Men: Dating

Options
mestacy010
mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
Question:

How long should I wait to tell someone I'm dating that I have a child?

How many guys here wouldn't date a woman if she told them she has a child? And why?

I'm pretty nervous, considering this will be my first date since my divorce :/

Replies

• FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The first sentence. Your child is your pride and joy. If a guy can't deal with that, he's a flake. This isn't 1956. Please - don't ever think of your baby doll as a hindrance to anything in life. They are nothing but an asset.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Having been in this situation before, I say tell him right away. Kids are part of the package and come first. There are plenty of men out there who are open to women with children. Best wishes on your first date :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Don't have a child, and I never really dated, but my dad was a single father (my mother died) and when I asked him about dating with a kid, he said 2nd or 3rd date. He said that on a first date, he would focus on if he even liked the person and just start to get to know them. And, if they went out again, on the 2nd or 3rd say something about "his daughter" as an ice breaker for the subject. He said it's better to let them know early on since it was a deal breaker for some women. I don't know if it's the same with men, but I would think it's somewhat similar.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not a man but, I think the sooner the better. Dating is hard when you are just getting back out there. You need to remember that it's not about presenting yourself in a way so the guy will like you. On the first date you should be asking yourself if this is a guy you like and if his values and lifestyle match up with yours. If this first date is someone who is freaked out that you have a kid, you need to know that right away because you want someone who will be happy to be in your childs life and be a good role model.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Let them know up front, no sense of keeping that a secret before even meeting someone. Why wait a few dates in to tell someone then you could have ended up wasting your time and theirs.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Having been in this situation before, I say tell him right away. Kids are part of the package and come first. There are plenty of men out there who are open to women with children. Best wishes on your first date :)

QFT
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The first sentence. Your child is your pride and joy. If a guy can't deal with that, he's a flake. This isn't 1956. Please - don't ever think of your baby doll as a hindrance to anything in life. They are nothing but an asset.
    ^^^This.
  • venturaroo
    venturaroo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That should be something that is talked about on the first date or when you're making the date. "I have to find a babysitter" is a good way of getting it out there. :smile:
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    its one of the first things you should talk about. if the other person dont want to continue dating because of your kids then they dont deserve to be with you. i have 2 kids and they are my life. My girlfriend also has 2 young boys and i treat them like my own, and thats how it should be. my kids love her to death and that makes me even happier to be with her....
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    its one of the first things you should talk about. if the other person dont want to continue dating because of your kids then they dont deserve to be with you. i have 2 kids and they are my life. My girlfriend also has 2 young boys and i treat them like my own, and thats how it should be. my kids love her to death and that makes me even happier to be with her....

Awwww, I hope one day I will find that!
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options

This. Tell them right away. If you met a new friend that you were not interested in romantically and just wanted to be friends with, would you not mention you had a child immediately? Your child is your world and you should always let everyone know that.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS!!

That makes someone a "FLAKE" ? I'm not sure whats your definition of the word but whatever it is, im considering it to be something negative,but any who why is this person a flake? just because he/she rather not date someone with a child? That's a tad bit unfair...Some people rather not date persons with child, just like some people rather date someone with a child
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You should tell the man right of the bat.

Now myself, I will not date a woman with a child. I want to start my own family with someone who has no family like myself.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

This. Tell them right away. If you met a new friend that you were not interested in romantically and just wanted to be friends with, would you not mention you had a child immediately? Your child is your world and you should always let everyone know that.

She's right.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest. I am 23 and I also wanna have my own kids. I don't think i would mind a woman with a child but at this point I couldn't afford to help her with expenses as I don't earn enough for everything I need to pay LOL...
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    As many before said. Immediately. Leave no preconceived notions out there.
    1 if you hide, even for a short time, said dude will wonder what else you are hiding.
    2 said dude may think that your "motherly instincts" are lacking if your child isn't on the forefront of what you do.
    3 said dude may have an issue with wanting or not wanting kids and you don't want to pursue someone with doifferent values and expectations.

Also, I have dated a woman with a child on 2 occasions. On one it wasn't very serious and I would not do much with the child for fear of bonding with him and breaking his heart when it didn't work out with me and his mom. On the second occasion it did get serious and I formed a great bond with the children. I would date a woman with a cold again if the need ever arose. Bearing in mind, at my age you don't find many women out there without children in my age range.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Awwww, I hope one day I will find that!

You will. Trust me I know. Can I just chime in here with all the consideration of the man's feelings that you also have a child to consider/protect. I used to wait till the 2nd or third date to figure out if the guy was any kind of weirdo first. Then I'd tell him if it hadn't come up already. It's a touchy game because you don't want to skip an opportunity where it came up naturally in conversation cause you don't want to be called a liar later, but really you don't owe a new acquaintance possible suitor nearly as much as you owe your child who you are responsible for.

Once you feel good that he's a decent guy, then tell him when it comes up naturally. I wouldn't go past 3 dates though before letting him know because by then it's clear you like the guy and think he's cool people and deserves the whole truth about you. You still could get over a guy you've only been on a date 3 times easily and vice versa. As long as you haven't exchanged enzymes. That's a whole 'nother subject though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest. I am 23 and I also wanna have my own kids. I don't think i would mind a woman with a child but at this point I couldn't afford to help her with expenses as I don't earn enough for everything I need to pay LOL...

I think you have a good head on your shoulders, even if it's not visible.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    right out of the gate.