PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    lookat6 wrote: »
    LonniJay wrote: »
    I feel terribly sorry for this poor young lady

Why do you say that I'm teaching her the ropes

What ropes? Daddy manages your sex life?

No of how guys his age trying to get with her is aiming for one thing

You are way too worried about your daughter's vagina. Stay out of her sex life please.

I have to say that there are enough easy women out there that if he was only interested in one thing he could probably find it easier somewhere else. If he's taking her out and enjoying time with her and it's consentual then stay out of it. Hell they might just be f buddies, still not your business.

Sounds like mom met him because maybe she's level headed and doesn't come off as an intimidating abusive jerk.

No mom met him because my house rule is everyone has to come in the house . And he's disrespecting the house by picking up my daughter and not coming in

What? He's not disrespecting the house at all.

Yes, that's traditionally disrespectful. Gentlemen don't sit outside and honk the horn. They come to the door to pick a woman up. Including when you live alone. That's pretty commonly universal. This guy was clearly raised wrong and sadly... his daughter isn't demanding respect, either. Running out to jump in his car? Ugh. That's sad.

Just because people don't date like you and the OP, doesn't automatically make him wrong, disrespectful or hiding something.

Actually a lot of people (these days) tend to do date and WHEN they feel like the relationship is actually serious and may be leading to more, THEN they'll do the whole "meet the parents."

Not like meeting parents and having a chat. Literally it's rude to not come up and knock, even if you both scuttle away. It's disrespectful to the woman who's doing the dating. As an adult woman, I'd definitely cancel a date with a guy who didn't come to my door properly. It's a sign of not thinking the woman is "worth" merely getting off your *kitten* and going to the door. It really has little to do with parents/no parents. It's just rude in general.

And what if she asked him not to come to the door? At this point, I'd say this is a real possibility. Especially if the first thing you get bombarded with is "What are your intentions."
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @lookat6

Anyway OP I'm on your side here. In theory.You're concerned about your daughter. That's totally normal. But running in front of cars, trying to "talk" to him, Facebook friending... that's not going to give you any useful information on what kind of person he is or what his intentions are. And it's going to alienate your daughter. Its also crazy. (Just being honest)

You have to go behind the scenes and check his history. Run checks. Write his plate number and car make down so that if he runs off with your daughter... you have something to give police. And for goodness sake, if you want to find out about him on Facebook, create a fake profile of an attractive, youngish woman to get added. And then merely browse his history, friends, and potential exes.

Stop confronting right away and start investigating this dude from a position of calm, logical information. You have to get control of your emotions and put them to good use. Asking and yelling will get you no answers. Actual INFORMATION will.

ETA:

**More importantly, you need to be teaching your daughter to do *all of the above* HERSELF. So that both you and she can feel confident in her ability to govern herself. She's NOT a delicate flower where the "man shoukd know better". She's an equal, capable woman and you need to be empowering HER. Not empowering FOR her. Explain to her HONESTLY why you've been behaving the way you have, and seek to move on as a "behind the scenes" support system who doesn't confront and get crazy. One who just gathers information and keep reasonable watch.Thats your REAL power position for not just her, but yourself.**

After info-seeking, you'll either find out he's an OK dude and decide to properly invite him to dinner and "start over" .... or you'll find out he's a heinous *kitten* and turn that evidence over to your daughter/the police and hope she makes the right choice to dismiss him.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options

You are way too worried about your daughter's vagina. Stay out of her sex life please.

I have to say that there are enough easy women out there that if he was only interested in one thing he could probably find it easier somewhere else. If he's taking her out and enjoying time with her and it's consentual then stay out of it. Hell they might just be f buddies, still not your business.

Sounds like mom met him because maybe she's level headed and doesn't come off as an intimidating abusive jerk.

No mom met him because my house rule is everyone has to come in the house . And he's disrespecting the house by picking up my daughter and not coming in

Yes, that's traditionally disrespectful. Gentlemen don't sit outside and honk the horn. They come to the door to pick a woman up. Including when you live alone. That's pretty commonly universal. This guy was clearly raised wrong and sadly... his daughter isn't demanding respect, either. Running out to jump in his car? Ugh. That's sad.

Just because people don't date like you and the OP, doesn't automatically make him wrong, disrespectful or hiding something.

Actually a lot of people (these days) tend to do date and WHEN they feel like the relationship is actually serious and may be leading to more, THEN they'll do the whole "meet the parents."

Not like meeting parents and having a chat. Literally it's rude to not come up and knock, even if you both scuttle away. It's disrespectful to the woman who's doing the dating. As an adult woman, I'd definitely cancel a date with a guy who didn't come to my door properly. It's a sign of not thinking the woman is "worth" merely getting off your *kitten* and going to the door. It really has little to do with parents/no parents. It's just rude in general.

And what if she asked him not to come to the door? At this point, I'd say this is a real possibility. Especially if the first thing you get bombarded with is "What are your intentions."

I don't care if she did it's not her option it's mine

i-cant-even.gif
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options
    I can already see the ending of this story...

Guess who's moving in with her boyfriend!

:D

Or ending up on the news. Seriously. I just got completely creeped out.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

If you picked a man up would you get out of the car and go to his door?

Of course. I was raised properly. It's rude as hell to sit somewhere and honk or wave out the window. Are you serious with this? It's like holding the door. You hold it for anyone and everyone. It's common politeness. We're not animals. And my son already holds doors for women, children, and the elderly and open my car door when he and I go to dinner. He's 13 and does dumb teen stuff like they all do. But he's been raised to be a gentleman, at the end of the day. It's about civility. Not gender specifically.
  • BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Still trying to decide if I should bookmark this thread to link back to in the inevitable "my daughter wont talk to me anymore, cant figure out why" thread to come in a few months or year or so.

Not all prisons, allow their inmates; to've internet access!
  • PikaJoyJoy
    Options

If you picked a man up would you get out of the car and go to his door?

Of course. I was raised properly. It's rude as hell to sit somewhere and honk or wave out the window. Are you serious with this? It's like holding the door. You hold it for anyone and everyone. It's common politeness. We're not animals. And my son already holds doors for women, children, and the elderly and open my car door when he and I go to dinner. He's 13 and does dumb teen stuff like they all do. But he's been raised to be a gentleman, at the end of the day. It's about civility. Not gender specifically.

I open doors for everyone. I let people with less items than me cut in front of me at the grocery store. I don't agree with horn honking but will call someone to let them know I'm outside waiting for them if I pick them up. I treat others with respect, I don't litter, and am always willing to go the extra mile for a friend.

Does this mean my parents raised me wrong because I prefer not to go to someone's door to knock on it if I have other options (like a cell phone) to let them know I've arrived?
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My husband is 12 years older than me. Works for me!
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My daughter is 22 she has been seeing a 31 year old male at her job in a warehouse for five months he is always coming over here and stopping by to see her and he takes her out about once a week every week for the past few months and I want to know what he sees in my daughter to want to take her out. My daughter is 22 and she still lives at home and my daughter doesn't have much guy experience either.
    She works but that's about it. This guy from her job that takes her out has bought her a gift from bath and body works and he takes her out to eat and buys her food but, honestly I think he's using her my daughter eleven though she looks happy when she goes out with him and she talks about him a lot but I'm not sure. I'm weary because 9 times out of 10 when the age gap is this big I'm pretty sure he's after one thing and I wanna protect my daughter. I try to tell my daughter that she is being gullible and that he doesn't want her like she wants him. I feel like my daughter is desperate and putting herself on him. I rather her date someone who is at the most five years older.
    I don't think his intentions are genuine and I'm pretty sure he can't find someone his age that's why he wants my daughter. I don't mind her dating but not a guy this older. I honestly think she is either being used or potentially going to get her feelings really her with this guy. She is emotionally immature and isn't ready for him. He is way far along in life than she is and I told my daughter to not lose her virginity to this old man!
    I try to teach my daughter to not be impressed by the little things guys do but it seems like she fell for him and I have a bad feeling about this.

It sounds like he may genuinely be fond of your daughter and it might not be too fair of you to assume that his intentions are bad. I understand your discomfort in the age gap, but it really isn't a big deal, it's not like he's a 50 year old trying to date a teenager! Your Daughter is an adult, and you need to let her grow up and make and learn from her own decisions. Unless you have seen ill will or any actions that would be harmful to her, you really need to let her experience that which makes her happy without feeling like her parents are running her life and making decisions for her. We all take chances in relationships and an age gap rarely is the reason that they fail! This Man may or may not be your Daughter's Soul Mate, but only she can make that determination and needs to have the right to make That judgement on her own!
    I really can relate and have four children of my own who are now all adults. I don't and haven't always agreed with every decision that they make in their lives, and its really hard to see them fall, but I have witnessed them all pick themselves up and become the happy, responsible People that they are today! :) The Best of Wishes!

I wanted to add: Maybe if you all went to dinner together or something you might get a chance to get a better feel for him and get to know him better. This may ease your mind or confirm your worries.

P.S. I married at 16 to a 21 year old! While dating he always had respect and never expected anything else from me.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the coin I'm 35 and if I was single and dating it would be very difficult for me to take somebody who's 10 years younger than me very seriously, I think I'm most likely would end up seeing it as just a bit of fun to be honest with you because there is a maturity Gap in most cases when you're talking about distances in age like that.

I believe in most cases anyhow people in their early twenties still have a bit of growing to do and in my 30s I would feel that I'm honestly just too old to deal with that kind of maturity Gap but not to say that there aren't exceptions

I'm sure there are plenty of people in their early Twenties that are more mature than people in their thirties so don't just jump all over me all you early twenties people LOL
This discussion has been closed.