kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    August Goal: 60 miles

8/1: 4 miles
    8/2: 3.1 miles
    8/3: 2.2 miles

9.3/60 miles completed

I was too tired to update last night, plus I was over 100 posts behind so I decided to update this morning instead. I had planned to take yesterday as a rest day since I was driving my mom to Dallas but I got home early enough and after spending so much time cooped up in the car I decided to go for a short run. I've been having some sciatica problems lately when I drive long distances. I don't really know if I should run when my hip is hurting like that. But honestly it feels better when I run (or walk) and afterwards too. Sitting seems to make it worse so I ran. Plus, I realized that since I had run a 5k on Saturday and took Sunday as my rest day that I didn't need Thursday to be a rest day after all. I should probably take the dogs to the park today. I felt a little guilty about not taking them yesterday, but I was selfish and went for a run instead. They get plenty of exercise and I'm kind of hoping I can get my husband to go with us to the park. I can handle both of them together, but it is nice to only have to deal with one dog at a time. I did some nice stretchy yoga this morning and I'm planning to take tomorrow as my rest day. I do have a lot of projects around the house, so I don't know if I'll get much "rest".

@garygse The skunks have been pretty active in my area lately too. I smelled skunk this morning and then heard my dogs and my neighbor's dogs barking. This was while I was doing yoga. It is hard to keep your focus when you are worried about your dogs getting sprayed by a skunk. Luckily though no one got sprayed. I guess they scared it off, but didn't scare it too bad.

exercise.png

• carrie_eliza
    carrie_eliza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am not sure how you all do it when it is so very hot and humid out. It was already near 80 this morning with about 85% humidity and I just couldn't do it... I also got distracted by wedding planning tasks from my daughter but that just became an excuse. Now it is over 90 with a feels like of 96 so this afternoon I will run first on the dreadmill at the gym before doing my strength training.

I get up at 5...still disgustingly hot and humid, but at least there's no sun beating down on me. I make sure to drink a ton of water the day before; it helps, but not a lot. The only reason that I suffer through it instead of running on the treadmill is because my first two 10ks are going to be in similar weather and I don't want to bonk on race day because I've been training in A/C.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

I'm doing the Philly Marathon on 11/19. It often comes up on lists of the best marathons for 1st-timers, it's a reasonable distance from where I live, and you don't have to jump through hoops to get into it, so I figured it was a good fit. Also, it allows me to plan on trying BOTH famous Philly cheese steaks (Pat's and Geno's I think?) after the race, cause, you know, you can't really beat side-by-side taste tests to find which is the best, and what better excuse to gorge myself on multiple cheese steaks than having just run a marathon?

@KatieJane83 I've done Philly twice (2015 and 2016) but am taking a break from it this year (the roads in Philly + 26.2 miles do not agree with my cramp-prone calves!). My running group always has about 6-10 people there and we go to Whole Foods afterward. It's only about half a mile from the finish and then everyone can get whatever food they want in the WF cafe. But authentic cheesesteaks sounds like an even better option! If you want any parking tips, let me know, because we've managed free/cheap parking each year! :)
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Did any of you ever do the
    kinetic revolution 30 day challenge/?
    It's 10-15min of exercises or drills - all kinds of promising-sounding stuff like mobiity, plyometrics, balance, technique drills, ...

Should be good for injury prevention and running technique. It's free, so I've decided to give it a go. Anyone else who wants to join and start with day 1 with me today?
    If you don't want to enter your mail address to sign up, you can get to all individual days of the challenge via this link: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/welcome-to-the-challenge/

Looks like fun I am in.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 I'm glad I'm not thr only one with crazy zones!

Haha, yeah, I used to worry about it, but I think I just naturally have a higher HR. If I use that 220-age formula it tells me my max HR should be 186, so apparently I should already be dead, but I'm pretty sure that formula is quite inaccurate for a large % of the population. :D

Today's notes: Slept in until 0425 this morning, and that felt pretty good after my short but hard double day yesterday. Today's plan was 8 miles. I got in 8.1 in 1:17:23 for an average pace of 9:33. Average HR was 150, so that was good, as was the fact that I spent 95% of the run in z1 or z2.

Curious what your zones are and where you got them. Being in z1 & z2 95% of the time but an average of 150 just seems high to me.

Based on a 175 LTHR, my z2 tops out at 155 using Fitzgeralds system. High HR was 158

Awesome! High LTHR. I've never had my run actually tested (nor done it myself), just based it off my bike test. Planning to do them both as soon as I can withstand the workout!

I'm like this too, with high zones. I believe my LTHR is around 179 (based on a 10k I raced, which wasn't even my fastest, but it was hot/humid, it took me 58 min, and my avg HR was 179). The highest HR I've ever seen was 195, at the very end of a hot and stupid humid (96%) 5k race last month.

According to Fitzgerald, my estimated LTHR gives me the following zones:

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg

I hope I never have to run in that nor see a HR that high! That's why I do Ironman and not short races...slow and steady, I'm not a sprinter!

Ha! My favorite race distance (so far, I'm doing my 1st full marathon in Nov) is actually the half marathon right now. I kinda actually hate running 5ks. I'm generally miserable the entire time I'm running them, but then when I finish, I still have that drive to do another one in the future, to see if I get faster. Oy. #runnerproblems

I hate 5ks, too! I've only ever run one. I do speed workouts 1x a week to get my "fast" muscles. What marathon are you doing? I see you're a fellow NYer - I'm up in Albany.

@Irontri7 Ha! Yes! Making connections through shared hatred of 5ks :D I love it.

I do speed workouts once a week too. The great thing right now is during the summer my local running club does group speed workouts once a week, on Wednesdays. I find speed workouts are much more bearable when there are others around to share the misery with, lol.

I'm down in Rockland County, about 10 minutes from the Tappan Zee Bridge. I passed your neck of the woods a couple weekends ago, when I went up to visit my aunt and uncle in Saratoga!

I'm doing the Philly Marathon on 11/19. It often comes up on lists of the best marathons for 1st-timers, it's a reasonable distance from where I live, and you don't have to jump through hoops to get into it, so I figured it was a good fit. Also, it allows me to plan on trying BOTH famous Philly cheese steaks (Pat's and Geno's I think?) after the race, cause, you know, you can't really beat side-by-side taste tests to find which is the best, and what better excuse to gorge myself on multiple cheese steaks than having just run a marathon?

Great! My local club has a group speed workout at the UAlbany track on Tuesdays! I may start going in a few weeks.

I love going to Saratoga, especially with the track open now. I've been up there too much lately!

I've never done a solo marathon, but I can't think of a much better reason to compare cheese steaks! I've been to Philly quite a bit for work, but never been to either place. I'm heading down in another month, and with all my training it might be worth a stop!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's 10-15min of exercises or drills - all kinds of promising-sounding stuff like mobiity, plyometrics, balance, technique drills, ...

Should be good for injury prevention and running technique. It's free, so I've decided to give it a go. Anyone else who wants to join and start with day 1 with me today?
    If you don't want to enter your mail address to sign up, you can get to all individual days of the challenge via this link: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/welcome-to-the-challenge/

I'm in.
  • kimlight2
    Options
    @Elise4270 and @7lenny7 Thank you. I am planning on an easy mile or 2 run on a soft wetlands trail, staying off asphalt as much as possible. I am just nervous about pushing it and prolonging the "Runner's Vacation" shall we say.
    I am planning to do the Big Game race series in Canton, Ohio that is football centered. When I was first emailed about it the first race in the 4 race series was a 5K in conjunction with the Akron Marathon so I ran that. The rest were another 5k in September for first day of regular season, a 10K in November for the halfway point of the season then a 5 miler on Superbowl Saturday. It all sounded good and like a fun time and only an hour away from home so not bad travel time. The updated schedule just came out and now it is a 5K in September, the 5 miler in February, a 5k on 4/28/18 for draft day and a full or half marathon on 4/29/18 for the final event. I am so mad!!! It is pretty hill around that area so not what I wanted for my first half especially with a 5K the day before. I know time will be irrelevant since I am slow no matter what even with age grading and all that but it looked like fun now I am not so sure. Thanks just needed to whine/vent for a minute.
  • kimlight2
    Options
    @7lenny7 Welcome back! You will be back to form before you know it.

@KatieJane83 - I love the way you think about post marathon nutrition. A direct comparison is the best way after all. My son's hockey goalie coach is based in Philly and is trying to get us to come to his Super Elite camp next year. A cheesesteak comparison road trip might be the extra incentive we need to drive the 8 hours for a week long camp. :smile:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I'm glad I'm not thr only one with crazy zones!

Haha, yeah, I used to worry about it, but I think I just naturally have a higher HR. If I use that 220-age formula it tells me my max HR should be 186, so apparently I should already be dead, but I'm pretty sure that formula is quite inaccurate for a large % of the population. :D

Today's notes: Slept in until 0425 this morning, and that felt pretty good after my short but hard double day yesterday. Today's plan was 8 miles. I got in 8.1 in 1:17:23 for an average pace of 9:33. Average HR was 150, so that was good, as was the fact that I spent 95% of the run in z1 or z2.

Curious what your zones are and where you got them. Being in z1 & z2 95% of the time but an average of 150 just seems high to me.

Based on a 175 LTHR, my z2 tops out at 155 using Fitzgeralds system. High HR was 158

Awesome! High LTHR. I've never had my run actually tested (nor done it myself), just based it off my bike test. Planning to do them both as soon as I can withstand the workout!

I'm like this too, with high zones. I believe my LTHR is around 179 (based on a 10k I raced, which wasn't even my fastest, but it was hot/humid, it took me 58 min, and my avg HR was 179). The highest HR I've ever seen was 195, at the very end of a hot and stupid humid (96%) 5k race last month.

According to Fitzgerald, my estimated LTHR gives me the following zones:

zawo6xdg5bz6.jpg

I hope I never have to run in that nor see a HR that high! That's why I do Ironman and not short races...slow and steady, I'm not a sprinter!

Ha! My favorite race distance (so far, I'm doing my 1st full marathon in Nov) is actually the half marathon right now. I kinda actually hate running 5ks. I'm generally miserable the entire time I'm running them, but then when I finish, I still have that drive to do another one in the future, to see if I get faster. Oy. #runnerproblems

I hate 5ks, too! I've only ever run one. I do speed workouts 1x a week to get my "fast" muscles. What marathon are you doing? I see you're a fellow NYer - I'm up in Albany.

@Irontri7 Ha! Yes! Making connections through shared hatred of 5ks :D I love it.

I do speed workouts once a week too. The great thing right now is during the summer my local running club does group speed workouts once a week, on Wednesdays. I find speed workouts are much more bearable when there are others around to share the misery with, lol.

I'm down in Rockland County, about 10 minutes from the Tappan Zee Bridge. I passed your neck of the woods a couple weekends ago, when I went up to visit my aunt and uncle in Saratoga!

Great! My local club has a group speed workout at the UAlbany track on Tuesdays! I may start going in a few weeks.

I love going to Saratoga, especially with the track open now. I've been up there too much lately!

I've never done a solo marathon, but I can't think of a much better reason to compare cheese steaks! I've been to Philly quite a bit for work, but never been to either place. I'm heading down in another month, and with all my training it might be worth a stop!

Nice! We actually went to the racetrack when I was up there, it was opening weekend. It was my first time there, definitely a fun experience.

And you should definitely get some Philly cheese steaks. I mean, come on, gotta fuel the workouts, right?

Jumping in late to the calf vs thigh convo, but you guys got me really curious, so I had to check, lol. I measured in cm, since that's what you guys were all doing. calf - 36cm, thigh (widest part) - 52cm. I'm currently about 10lbs below the top end of my healthy BMI range (supposedly my ideal racing weight is another 12lbs less than I currently am, but I think people might think I was anorexic if I got that low!), and somewhere around 24-25% bf if you believe those online calculators that use your weight and measurements, and photo guides to bf%.

@kristinegift awesome, thank you so much! I'll be going down the day before, so should probably really be looking into places to stay, yikes. Any tips/info/etc you have regarding parking or any other logistics are greatly appreciated! Not sure if I'll be staying that night or not, but I definitely already took that Monday off from work, lol.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

@KatieJane83 - I love the way you think about post marathon nutrition. A direct comparison is the best way after all. My son's hockey goalie coach is based in Philly and is trying to get us to come to his Super Elite camp next year. A cheesesteak comparison road trip might be the extra incentive we need to drive the 8 hours for a week long camp. :smile:

haha, yes! That is a good incentive!

I figure I'll be stressing enough about nutrition and fueling in the weeks/months before the marathon, that post-race splurging will be a fitting reward! :D
  • seanevan10
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »

I'm in.

Day one done.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Oh @garygse perfect skunky timing. Congratulations on the last day! Are they feeding you? Special treatment today?
  • seanevan10
    Options
    8/01/2017 - 0 miles
    8/02/2017 - 9 miles Z3/Z4
    8/03/2017 - 7 miles Z2
    8/04/2017 - 5 Easy miles

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

08/05/2017 - Cranberry Cup 5k.
    08/05/2017 - Howl at the Moon night race 5k
    08/12/2017 - Friends of the Riverfront Trail Run - 15k
    10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Tomorrow I have a double header, so limited myself to just 5miles at very easy pace. Dew point was 68 so I was still dripping but at least I will not be sore tomorrow.

Also, today makes 21 years of marriage. Not to shabby I think. :smiley:

Happy Anniversary!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I have read that it is good for Marathoners to run 5ks - other wise they (we) tend to get comfortable adding distance and never push for speed. 5ks supposedly help our Marathon pace.

No idea if it is true, but I have 2 5ks tomorrow...

Absent a training plan designed to work on speed for a marathon, it seems plausible that running 5Ks could help.

5K race pace is approximately I (as in "interval") pace in the Jack Daniels system. The sound track from my coach is that the phase of marathon training that is heavy on I pace is trying to improve your lactic threshold pace. By implication, this would make all your paces faster. So if you don't have designed speed work to improve your lactic threshold pace, running 5Ks would seem like the next best thing.

That is probably it - since most people I know are not @mobycarp and tend to just run miles, not formal work outs.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

Plus, post-race food is the best food! I've had some pretty crappy pizza after an Ironman, but it tastes sooooo good!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    shrcpr wrote: »
    @Andy504 welcome!
    @girlinahat, hugs to you - hope you're ok from the crash and so sorry about the loss of your pet. Losing pets is so hard.

This morning's run was a quick 3 miles. My training plan had me warm up for 10 minutes, run 12 minutes at my fastest pace, and then cool down for 10 minutes. But then the app didn't even tell me what my split pace was for those 12 minutes, just for the entire miles. That's dumb.

August totals: 7.19 / 75

Are you using MapMyFitness? That's what I used at the beginning of the year. It was a good training program but definitely needs work! I can't do a good interval unless you tell me when to start and stop!

Yes, that's what I'm using. I have a really hard time with intervals and changing my pace but I'm new at that so hoping it gets better.

@WandaVaughn, our halfs are just a week apart - mine is November 12 and my first as well. What is the name of yours? I like to look them up and see the courses. Mine is the Monterey Bay Half-Marathon in Monterey, CA.

Had a nice run this morning. 5.2 miles at a 10:26 pace.

August totals: 12.39 / 75
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Happy Anniversary!

@_nikkiwolf_ - I would like to join the kinetic revolution 30 day challenge

8/1 - 3 mile run
    8/2 - Rest Day
    8/3 - Thunderstorms this morning, no running this morning. Thunderstorms are suppose to clear out this afternoon and if the roads are dry enough I will run this evening. If not, dreadmill at the gym. Life happened - work an hour over at job, then when I arrived home my son needed stuff for his football retreat this weekend, so off to the store we went.
    8/4 - 4 mile run

August Total: 7/71