whats yr job and do u love it?

Options

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    It seems like more than half the people who've replied like their jobs. That's fantastic - how did you all do it? Did you determinedly chase your dreams? Or fall upon something really fun? Did you always know what you wanted to do?

I wonder because it seems like most people I talk to in life either merely put up with their jobs or at best, find their jobs ok. I personally just get through the days. I'm in IT, and while it pays fairly well, I count down the hours till I get to go home. So after talking to various people about how much they like their jobs, I pretty much came to the conclusion that there was no point in changing careers - that 'ok' was as good as it got and I may as well suck it up. To see that perhaps that's not the case for everyone is refreshing.

I'm a preschool teacher, loving every minute in the classroom and loving most minutes of prep and research and documentation outside the classroom.

When I was a little girl, I never wanted to play "House" with my friend and our dolls. I always wanted to play "School." As I grew up, I developed an interest in psychology and social work. I took a couple of psychology classes, thinking that's what I would "be when I grew up." Nope. Didn't fit (but the info is still very useful to me). Switched to Social Work. That was a much better fit. I loved the classes. I wanted to work with abused children. I took a part time job at a preschool so that I could get familiar with the stages of growth and development of "typical" children, thinking that knowledge would help me working with troubled children later. Then I got burned out on school, and started working at the preschool full-time. I fell in love. So I went back to school and got a degree in Early Childhood Education. And I've just never left that school. I can't get enough. I even belong to several preschool teaching groups on Facebook, because I have a deep need to talk about child development and pedogogy even outside of work hours, lol.

But...nobody teaches preschool for the salary.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am an international claims benefit analyst and I LOVE it, by far my favorite job that I have ever done.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am a corporate muralist :) I love art, so this is deff . a win for me.
  • sarah32lee
    sarah32lee Posts: 5,279 Member
    Options
    I take care of mentally challenged adults! and I do love it.. :)
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I'm a Special ED.Teachers Aide...and yes I love it!,.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    so... what do you do in the world and do u like/love it?
    Im a professional visual artist and i exhibit regularly and have my own business and yep i love it

I'm a police officer, and if I didn't love it I wouldn't do it.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that people who are not police officers honestly have no freakin' idea of what we do and don't do, so they judge us by what fanatics on the interwebz say, or by what some dumb *kitten* TV show portrays.
  • sdonovan4
    sdonovan4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Cloud Administrator and yes the best job in the world =) I would rather be a skydiving instructor which i am also working on =)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Hay and produce farmer. Yes, I do. There's never much money but it's a good way to live.
  • LetMyLightShineJT
    LetMyLightShineJT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    is a five guys like a clothing store? excuse my ignorance im from australia ... aparantly we are all ignorant lol

its a burger joint--very good!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Licensed Dental Assistant. I love it when I have a good dentist to work with.
  • LetMyLightShineJT
    Options
    911 ems dispatcher...love it...

i'm a 911 police dispatcher, some days I feel like this ... haha! :noway:
  • LetMyLightShineJT
    Options
    Im a professional visual artist and i exhibit regularly and have my own business and yep i love it

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that people who are not police officers honestly have no freakin' idea of what we do and don't do, so they judge us by what fanatics on the interwebz say, or by what some dumb *kitten* TV show portrays.

haha ... agreed I am a LE dispatcher!
  • doc2zombie
    doc2zombie Posts: 16
    Options
    Veterinarian ... retired after 23 years (19 owned my own practice). Sold it in Colorado and moved to Arizona. Absolutely LOVED surgery (especially orthopedics and reconstructive). :happy: Didn't like working with some people, but for the most part they were terrific - they really cared about their furries. Business side was not for me. :noway:
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am the teacher at our local Juvenile Detention Center.....and LOVE it!!!
    I also work part-time at Walmart as a front-end manager......and HATE it most of the time.
    Finally, I am a reserve deputy for the county sheriff's department.....and LOVE it!!!!!
    Just a bit busy....LOL
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

haha ... agreed I am a LE dispatcher!

Just another LE dispatcher here...working an overnight with my cup full of coffee! I've been doing this for some 14 years I better love it.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am a high school band director. I love the kids and creating music, but I do hate how ignorant and stupid administrators are these days. It's all about sports and screw the music (music doesn't bring home trophies o.O), BUT that is the ONLY downside of my job. I love what I do!

Pardon the type casting...but as a band nerd myself and a mother of a band nerd.....THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO!!!! Music is important in every child's education. The fight for music education has been an ongoing issue for years. I am still amazed that it has continued on this long. There are countless studies that show a child with a musical education does better in math and science then a child without such education.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    im executive assistant I love my job just would be better if Id get along better with my boss :/ he just really doesnt see how good I am and appreciates nothing. but then I think hey I wouldnt wanna have the responsibility he has and such stress so I guess its because Im sitting next to his office and when he has a bad day and then Im done lol
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What a great idea for a thread. I have recently changed careers.. use to be an admin assistant but I am now a library assistant and I *love* it!! I'm working towards becoming a librarian :)
  • ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Underground miner... I love my job!!!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm an accounting major with my bachelors just about done along with wanting to continue on and get my CPA/Masters.

I currently work for my state monitoring accounting data in a mainframe environment making sure it runs successfully. You could call it IT/Accounting. I love it! I hope to move up in this agency doing more IT/accounting type work and maybe management stuff when I get more education under my belt.