August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    36 and 50 here. Makes me think I need to do a new set of overall measurements. I realize 10inches above knee isn't quite where I normally measure... and I'm not sure it's ever occurred to me to measure my calves.... but the thigh measurement is not nearly as big as I was expecting it to be. And if it's actually smaller, than maybe other things are too.

No running today, I was a good kid.... ok, so maybe there was lightening and it helped that.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    36 and 50 here. Makes me think I need to do a new set of overall measurements. I realize 10inches above knee isn't quite where I normally measure... and I'm not sure it's ever occurred to me to measure my calves.... but the thigh measurement is not nearly as big as I was expecting it to be. And if it's actually smaller, than maybe other things are too.

No running today, I was a good kid.... ok, so maybe there was lightening and it helped that.

Not ten INCHES above the knee... they are measuring ten CENTIMETERS above the knee. :)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    I work tonight, and then my husband and I are packing to leave town for a few days. A visit with my mother on Saturday, my class reunion, followed by a drive to Iowa. My mother will be travelling with us. We are spending a couple of days with my older sister, but my mother will be there a couple of weeks. We would like to visit the Amana Colonies, but not sure whether to take my mother or not. (She is 89 y.o. and walks without a walker, but she is a very slow walker. She refuses to exercise to improve her stamina.) I am not sure she will be able to do very much walking. Has anyone been there? Is there a lot of walking involved?

There could be a lot of walking @ereck44. I haven't been for years, and probably just drove to one or two places per trip (restaurants/food mostly). But if you want to shop around and see several places you might be in for a fair amount of walking. If there are a few things you want to hit, you could drive from one to the other. Here's an interactive map if it helps:
    http://www.amanacolonies.com/interactive-map/?h=738

Thanks for the link. Wow! It does look like quite a lot of walking. I will talk to her about it. She is in pretty good shape for her age and for really avoiding exercise like the plague.
  • ereck44
    Options
    I can't believe it. August 1 and I am 7 pages behind.

My goal for this month is 60 and I am going to get it this time.

August 4....Another late start, but hadn't planned to run. I decided last minute to run a short one. I wish that I had more time....nice cool weather...66 degrees with cool wind. I ran a little faster than usual but still stayed in the zone for all but 8 minutes. Sprinted the last quarter of a mile.

We should be in Iowa on Sunday.

August 1....6 miles.
    August 2....8 miles.
    August 4...4 miles.

total....18 miles
    goal--60 miles

• ereck44
    Options
    5.5 mile run today through the meadow portion of Busse Woods. Very cloudy and only 67F. A bit breezy as well. Not too bad for August.

The meadow was pretty empty, which meant it was just me and the five million birds that were flitting through the tall grasses. It was a very peaceful, zen run. Loved it.

xplu4szwuexs.jpg

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be dry and not too hot, so it's definitely LONG RUN DAY!

August total - 19.7 / 100

It looks beautiful but where is the path? Or are you running freely through the meadow?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal: 4 x 4

8/1: 4.72 1hr
    8/2 4.58 1:01
    8/3 rest
    8/4 5.26 1:03

Total 14.56

Happy Anniversary @PastorVincent
    Good thoughts for you @girlinahat

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    Hilo Bay 5 and 10k 9/10
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Well, shoot it is 57 degrees. Hrm. I was planning to run to the 5k this morning, it is only 1.5 miles or so from my door as the runner runs. Should easily make it and not even take that much longer than driving, but I will get sweaty and then stand around in wet clothes waiting for the race to start. That seems sub optimal.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent sounds like an easy bike ride if your looking for options.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    We are only an hour before the start but we are the first runners to arrive. Odd.