your brain.

"Diet sodas are designed to trick the brain into thinking it’s getting an extra dose of glucose (the brain’s fuel), but eventually the trick is on us because the brain adapts to not receiving the added glucose by overcompensating in other ways (leading to a variety of effects still under investigation).

Diet sodas could imbalance the bacterial jungle in our guts—the microbiome—causing unpredictable results. Since there’s a bacterial superhighway from gut to brain, which we know interacts with key neurotransmitters, this theory may eventually tell us more of a much bigger brain story.

Different artificial sweeteners in diet drinks have different effects, and there’s debate about which causes what. This study didn’t narrow down the exact types of artificial sweeteners that were consumed, so it’s an open question how one may have affected the brain differently than another."

Ref: https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2017/04/27/why-is-diet-soda-so-bad-for-your-brain/#1705e3305fad

What a bunch of fictitious poo that is...

Your body doesn't "prepare" to digest things certain ways based on their taste. Your body digests things based on their actual chemical structure. The idea that the taste of something can trick your brain into thinking it's about to get some glucose and then eventually causing it to "overcompensate" is just ridiculous.

I have always thought the idea of confusing the body this way or that you can trick the body was illogical. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I love how people post without bothering to read the thread.

By "love" I mean "don't love," of course.

This. I can't even with this thread anymore.

Reading is fundamental :neutral: