Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    Options
    That matching my clothes every day is tiring!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL that Eddie Vedder wrote the song "Jeremy" because he thought it was important to give meaning to the actions of Jeremy Wade Delle, a high school student who shot himself in front of his English class in 1991.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL that the Japanese practice of repairing broken pottery with gold or silver lacquer is called Kintsukuroi which is based on the philosophy that the object is more beautiful because it was broken.

qtgfpx4axi76.jpg

I love this

What is unfortunate about this is finding true antique Kintsukuroi pottery has become more difficult because the repair technique become a production technique. The concept is beuatiful though.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Kobe Bryant’s grandmother only came to see him play one game his entire professional career. That one game versus the Toronto Raptors he scored 81 points.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that American wine had a terrible reputation until an event in 1976, called the Judgment of Paris. Wine industry luminaries blind tasted California and renowned French wines, side by side, and scored them. Surprisingly, the winning red and white wines were both from California.
  • dasmyth
    dasmyth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that as I am getting leaner, my little hernias are getting more and way more noticable! I didn't even know I had the top one until today!! Ack! Now what?!ezow5ykjmuen.jpg
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    TIL that American wine had a terrible reputation until an event in 1976, called the Judgment of Paris. Wine industry luminaries blind tasted California and renowned French wines, side by side, and scored them. Surprisingly, the winning red and white wines were both from California.

Did you watch Bottle Shock?
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL the British are often referred to as “Limey” because of their army’s use of lime to prevent scurvy when at sea. The use of citrus was initially a closely guarded military secret as it gave them the ability to remain at sea for lengthy periods without contracting the disorder.
  • cee134
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

Did you watch Bottle Shock?

I haven't seen that.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I learned that Crunchy Cheetos and junk mail make excellent kindling.
  • epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    Options
    TIL that sometimes it's just better to not say anything!
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    TIL Chandler Riggs, who plays Carl Grimes on The Walking Dead, has a stunt double who is a 23-year-old woman named Emily Brobst.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    TIL the word pluviophile (Any organism that thrives in conditions of heavy rainfall. One who loves rain, a rain-lover)
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Stephen King threw away the first few pages of Carrie until his wife fished it out of the trash can and said she liked it and would help him with the female perspective. The book would become his first published novel and wildly successful, launching his $400 million career.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that Kevin Smith actually worked at the convenience store in Clerks. He worked all day, and they filmed all night (thus the closed shutters) for 21 straight days. He slept one hour a day during filming. The whole production cost $27k, funded by maxing out credit cards and selling his comic books.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL the chemical Thioacetone is the world's smelliest substance. It's so bad that, after a lab technician dropped a vial of it, it induced instant vomiting from people in buildings almost 1/2 mile away.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL a study has revealed that the majority of American dog owners are willing to end their relationship if their dog doesn’t like their partner.

(I would be one of them. I don't need negative people in my life.)
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    TIL a study has revealed that the majority of American dog owners are willing to end their relationship if their dog doesn’t like their partner.

(I would be one of them. I don't need negative people in my life.)

You really can't deny it when your dog dislikes someone specific in your life. They know *kitten*.