August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I intentionally put on a dirty running shirt this morning. It was full off accomplishment so why not. I also have been wearing the same socks for 3 or more days now. They don't stink. Honest.

I'm curious, anyone else suddenly find an attachment to clothing before it's laundered after taking up running?

I am showered, deoderant, hair fixed, brushed, flossed and used mouthwash today. So it's not like I'm pigpen. I don't think.... :grey_question:

ETA work really stinks, so no one would notice anyway.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just can't keep up with this thread... will try to remember to measure calf because I haven't done that for awhile.

@_nikkiwolf_ Good point about the zombie (or other) apocalypse scenario. As a type 1 diabetic who would die without insulin, my first disaster action is to raid pharmacies. But in terms of zombies, I love using the Zombies, Run! app and love most anything zombie-related. I can't wait until this fall when TWD is back. My biggest problem with a real zombie apocalypse is that there is strength in numbers / groups and I'm not a people-person. In fact, I'm probably one of the biggest loners I know and prefer it that way. Perhaps if I avoid people, I will also be able to avoid zoms.

I am also a loner, I can play nice with others when I have to but overall prefer solitude. I think if the Zombies come, it is easier to hide 1 person rather then a group so I might be OK.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »

Today's notes: Slept in until 0425 this morning, and that felt pretty good after my short but hard double day yesterday. Today's plan was 8 miles. I got in 8.1 in 1:17:23 for an average pace of 9:33. Average HR was 150, so that was good, as was the fact that I spent 95% of the run in z1 or z2.

Curious what your zones are and where you got them. Being in z1 & z2 95% of the time but an average of 150 just seems high to me.

Based on a 175 LTHR, my z2 tops out at 155 using Fitzgeralds system. High HR was 158

Awesome! High LTHR. I've never had my run actually tested (nor done it myself), just based it off my bike test. Planning to do them both as soon as I can withstand the workout!

I ran a Friel test last year to get my LTHR. It might not be totally accurate..but it seems to work, I cut 3 minutes from my 5k time using it last fall..... boy will I be angry if I test again and it's lower according to my Garmin!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to be able to run again starting Sunday since that will be 2 weeks after my stupidity and my knee has been feeling better except for one thing. First thing in the morning when I get out of bed. I sleep on my stomach with my knee hiked up to my side and when I first wake up and straighten my leg my knee gives me 1 sharp pain then it is fine the rest of the day. I am hoping this is close enough to pain free to let start easy runs again Sunday. What do you all think? I don't want to aggravate anything but I have so much pent up energy right now I am struggling to sleep at night. Gym work outs aren't enough to drain my like running does. Help!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Today's notes: Slept in until 0425 this morning, and that felt pretty good after my short but hard double day yesterday. Today's plan was 8 miles. I got in 8.1 in 1:17:23 for an average pace of 9:33. Average HR was 150, so that was good, as was the fact that I spent 95% of the run in z1 or z2.

Curious what your zones are and where you got them. Being in z1 & z2 95% of the time but an average of 150 just seems high to me.

Based on a 175 LTHR, my z2 tops out at 155 using Fitzgeralds system. High HR was 158

Awesome! High LTHR. I've never had my run actually tested (nor done it myself), just based it off my bike test. Planning to do them both as soon as I can withstand the workout!

I'm like this too, with high zones. I believe my LTHR is around 179 (based on a 10k I raced, which wasn't even my fastest, but it was hot/humid, it took me 58 min, and my avg HR was 179). The highest HR I've ever seen was 195, at the very end of a hot and stupid humid (96%) 5k race last month.

According to Fitzgerald, my estimated LTHR gives me the following zones:

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I ran a Friel test last year to get my LTHR. It might not be totally accurate..but it seems to work, I cut 3 minutes from my 5k time using it last fall..... boy will I be angry if I test again and it's lower according to my Garmin!

I'm reading through the Triathlete's Training Bible for the 2nd time. Just "getting in shape" now and will do some actual tests in the next week or two. They will be depressing considering how much better shape I was in when I paid someone to test me! lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I'm glad I'm not thr only one with crazy zones!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    I am hoping to be able to run again starting Sunday since that will be 2 weeks after my stupidity and my knee has been feeling better except for one thing. First thing in the morning when I get out of bed. I sleep on my stomach with my knee hiked up to my side and when I first wake up and straighten my leg my knee gives me 1 sharp pain then it is fine the rest of the day. I am hoping this is close enough to pain free to let start easy runs again Sunday. What do you all think? I don't want to aggravate anything but I have so much pent up energy right now I am struggling to sleep at night. Gym work outs aren't enough to drain my like running does. Help!

You could definitely try it out, but be ready to stop if you should. And if it's fine, might keep in mind a reasonable distance.
  • Irontri7
    Options

I'm like this too, with high zones. I believe my LTHR is around 179 (based on a 10k I raced, which wasn't even my fastest, but it was hot/humid, it took me 58 min, and my avg HR was 179). The highest HR I've ever seen was 195, at the very end of a hot and stupid humid (96%) 5k race last month.

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg

I hope I never have to run in that nor see a HR that high! That's why I do Ironman and not short races...slow and steady, I'm not a sprinter!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @orphia that's some great running! You'll have a great marathon!
    @skippygirlsmom that photo of your daughter...wow! Beautiful girl.
    @MNLittleFinn what training plan are you following?
    @kimlight2 sorry to hear about your knee pain. I'd test it out with a brisk walk for 2 or 3 miles, and see how that goes, then step up to a short, easy run. I suspect you'll be fine.

My Achilles had no pain this morning, so hopefully last last night was an aberration.

Getting back into running more miles than I have been I'm finding it more humbling than I expected. I looked back at my records and see I had a 34 day stretch (early June to early July) with only 21 miles total. I suppose it's going to take some more time than I'm giving it to get back to form. Even last night, with temps in the 50s and a nice breeze to cool me off, I had to walk two times in my run. I hated that!!! I need to be patient though. I shouldn't expect to breeze through 10 mile runs like I used to.

• KatieJane83
    Options

Haha, yeah, I used to worry about it, but I think I just naturally have a higher HR. If I use that 220-age formula it tells me my max HR should be 186, so apparently I should already be dead, but I'm pretty sure that formula is quite inaccurate for a large % of the population. :D

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg

I hope I never have to run in that nor see a HR that high! That's why I do Ironman and not short races...slow and steady, I'm not a sprinter!

Ha! My favorite race distance (so far, I'm doing my 1st full marathon in Nov) is actually the half marathon right now. I kinda actually hate running 5ks. I'm generally miserable the entire time I'm running them, but then when I finish, I still have that drive to do another one in the future, to see if I get faster. Oy. #runnerproblems
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 my plan is a Hybrid between Koerners 100k and the 70MPW plan from Relentless forward progress, with some modifications because...life... mainly the 2 a days are thr mod, since I don't have any "easy" trail miles near by
  • Irontri7
    Options

Haha, yeah, I used to worry about it, but I think I just naturally have a higher HR. If I use that 220-age formula it tells me my max HR should be 186, so apparently I should already be dead, but I'm pretty sure that formula is quite inaccurate for a large % of the population. :D

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg

Ha! My favorite race distance (so far, I'm doing my 1st full marathon in Nov) is actually the half marathon right now. I kinda actually hate running 5ks. I'm generally miserable the entire time I'm running them, but then when I finish, I still have that drive to do another one in the future, to see if I get faster. Oy. #runnerproblems

I hate 5ks, too! I've only ever run one. I do speed workouts 1x a week to get my "fast" muscles. What marathon are you doing? I see you're a fellow NYer - I'm up in Albany.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Did any of you ever do the
    kinetic revolution 30 day challenge/?
    It's 10-15min of exercises or drills - all kinds of promising-sounding stuff like mobiity, plyometrics, balance, technique drills, ...

Should be good for injury prevention and running technique. It's free, so I've decided to give it a go. Anyone else who wants to join and start with day 1 with me today?
    If you don't want to enter your mail address to sign up, you can get to all individual days of the challenge via this link: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/welcome-to-the-challenge/
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Did any of you ever do the
    kinetic revolution 30 day challenge/?
    It's 10-15min of exercises or drills - all kinds of promising-sounding stuff like mobiity, plyometrics, balance, technique drills, ...

Should be good for injury prevention and running technique. It's free, so I've decided to give it a go. Anyone else who wants to join and start with day 1 with me today?
    If you don't want to enter your mail address to sign up, you can get to all individual days of the challenge via this link: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/welcome-to-the-challenge/

I'll give it a go!
  • KatieJane83
    edited August 2017
    Options

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg

I hate 5ks, too! I've only ever run one. I do speed workouts 1x a week to get my "fast" muscles. What marathon are you doing? I see you're a fellow NYer - I'm up in Albany.

@Irontri7 Ha! Yes! Making connections through shared hatred of 5ks :D I love it.

I do speed workouts once a week too. The great thing right now is during the summer my local running club does group speed workouts once a week, on Wednesdays. I find speed workouts are much more bearable when there are others around to share the misery with, lol.

I'm down in Rockland County, about 10 minutes from the Tappan Zee Bridge. I passed your neck of the woods a couple weekends ago, when I went up to visit my aunt and uncle in Saratoga!

I'm doing the Philly Marathon on 11/19. It often comes up on lists of the best marathons for 1st-timers, it's a reasonable distance from where I live, and you don't have to jump through hoops to get into it, so I figured it was a good fit. Also, it allows me to plan on trying BOTH famous Philly cheese steaks (Pat's and Geno's I think?) after the race, cause, you know, you can't really beat side-by-side taste tests to find which is the best, and what better excuse to gorge myself on multiple cheese steaks than having just run a marathon?