Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    7H3_J0K3R wrote: »
    that the saying is, "two wrongs don't make a right". I thought it was, "two frauds can't meet in life".

Like how someone can pretend to be someone they aren't?

Edit to add: Not you.
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    How to clean a fish from pond to fillets.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    George Carlin really knew his *kitten*... "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    George Carlin really knew his *kitten*... "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

I thought Mark Twain said this first.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    It's perfectly acceptable to put ice cream in your coffee if you've run out of creamer. Tested and validated.

Yup...i do this
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    If men with daughters had a 'man' treat their daughter the way they have treated women it wouldn't be so hilarious after all ... Unless you're a narcissist because then they probably wouldn't care about their children either.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that "the" was originally written as "þe" in old english. It was eventually abbreviated to "þͤ". Since "þ" looked similar to "y" in old english blackletter script, they were both mixed up. So, in old english, "Ye olde" was simply pronounced "The olde."
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    TIL that France granted the US permanent, rent-free possession of the American cemetery in Normandy, which contains the remains of 9,387 fallen troops plus a memorial to 1,557 killed there whose remains were either not found or not identified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandy_American_Cemetery_and_Memorial
  • Machafin
    Options
    TIL about the Tucker State Prison Farm scandal, in which inmates were routinely beaten, tortured with needles under their fingernails, and had their genitals crushed with pliers and electrocuted. Up to 200 inmates may have been murdered and buried around the prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Murton#Prison_scandal

Enjoy that one
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »

Dartmouth's mascot is a beer keg

It used to be an Indian but that was abolished in the 1970s

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    That spiders pay rent. Personal financial responsibility is hot.
  • Machafin
    edited August 2018
    Options
    TIL Dr. Seuss' first wife committed suicide after finding out he was cheating on her while she had cancer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Palmer_(author)

I did not need to learn this.

MFP will not let this link work, if you click it, she is the third choice (last) on the list.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL after Chamillionaire won a Grammy for “Ridin’”, he approached ‘Weird Al’ Yancovic on the red carpet, thanked him for the “White and Nerdy” parody and told him “I think your parody is a big reason why I won this Grammy, because you made it undeniable that my song was the rap song of the year."

*Side note: ‘Weird Al’ Yancovic got his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame yesterday.