Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• St4rFire
    St4rFire Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Rae Sremmurd is Ear Drummers backwards. Riveting stuff.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL "All Star" by Smash Mouth was written with the intention of being an upbeat, self-confidence building song for fans who were being bullied for liking Smash Mouth.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Harley Quinn wasn't originally a comic book character. She was actually first introduced in Batman: The Animated Series and was so popular that the comic writers decided to add her into the comic universe.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that Frank Sinatra’s publicist auditioned and paid girls $5 to scream at his early performances to get the crowd excited.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Anaxagoras (c 510-428 BC) was the first to correctly explain eclipses. He also theorized the Sun was a star and that stars were burning rocks but the other stars are too far away to feel their heat.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Michael Jackson was a huge fan of Weird Al Yankovich. The pop star eagerly let Al do parodies of 'Beat It' and 'Bad,' and actually let him use the subway set of 'Bad' to film a music video for 'Fat.' Michael Jackson also did his best to convince other artist to let Al parody them.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL modern Air Conditioning exists out of the need to dehumidify. Cooling was a fortunate side effect.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL in Deadpool 2, one of the rednecks talking about toilet paper is actually Matt Damon in four hours worth of prosthetic makeup.

3nk0xwga8un3.jpg
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/06/arts/television-the-case-of-the-game-show-ploy.html

TIL that the 1990s PBS game show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" was created in response to a National Geographic survey stating that 1 in 4 Americans could not locate the Soviet Union or The Pacific Ocean
  • Machafin
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL modern Air Conditioning exists out of the need to dehumidify. Cooling was a fortunate side effect.

I see you too frequent r/todayilearned
  • Machafin
    Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26041727

TIL a man endured 440 days drifting across the Pacific Ocean until he was found in the Marshall Islands in 2013, emaciated and wearing only his underpants, having swum ashore.
  • Machafin
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala

TIL that a serial killer, Riodney Alcala, won ABC's "The Dating Game" while in the midst of his killing spree.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Many elevators in Denmark have a button labeled 'I fart', which translates as 'In motion'. When Queen Elizabeth II visited in 1960, strips of tape were used to cover these buttons in any elevators she used

This made me giggle.

TIL you can grill watermelon. What the hell. My mind is blown.
    hc2mz7wbrawb.jpg

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    Many elevators in Denmark have a button labeled 'I fart', which translates as 'In motion'. When Queen Elizabeth II visited in 1960, strips of tape were used to cover these buttons in any elevators she used

This made me giggle.

hc2mz7wbrawb.jpg

What I what to know is what did they just season that with?

Hmm 🤔 Mint?
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »

This made me giggle.

hc2mz7wbrawb.jpg

What I what to know is what did they just season that with?

Lime peel and red pepper flakes. Had to Google image search to retrieve this information. You damn well better appreciate it.